+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shine

Shine

I finally watched this for the first time this week and while it was a beautiful movie, one thing kind of bothered me. As someone who doesn't really know the real story of David Helfgott, I was a bit confused by the way this was filmed. And I'm hoping someone can clear it up. One minute, David is performing a very difficult Rachmaninoff piece (I think it was Piano Concerto 3) when he was about 13 (or at least he looked like he was 13). Then he stood up to applause and then he collapsed. The next scene they showed was him getting electro shock treatments. But they never explained exactly what happened that brought him to that point. They just went from him performing to him in a psychiatric hospital. So why was he there? The scene seemed to be thrown in there haphazardly with no explanation at all. It was almost like "Okay, well we have this scene....oh, let's just throw it here and people will figure it out." But as I said, I don't really know the real story of David Helfgott so it was a bit confusing for me. Can someone help me out?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I don't know the factual story, nilesgirl, just what I saw in the film, but maybe I can fill in the blank until a better explanation is posted.

Young Helfgott already had some issues already in place or creeping in to establish residency, or so I assume from the bathtub scene where his father starts whipping on him for apparently doing something inappropriate in the tub. (I'd guessed bowel movement from the ferocious response, but maybe he just urinated).

He grew enough spine to leave home and go to the musical college, but it cost him his family (not counting the kind hearted commie woman that all but adopted him). That must have weighed on him, but he'd prioritized and his music was apparently more essential to him.

He still aimed for daddy's approval though, and thats why he insisted on doing that very difficult Rachmaninoff piece.

There is where your answer resides, it was that Rachmaninoff piece that ultimately drove him over the edge. As his teacher/mentor stated, it was a dangerous piece. You either master it, or it masters you.

In Helfgott's case, the master position shifted from Helfgott to Rachmaninoff's composition. He's learned it forward and backwards to the point where he mastered it, but in attaining that perfection it possessed him. Recall the scene where he doesn't appear concious, but his fingers are still working the movements?

Add to that the loss of his commie friend, and what appeared to be extreme physical exertion performing the piece to the rest, and it didn't seem too surprising that something gave. Thats my take. Great tale, great flick.

It was a bowel movement. The father kept saying how disrespectful it was for him to s*** in the tub. Why is it every biographical movie I see about musicians always shows one of the musician's parents (or sometimes both) being complete a****? "Selena" portrayed her father as being very very difficult (at least at first), The Beach Boys movie portrayed one of their fathers (I think it was Bryan) being a jerk. "This music is crap. No one will listen to it. You'll never make it."; The Def Leppard movie, same thing. Joe Elliot's dad was a complete jerk. The Osmond movie, dad was a jerk and mom was just passive. "The Carpenters" movie portrayed the mom as just being totally clueless and passive! SHE GAVE HER SON QUALUDES!!!! Way to go mom! There's a mother figure for ya. Let's get my son addicted to sleeping pills and then deny that he has a problem. And "Shine" portrayed David Helfgott's dad as being a complete jerk. And we all know what Michael Jackson's father was like. I actually feel bad for those kids growing up with a man like him. The only exception that I've seen is LaBamba. His mom was a sweetheart. It was his brother that was a drunken a**. LOL
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread