+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Movies you can write about

Movies you can write about

Hey guys, I need to find a movie to write about, preferably one that is not overdone. Can anyone recommend a film that would be good to analyze in relation to the era it was made? Any movies that have strong social commentary or reflect the culture of when it was released? Thanks.

Does the movie have to take place in the time period in which it was released, or do you mean something like: Does American Graffiti reflect the culture/feelings of the Vietnam era?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

One that springs to mind is Crash - it's a great reflection of modern day racial tension in LA.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

I'm thinking Hair (maybe because it is my all time favourite movie). But it reflects the 60s culture and was made in the 70s. But it was written in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    Does the movie have to take place in the time period in which it was released, or do you mean something like: Does American Graffiti reflect the culture/feelings of the Vietnam era?
    no it doesnt. I havent seen American Graffitti but if its abotu Vietnam it could easily be used to represent what was happening when it was released. Though I'd rather stay awayy from war films

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Silkwood? Norma Rae? Not war movies, but plenty of social commentary. Or more recently, Boys Don't Cry.

A good one is always Do The Right Think, saw that a couple times in film school. Good one on NYC, racial tension, etc. Very of an era yet still timeless.

Grand Canyon was over a decade before Crash,and deals with the same themes (as I remember) and is an amazing film to check out.

All movies are 'of an era' anyway. Matrix concerns itself with the fear that as computers become more prevalent in our lives and we depend on them more, they will take over (same with terminator) and while not everyone may agree, there is a case to be made for it, and it could be a paper or two about societies fears and the films 'vision.' You can trace a societies fears and concerns through their movies.

Singing in the rain is another fun one, as film shifts from silent to talkies, it really is chock full of stuff, playing with the shots, the sound, etc. That's a great one to analyze.

Have fun! makes me miss school, *sigh*

How about Midnight Cowboy? Can't think of any other movie that reflects it's time so well.

+ Reply to Thread