+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Departed

The Departed

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407887/

Usually after seeing a movie this is the first place I look to see what people thought. I was surprised there was no thread for this but it is so new.

OK

People!! you gotta see this movie! All I can say is WOW

And, I humbly predict this baby is gonna be up for some serious Oscars.
    Mat Damon was amazing
    Mark Wahlborg (sp) ditto
    Leonardo should win b.s.a for this one. (between him and Damon)
    the one woman that starred in it got slammed but, I thought she was very good (I saw her in a movie called 15 minutes where she played a russian girl so thought this was a big switch and she was perfect)
    Jack Nicholson ......well I live in Boson so I'm really picky about actors screwing up the Beantown accent (Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting was not good) won an oscar anyway.
    Jack is jack and the guy is just one of the best actors on the planet IMHO.

eta Jack screwed the accent up a lot but pulled it off anyway....... : )

3 hours haven't gone by this fast in a theater for me in a long, long time.

A+!!

So curious what other people ON HERE thought of this..........

I think it'll be up for best picture, director too. Just a big WOW.

FORT Fogey
    I'll be checking it out one day soon, JamiLee, so I'll let you know what I think.

Gotta agree. I saw it this past weekend. I wasn't hot to see it, but my husband wanted to so I forced myself. Wow - so glad I did. One of the best this year. Acting - A+ by all major cast members. Jack Nicholson was himself, but no one on the planet can chew the scenery as well as Jack and make it seem like he is a great actor. The major leads - Matt Damon and Leonardo DeCaprio were both terrific and Mark Wahlberg was surprising good playing off type. The female lead is an America actress of slavic origins that has done a lot of TV, but very few movie roles. She is not used enough, in my opinion. I recommend it everyone - but don't bring the kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    Gotta agree. I saw it this past weekend. I wasn't hot to see it, but my husband wanted to so I forced myself. Wow - so glad I did. One of the best this year. Acting - A+ by all major cast members. Jack Nicholson was himself, but no one on the planet can chew the scenery as well as Jack and make it seem like he is a great actor. The major leads - Matt Damon and Leonardo DeCaprio were both terrific and Mark Wahlberg was surprising good playing off type. The female lead is an America actress of slavic origins that has done a lot of TV, but very few movie roles. She is not used enough, in my opinion. I recommend it everyone - but don't bring the kiddies.

I couldn't wait to see it and that is when I usually am "let down". Leonardo was a lead I was thinking supporting but, him and Jack should be interesting if they both get a best actor nom and Leonardo should win.
    well put Aname. There is a better word to describe the "flow" of a movie. Whatever that is this movie had and I attribute that to the director who should win the Oscar. The last movie I saw that I liked this much was "Crash".

Pom!! You will love it ! Curious as to what you as a fellow Bostonian thinks about how they did or didn't pull off the accents. Jack can screw up and still do anything perfectly. Leonardo FINALLY looks older than 18 and was just so RAW.

I'm going to see this again this weekend with my daughter. (she's 20)
    Aname I saw some young kids and was shocked that their parents (parent in this case) had them there. Way too much for any kid under age IMHO.

Saw this a few days ago and liked it a lot. The theatre was so full that we had to sit in the second row and as much as I hate sitting so close to the screen, in this instance it was perfect and I highly recommend watching this movie from real up close because it lends another dimension to the whole experience. It gave me a feeling of almost being part of the whole thing which was in turn horrifying and unsettlingly thrilling.

The violence and the ammount of blood in the film is of course excessive, as befitting a good mobster and cops movie with even a bit of realism to it, but oddly it all made sense and to me and it felt as if the death/blood/gore was one of the main characters in the movie. It's not often that I see a violent movie and I think that it was just right, that any less violence would have been a cop-out and any more would have been cartoonish and contrived.

I thought DeCaprio was awesome in it and he did a good job of making me forget the sense of inevitability I felt about his character at the beginning of the movie, so much so that the ending came as somewhat of a shock even though I saw it coming. Now that's a very good thing!
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 10-14-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Five words:

Can't. Wait. To. See. This.

Alright, a few more words: My sister, who lives in the U.K., saw this the other weekend and loved it. Since our tastes in movies tend to differ quite a bit, I was surprised to hear how much she liked it; I thought it would be more up my alley. Seeing that many of my favourite actors are in it, and seeing how much I love pre-Gangs of New York and The Aviator-Scorsese, I'd be very surprised if I didn't love it. As soon as it opens in this ungodly part of the world, I'll write a review.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm also looking forward to this. Some of it was filmed in my neighborhood (right across the street - I think it might be Jack Nicholson's home), so a bunch of my neighbors are planning to get together and go as a group. I can't wait, myself!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

It's definitely one of the best movie's I've seen this year - aptly named as well. Both myself & my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed it - I'd definitely reommend it!!!

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

OMG, I, loved, loved The Departed.
    This is some great work from DiCaprio and Damon and of course Jack.... And I loved the look and the pace and the editing which is fantastic!. Thank you Marty!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by JamiLee;2098351;
    Pom!! You will love it ! Curious as to what you as a fellow Bostonian thinks about how they did or didn't pull off the accents. Jack can screw up and still do anything perfectly. Leonardo FINALLY looks older than 18 and was just so RAW.
    It took me four months to see it but I finally saw it last night and, YES, I LOVED IT!!!

I thought the accents were very well done, overall, and I thought the sarcasm, mannerisms, etc., were right on.

I thought Matt Damon was superb; I hated his guts in this movie and I was really happy with the ending, so that says to me that Matt Damon did his job.

It was great. I'm sure it'll do well at the Oscars. It should, and I hope there's a Best Director award, too. (Is it even nominated? I'm so out of the loop! )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast