+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: The Lake House

  1. #11
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,402
    I saw this tonight...along with about 5 other people...not sure what that was about, but then the whole multi-plex seemed dead.
    Well, I never thought Keanu and Sandra had good chemistry back in their Bus days...mostly him looking as emotional as a mackerel.... so they have marginally better chemistry in this one, so far as I can tell. I was really disappointed as I loved the concept. The plot was kind of confusing at times (someone explain what was in the attic that her letter referred to at the beginning as I missed it, please) ( and also how she knew that letters were hidden under a loose board in the bedroom when she was there with her boyfriend after she'd given up on Keanu [that's not really a spoiler, believe me], as I didnt get it --did she hide them there herself?). And the logistics of how the whole thing worked were beyond me after a while...she would have been having to make 8 trips a day to the lake to carry on some of those "conversations" I would have thought... I like my SF to be logical... but I could have overlooked all that with better chemistry. Pooh. The writing seemed good (other than the plot line confusion) ... it was just the delivery.
    And I know some people liked their chem... so if you have in the past you'll probably like this, but if not...not.

  2. #12
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    PWS... the box in the attic was full of what she knew to be the previous owner's belongings. When she wrote the letter, of course, she did not know that the previous owner was Keanu's character but she was just telling him that the box was not hers.

    The letters being under the floorboard... I can't remember the details that explained that at the moment.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  3. #13
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    PWS... the box in the attic was full of what she knew to be the previous owner's belongings. When she wrote the letter, of course, she did not know that the previous owner was Keanu's character but she was just telling him that the box was not hers.

    The letters being under the floorboard... I can't remember the details that explained that at the moment.
    Thanks, Broadway! That was explained in the script, I just couldn't hear it, so not the movie's fault.

  4. #14
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    207
    I loved this movie. I've never understood why people don't like Keanu and refer to him as a "mackerel". I think of him as being quiet and deep.

    You do need to suspend reality when seeing the movie, but that's why I go to movies in the first place.

    And I loved the house!

  5. #15
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Art_930 View Post
    I loved this movie. I've never understood why people don't like Keanu and refer to him as a "mackerel". I think of him as being quiet and deep.

    You do need to suspend reality when seeing the movie, but that's why I go to movies in the first place.

    And I loved the house!
    I'm all for suspending reality... I just want the alternative reality to follow some alternative reality rules .... that makes it more fun.
    Re the house (boy, I'm negative on this film), I love Frank Lloyd Wright's stuff and thought the comparisons were an insult to his work. The house was just blah...glass...the best part by far was the tree inside it. Also of course I was thinking one good Midwest storm or tornado would take the thing down...more suspending of reality required. Wonder where it was filmed and where the house really was...and if it was just created for the film.
    As for Keanu....think it's in the eye/mind of the beholder...silent pool of love or flat affect. At least he did smile now and then this time (vs. that bus movie)--an improvement.
    Why am I so negative? I think because I really really liked the concept and was so looking forward to it. If I'd expected less then I'd probably have liked it more.

  6. #16
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by hikari87 View Post
    I saw it today too! I just saw the original Korean one yesterday too~ I thought they were both great romances^^ well, since they ARE the same movie basically but they did some changes but it was still good~ I liked them both

    I can't wait to see this. I had been hoping to see the Korean version first so I could compare them but I think I'll end up renting that one on DVD later and see it in reverse order. I'll probably go see "Lake House" this weekend... Mr. Lois doesn't want to go so it'll be a girls' night out most likely... I really like Keanu and Sandra (did anyone read her VANITY FAIR article? She sounds so sweet), so I'll probably end up buying this film on DVD later as well (unless I absolutely hate it). As for "Speed," I LOVED that movie and still enjoy seeing it when it's on TV (or when I pop the DVD in every now and again).

    Anyhow, Hikari, were there any significant differences in the two stories you saw or changes in the character development?

  7. #17
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    The letters being under the floorboard... I can't remember the details that explained that at the moment.
    It was a book under the floorboard (the book that she left at the train station). I don't remember it being explained as such. I figured that he knew what apartment she lived in (since she told him to forward her mail there), and he knew construction workers (from his job), so he went in while they were making her apartment and stuck the book under the floorboard for her to find.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  8. #18
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,402
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    It was a book under the floorboard (the book that she left at the train station). I don't remember it being explained as such. I figured that he knew what apartment she lived in (since she told him to forward her mail there), and he knew construction workers (from his job), so he went in while they were making her apartment and stuck the book under the floorboard for her to find.
    Ah, right, Persuasion. But how did she know where to look? This was when they weren't corresponding if I remember correctly.

  9. #19
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Ah, right, Persuasion. But how did she know where to look? This was when they weren't corresponding if I remember correctly.
    She was walking in the bedroom and the board moved/shifted which piqued her curiousity so she got down and pulled it up. He must have made it so that it wasn't nailed in (or whatever - not construction-inclined) as well as the others.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  10. #20
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,402
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    She was walking in the bedroom and the board moved/shifted which piqued her curiousity so she got down and pulled it up. He must have made it so that it wasn't nailed in (or whatever - not construction-inclined) as well as the others.
    Ah.. I didn't even realize she and the BF were in the Lake House at the time, thought it was her apt. Altho it still seemed to me as if she got up purposefully and went into the other room and started hopping around as if looking for a loose board. Wonder if they cut a scene and lost continuity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.