+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Break Up

Okay... I saw this movie tonight and I have to admit that I cannot say that I loved it. Or maybe I would be better served to say that I wasn't entertained by it.

Having been in a relationship with a man like this I sat there feeling like I was watching a two hour movie about my two year relationship and I walked out feeling drained and depressed anew. It just was not enjoyable to sit and watch this relationship deteriorate to something irreperable, and painful to relive a difficult breakup of my own that I still haven't quite yet moved beyond.

That being said, the acting is fabulous, the writing was decent, and the style of the movie was wonderful. The references to other VV movies was fun. I agree with some critic who mentioned that watching Vince Vaughn on screen you get the feeling that you are watching HIM, not watching him portray a role. I can completely agree with that, but I find it to be an extreme positive and not the negative that this critic believed. This was, indeed, possibly his best performance next to A Cool Dry Place. But Veruka, I'd have to change your definition of the movie to be a poignant and emotional drama with many comedic parts to it. I think people would be better served to go in there expecting a drama and then find quite a few laughable moments.

The casting of Cole Hauser and Vincent D'Onofrio as Vince's brothers was stellar. I love both of those men!

And the ending was a blatant rip-off of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the SATC episode where Carrie meets up with Aidan on the sidewalk at the beginning of Season 6. I kept on expecting a woman to walk out of the store and join Gary.

I had heard that they had to go back and refilm the ending after the test audiences had a negative reaction. Now I'm wondering what the original ending was. Does anyone know?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw it. I liked it but didn't love it. I think partly it was too recent to the divorce in some ways. That watching someone fight and break up and be questioning themselves on what they are doing, was too much like real life.

I always love movies filmed in Chicago because to me it's such a pretty city in so many ways.

Clearly go to see it again, didn't get a single movie reference. Never have seen Swingers.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

My wife who really likes Jennifer Aniston dragged me to this movie over the weekend. I know some liked it but I thought it was weak, it really wasn't a romantic comedy, or if it was trying to be it failed short. Maybe it is just me, my wife thought it was ok but she didn't love it like she thought she would. At least I don't have to go to another one of her movies for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshade View Post
    My wife who really likes Jennifer Aniston dragged me to this movie over the weekend. I know some liked it but I thought it was weak, it really wasn't a romantic comedy, or if it was trying to be it failed short. Maybe it is just me, my wife thought it was ok but she didn't love it like she thought she would. At least I don't have to go to another one of her movies for a month.
    Blackshade, the fact that you even went with your wife is just so great
    I can't drag my husband to a movie, even when it's something he'd like

And so funny about not having to see another JA movie for a month and then followed by another "awww" moment that you're willing to go again!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    The references to other VV movies was fun. I agree with some critic who mentioned that watching Vince Vaughn on screen you get the feeling that you are watching HIM, not watching him portray a role.
    That's so true! There were actually a couple of times that I wondered if Joey Lauren Adams was cast so she could be there as a technical advisor to make sure they got the details of her and Vince's real life break up accurate.

And the ending was a blatant rip-off of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the SATC episode where Carrie meets up with Aidan on the sidewalk at the beginning of Season 6. I kept on expecting a woman to walk out of the store and join Gary.
    I thought the same thing!

I had heard that they had to go back and refilm the ending after the test audiences had a negative reaction. Now I'm wondering what the original ending was. Does anyone know?
    The original ending shot last Summer had Gary and Brooke running into each other some time later at an art fair. Each was with their new mate - Brooke's looked just like Gary (played by Vince Vaughn's double) and Gary's looked just like Brooke (found in a casting call for a Jennifer Anniston lookalike). They talked, and the camera pulled back to show a duet between Justin Long's character and The Tone Rangers singing Rainbow Connection. I've been told the audio of Rainbow Connecton made it into the closing credits, but I didn't stick around long enough to hear it.

After they scrapped that ending, they tested ending the movie at three different points among test audiences.

First
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they ended it after the scene where Gary makes dinner and Brooke tells him she just can't do it.

Second
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they ended it right after Brooke gave Gary her keys and they left the condo

The third was the ending they ended up using.

I have a theory on this movie, and who likes / dislikes it. I haven't tested it out, but wonder if it applies to anyone here. I think the way you react to this movie can be predicted by the way you react to the infamous answering machine scene in Swingers. If that scene makes you laugh every time because you recognize the realism, you'll love The Break Up. If that scene was just a meh part of a good movie, you'll be indifferent to The Break Up. If that scene made you squirm, and you try to avoid ever re-watching it, you won't like The Break Up.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    And then there are those of us who haven't seen Swingers that will have to take our chances>..

FORT Newbie
    I enjoyed seing this movie. It's somewhat realistic. How you see this movie all depends on where you are in your life. Bottom line is: when you hurt someone, you end up hurting yourself... one way or another. Live and learn!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    And then there are those of us who haven't seen Swingers that will have to take our chances>..

That's what I was thinking too. I think I may have to drag hubby to see this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

is this movie good or what?

Loved this movie. I really didn't think that I was going to like it because of the bad reviews but I thought it was great...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast