+ Reply to Thread

Thread: June Allyson Dies

June Allyson Dies

Film star June Allyson dies at 88

Attachment 17728
    June Allyson played the ideal girlfriend and wife in movies of the 1940s and '50s. She made an impact in "Two Girls and a Sailor."

LOS ANGELES -- June Allyson, the sunny, raspy-voiced "perfect wife" of James Stewart, Van Johnson and other movie heroes, died Saturday, her daughter said Monday. She was 88.

Allyson died at her home in Ojai, Calif., with her husband of nearly 30 years, David Ashrow, at her side, Pamela Allyson Powell said. She died of pulmonary respiratory failure and acute bronchitis after.

During World War II, American GIs pinned up photos of Rita Hayworth and Betty Grable, but June Allyson was the girl they wanted to come home to.

In "Two Girls and a Sailor," her winsome beauty and bright personality connected with U.S. servicemen. She starred in "Music for Millions," "The Sailor Takes a Wife," "Two Sisters from Boston" and "Good News."

With typical wonderment, Allyson expressed surprise in a 1986 interview that she had ever become a movie star:

"I have big teeth. I lisp. My eyes disappear when I smile. My voice is funny. I don't sing like Judy Garland. I don't dance like Cyd Charisse. But women identify with me. And while men desire Cyd Charisse, they'd take me home to meet Mom."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0436/1010/NEWS
    Last edited by misskitty; 08-30-2006 at 03:04 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

RIP

+ Reply to Thread