+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Miss Sunshine

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Little Miss Sunshine

I went to this very reluctantly last night, despite the excellent reviews the "concept" of another dysfunctional family road trip (for the pre-teen daughter to be in one of those Jon-Benet type contests, being the pickle on top) just made me roll my eyes and start to yawn. But, was I wrong! Really excellent acting by everyone--even some of the absolutely over the top parts of the trip that would have had me snoozing in a Chevy Chase film had both my sig. other and me laughing out loud--something neither of us is prone to do--because the charactors had been so well developed it actually seemed almost logical. The little girl who plays Olive is amazing, but so were the actors who were the teen brother, mom, dad, uncle and gramps (all the adults are well known charactor actors, so that's no surprise I guess, but the kids really held their own). The response of the brother, dad and uncle when they see what goes on at one of these pageants...terrific. And an extra rose to whoever played "Miss California" (maybe the real one?)--she was terrific, as were the other actors associated with the pageant--both the good and the evil. Ditto the bereavement counselor they contact along the way... lots of actors whose faces I recognized in small parts.
    So, hoping I haven't built it up too much....I do recommend it. And even though it was Saturday night it wasn't crowded...must have been some "blockbuster" opening that night.

This movie came to Sweden a couple of weeks ago, and I went to see it on Saturday with my husband. We actually had to drive to another city because it wasn't being shown in our hometown, but it was worth every kilometer we drove and then some . I laughed and I cried a little too. I'm a big fan of Toni Collete, and as always I loved her in this movie, but ITA with all who thought Steven Carell gave a great performance. Then, I have a soft spot for Greg Kinnear . Did I mention the kids were great too? Really good movie, I highly recommend it!

I'm quite late in seeing this but I saw it tonight. And thank goodness I didn't see it in the theatre because I was crying and sniffling like a fool. How silly is that? I don't know what it was, but something just struck me and hit me about the movie. It is without a doubt one of the best movies I have seen as of late. I absolutely adored it. It was funny where it needed to be and painfully self-aware when it was called for. Terrific acting, terrific staging and I am going to go out and buy it as soon as I can.

I saw this on DVD at home. In my opinion, it was very cute, the little girl was adorable and the very dysfunctional family was entertaining. However, no way should it be up for an academy award. It just wasn't that special or spectacular. It was just a simple, cute little movie period - nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by aname;2220023;
    I saw this on DVD at home. In my opinion, it was very cute, the little girl was adorable and the very dysfunctional family was entertaining. However, no way should it be up for an academy award. It just wasn't that special or spectacular. It was just a simple, cute little movie period - nothing special.
    i dont know. i think it was really well done. the acting was fantastic. and it was all the subtlety that i liked about it...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Fogey
    I liked the subtlety, and I also liked that it was a very creative story. It wasn't the kind of movie that you watched thinking "Oh, this is just like such and such movie". I think a lot of the accolades for it have been because of its originality, in addition to the acting.

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar
    It's out on DVD! *gasps*
    (Runs out of house to buy DVD)
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

Question: is the brother the guy who played Adam (Rogue) in Joan of Arcadia? I couldn't see enough of his face to tell.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12