+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Departed

i cant wait too see this one day

FORT Fogey
    Anyone want to watch the original Hone Kong one? I really want someone from America to watch it and compare the two

I really enjoyed the movie. I just wish they had cut back on the number of times they used the F-word.

toothdoc

I lost track of the rats by the end of the movie.

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!
    bought the dvd and loved it. Bought it for my ma for her birthday and it was interesting how her and my aunt were confused at first by the characters played by Matt Damon and Leonardo. for the first 20 minutes they thought it was the same person and were giving me these "looks" while i was trying to explain. Mom is middle 50's and aunt is in her 60's and generally don't watch many movies that don't include Tom Hanks and/or Meg Ryan, But once that was cleared up about who was who they both loved it and sat at the table discussing it for about an hour aftwards. So happy Martin won - did i mention that i love this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by snickertink;2274279;
    bought the dvd and loved it. Bought it for my ma for her birthday and it was interesting how her and my aunt were confused at first by the characters played by Matt Damon and Leonardo. for the first 20 minutes they thought it was the same person and were giving me these "looks" while i was trying to explain. Mom is middle 50's and aunt is in her 60's and generally don't watch many movies that don't include Tom Hanks and/or Meg Ryan, But once that was cleared up about who was who they both loved it and sat at the table discussing it for about an hour aftwards. So happy Martin won - did i mention that i love this movie?

If you see this POM I'm glad you finally got to it!!

Snickertink I'm so glad he won too. Great film. I saw it 4 times. First time at the theater I had no problem understanding any of it. It was excellent. (I was with my now ex-boyfriend) he doesn't talk during movies ever and neither do I.
    Then I saw it at the theater again with a cousin of mine who is one of those people who when they know you've seen a movie they ask a question every 5 minutes. I love her but, wanted to wop her upside the head. I didn't enjoy my time at that one. I was confused! Then my daughter and I saw it together (she'd seen it once already) we both totally enjoyed it just as much as the first time we'd seen it. No confusion.

Finally, my mother and I watched it together and she did EXACTLY what your aunt and mother did!! It drove me NUTS. I was thinking how the hell can you mix up Leo and Matt? Then she was mixing up Mark Walhburg (sp) too......
    by the middle of the movie I had a headache

I love spending time with my mother *once in a while* and we've watched movies before and she was never so annoying. Her favorite movie is Pulp Fiction so it had nothing to do with the kind of movie this was. Funny because she was the ONLY person who got these guys mixed up and every one of my friends / co-workers and family saw this - this is the first time I've seen someone else getting confused. I was yelling at my mother (not in a mean way) just noooooooooooooo he's this one and he's that one!!!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it so much.

FORT Fogey
    I rented this over the weekend, and I'm more than happy to join the "loved it" band wagon. I often times dislike mobster type movies simply because I have a hard time following them. I thought that Scorsese did a masterful job of taking what could have been a VERY confusing story and telling it in a very clear, easy to follow manner. (the writing deserves some credit for that too!) Even though some viewers confused some of the actors, I thought it was easy to keep track of everyone, including recognizing faces of characters who weren't so notable when you needed to. GREAT movie ... I was just very ticked off there were no commentaries on the DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2276307;
    I rented this over the weekend, and I'm more than happy to join the "loved it" band wagon. I often times dislike mobster type movies simply because I have a hard time following them. I thought that Scorsese did a masterful job of taking what could have been a VERY confusing story and telling it in a very clear, easy to follow manner. (the writing deserves some credit for that too!) Even though some viewers confused some of the actors, I thought it was easy to keep track of everyone, including recognizing faces of characters who weren't so notable when you needed to. GREAT movie ... I was just very ticked off there were no commentaries on the DVD!
    boy I'm hogging this thread......glad you loved it. I'm not usually a big gangster lover movie person either. The writer got an Oscar - Monahan
    I thought that was well deserved. I hate Leo didn't win an oscar for his part.
    He wasn't even nominated. Blood Diamond (bleh) I hated that movie. He was good in it though.

I agree with you that it was well written and easy to follow. Sometimes the company you have at a movie can make it confusing. I have to see a movie with someone who doesn't talk. My daughter is my favorite movie "date".
    I quoted you mostly because of what you say at the end of your post. I was pissssssssed off about the DVD too!!! That really sucked. Not one single extra.

FORT Fogey
    I don't think I can agree on the lack of a Leo Oscar being a dissapointment. Putting aside that NO ONE deserved to get in the way of Forrest Whittaker and his Oscar after his performance (I think he was so brillant that it was a shame they bothered to nominate 4 other people this year), I think that Leo's acting was great (as it usually is) but not the top in this movie.

I think that Martin Sheen without question turned in the best performance of the film. I forgot that he was Martin Sheen. He didn't stick out as noticable in a distracting way. He just played the part, and played it brillantly. I'm not sure i understand why he didn't get a supporting actor nod.

I also thought that Alec Baldwin did a brillant job with his character. He's ruined quite a few movies for me, simply by being in them. But I LOVED his character, and was happy every time he appeared on screen.

I don't think that Wahlberg's nomination was undeserved. For having one of the smaller roles of the primary guys, he made the part stand out.

Leo did a great job. But so did Damon. Everybody did a great job but I don't think I'd give Leo a nod above everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2276330;
    I don't think that Wahlberg's nomination was undeserved. For having one of the smaller roles of the primary guys, he made the part stand out.

Leo did a great job. But so did Damon. Everybody did a great job but I don't think I'd give Leo a nod above everyone else.
    I actually did think Walhburgs was not deserved. I think he was very good but, the level of difficulty couldn't have been too much for him you know?

He played a cop which in real life must have been surreal for him. But, he was a tough talking big mouth Boston bully and I think he's been all that in real life......Martin Sheen I agree with you. He was amazing. Damon being a Boston boy I think must have felt it less difficult than say Leo.......I just loved the way he dropped his accent then it came back again. He really seemed to turn into a drug addict before our eyes. Very subtle stuff. At one point he has a tic in his eye. I just thought he was brilliant.
    The award shows drive me crazy anyway. I am glad Forrest won tho....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast