+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Break Up

FORT Fogey

The Break Up

Has anyone else seen this yet? I went last night, and I LOVED it.

I'm a big Vince Vaughn fan, so I expected to like it. But after the reviews, I thought it'd be one I enjoyed, rather than one of my favorites of his. I was wrong. It's one of my favorites. As Vince has received more fame with roles like Old School and Wedding Crashers, I've been a little sorry that more people don't know how good he was in movies like A Cool Dry Place and Return to Paradise. It's good to know they're getting to see that side of him again.

I will say it had more of an indy feel than I expected. Not in a huge way, but they did use more long drawn out dialogue scenes than most studio movies do. And I'm surprised that so many have said it is not a comedy. It is definitely a comedy - just more to the likes of Sex and the City than Wedding Crashers. It's funny, but also poignant and emotional.

I also have to say, I LOVED all the references to past movies of Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau, Peter Billingsley, and others. They were so subtle that you wouldn't notice them if you weren't familiar with the actor's past work. But for big fans, they were definitely there, and fun!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    My fiance' and I saw this last night and enjoyed it. I felt distracted by the photos they show when the movie first begins because I found myself trying to imagine them as a couple that was just beginning a relationship when they were filming this.

Once I got past that, I settled into Vince's infamous dry witted humor. I absolutely loved the "get even" tactics they used...the Telly Savalis maneuver was too cute and the video football challenge was a classic. Loved the poke at realtors. They both seem to have that "dry" delivery which is interesting for their offscreen compatibility.

I liked that the movie didn't dance around some of the silly bickering and game playing that a lot of people fall victim to in relationships. Jennifer's on screen friend said it best "what are you 12?" I didn't like the ending though...the message I got from it was that we always make ourselves and each other better for the next relationship when the last one ends.

Overall, it was worth some good laughs but not to the caliber of Wedding Crashers.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

FORT Fogey
    I got the same message - and since I agree with that, I liked it.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think that the story Gary tells on the boat about why Chicago is called the second city - burning down entirely and being re-built stronger - was definitely a metaphor for both Gary and Brooke!

I really liked this movie. My favorite movie by far with Vince in it. I didn't want to see it at first, but my mom made me see it with her and I loved it!

I always enjoy Vince Vaughn's movies, and although I never was much of a Friends fan (I know - ) I've always thought Jen is an underrated actress (check her out in The Good Girl for confirmation). I'll put this on my "to watch" list for sure.

For those of you who have already seen it: How was the chemistry between Vince and Jen? Did their budding off-screen romance show?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Fogey
    I think there chemistry was there - it wasn't overwhelimg ... if that makes any sense.

I don't think that their chemistry in this film could really be used as any indicator of their relatonship, for a couple of reasons. First and most importantly, in the movie, they're a broken up and warring couple. There are two scenes before they split - one when they first meet, and one leading into the break up. So the strong passionate attraction that was there in Mr and Mrs Smith, or SHOULD have been there in Eyes Wide Shut should not have been in this movie - real life realtionship or not.

Second, based on the gossip surrounding Vince Vaughn that I avidly read, I don't think their relationship really started until AFTER they were done filming. My speculation is that they had a lot of fun and became friends while filming, and thorugh that process, started to be attracted to each other. I think their wrap-party hook-up was the start of it -- and things didn't really become a relationship until he was done with the comedy tour.

Excellent. I've been reading the ever so negative reviews and thinking "but this sounds like just the sort of thing I enjoy" and it seems I may be right (I hate sentimental romanticism and/or whimsy). Actually, the supporting cast alone (Jon Favreau! Jason Bateman! Joey Lauren Adams! Judy Davis!) is enough to get me into the theatre to see this, but now I have a bit more ammunition in the cajoling of Mr. Rattus.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    I am developing a theory - I haven't done anything to determine if it's true - that whether or not you like this movie can be determined by how you feel about the infamous calling the answering machine scene in Swingers. If you laughed your butt off at that scene, you'll love TBU. If you thought it was just meh - you'll be neutral to TBU. If you hated that scene and can't watch it because it makes you squirm, you'll hate TBU.

I think some of the negative response to the movie is that it has the look and make up of a big budget studio movie, but it has many of the elements of an indy film - long dialogue scenes (especially in the beginnig) a real commitment to reality rather than fantasy, etc. In many ways, it truly does adhere to the Vaughn/Favreau teaming tradition -- just not as many scenes with both of them as Swingers and Made.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I got the same message - and since I agree with that, I liked it.
    Let me clarify why I didn't like the ending (because like you, I think as we turn a page on most relationships gone bad, we go into the next one a better person)....the romantic in me was hoping for an ending where they patched things up. I was so smooshy when "Gary" finally came around at the end. The game playing by "Brooke" was honestly portrayed....if I just do this, he'll want me back...or if I just punish him this way, he'll feel sorry, etc.

The message of their commitment was there during the movie, but in the end, it wasn't enough to keep them together. It was just a sad ending, but at least it was honest. Hopefully that makes better sense why I didn't like the ending. Just hopelessly romantic.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

FORT Fogey
    I thought that it was just more realistic the way it was portrayed. I think it's totally normal to break up with someone, but then want to be back with them. That doesn't mean you really want to be with them - the negatives are still there. But you want it back, because you're sad, and think that will make you happy. What really makes you happy is evolving into a better person - as they both did.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    So in that way, I think it WAS a happy ending.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast