+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Holiday - 12/08

The Holiday - 12/08

It sounds like an intriguing movie that takes two women, (one American and one British) has them move overseas and exchange lifestyles.

I really want to see this film -- I think it looks really good!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

This sounds an awful lot like a novel by British chick lit author Jane Green. Any word on whether or not the movie's based on it?

In any case, it sounds like a fun concept. I adore Kate Winslet and tend to like everything she's in.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

PG-13 Romantic Comedy

From Hollywood.com
    Synopsis:
    Iris is in love with a man who is about to marry another woman. Across the globe, Amanda realizes the man she lives with has been unfaithful. Two women who have never met and live 6000 miles apart, find themselves in the exact same place. They meet online at a home exchange website and impulsively switch homes for the holiday. Iris moves into Amanda's L.A. house in sunny California as Amanda arrives in the snow covered English countryside. Shortly after arriving at their destinations, both women find the last thing either wants or expects: a new romance. Amanda is charmed by Iris' handsome brother Graham and Iris, with inspiration provided by legendary screenwriter Arthur, mends her heart when she meets film composer Miles.

Cast Credit
    Cameron Diaz -- Amanda Woods
    Kate Winslet -- Iris Simpkins
    Jude Law -- Graham
    Jack Black -- Miles
    Eli Wallach -- Arthur Abbott
    Edward J. Burns -- Ethan
    Jon Prescott -- Maggie's Boyfriend
    Shannyn Sossamon -- Maggie

I just saw the two words that ensure I won't want to see this movie: Cameron Diaz.
    I'll be giving this a miss

I want to see this movie!I'm not a big chick flick Movies, but this looks good. And Jack Black......
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2146804;
    This sounds an awful lot like a novel by British chick lit author Jane Green. Any word on whether or not the movie's based on it?

In any case, it sounds like a fun concept. I adore Kate Winslet and tend to like everything she's in.
    Geek - I was thinking that it reminded me of Maeve Binchy's Tara Road. I haven't found any information to indicate that the movie was adapted from a book, but the similarities sure are obvious.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just had a look at IMDB and it says that the movie was written by Nancy Meyers.
    The trivia section claims it was written with the four main actors in mind for the lead roles, so I assume this is an original work although one that obviously borrows heavily from others as both Crit and gtg are reminded of other works.
    I don't know how accurate that site generally is though.
    It's rather irritating that there are a lot of actors that I like in this movie, but Cameron, ugh, I just don't think I can watch it.

There was a movie with Juliette Binoche and William Hurt called A Week in Paris or something. They switched apartments and...oops, I won't tell more. That's what this brought to mind for me, but I dont know what the plot outline is for this one. The Binoche movie was good, though.

Jude Law was on Regis & Kelly this morning. He just basically said it was nice working with Cameron Diaz & it's his first romantic comedy. Personally, I wish they'd chosen an actress a bit younger and more petite, or innocent, or something...Alicia Silverstone maybe?? Maybe I'm just kinda sick of Cameron though.

well, my sister and I both want to see this movie. I want to see it for Jack Black and Kate Winslett, she wants to see it for Cameron Diaz and Jude Law lol.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I love the cast -- think it is going to be a fun, feel good movie. Definitely will be checking it next week with a few other really good films coming out.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast