+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: X-Men 3

I thought she looked bare-handed.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    OK, I didn't notice the gloves either, and interpreted it the same way you did, then wondered what she was doing at the mutant school if she wasn't one (not that Xavier and his team would be as mean about "expelling" people as his rival, but still).
    So can we have a vote please? Or if you haven't seen it yet can you pay really close attention at the end? Gloves, or no gloves? I'm pretty sure she didn't have those long white gloves that she sometimes wears on, but she could have had more skin colored ones.
    I saw it yesterday so it's pretty fresh in my mind. Just asked my movie-going compadre and she agreed that Rogue did not have gloves on. So whatever that's worth.
    I did wonder the same about the school (why she'd be there if she was no longer a mutant) but figured the staff would probably let her stay on, seeing how she had a history with them.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I saw it yesterday so it's pretty fresh in my mind. Just asked my movie-going compadre and she agreed that Rogue did not have gloves on. So whatever that's worth.
    I did wonder the same about the school (why she'd be there if she was no longer a mutant) but figured the staff would probably let her stay on, seeing how she had a history with them.
    Go figure I thought she had gloves. Partly, also I was thinking why in the world would she come back to a school for mutants if she didn't have any powers anymore???? There is also the possibility as she grows she can control her powers and not absorb other peoples abilities and memories.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Thanks, all! Of course now her problem will be will her mutant boyfriend want a girlfriend who is not a mutant?

i saw this movie a while back and i just dont like it. i guess if i was entering as a xmen movie fan alone, then maybe...but ive been a fan ever since the original cartoon came out (not the gay ohhh lets be high school teeny boppers version, but the good one), and ever since i read some of the comics....this movie does no justice to any of the storylines...it is poorly put together and i just wasnt pleased with what i watched. lol im probably just in b**** mode, but eh...wasnt worth going to the movies for, i will say, that it is definitely better then the first two xmen movies...but in all honesty, that doesnt say much.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    i saw this movie a while back and i just dont like it. i guess if i was entering as a xmen movie fan alone, then maybe...but ive been a fan ever since the original cartoon came out (not the gay ohhh lets be high school teeny boppers version, but the good one), and ever since i read some of the comics....this movie does no justice to any of the storylines...it is poorly put together and i just wasnt pleased with what i watched. lol im probably just in b**** mode, but eh...wasnt worth going to the movies for, i will say, that it is definitely better then the first two xmen movies...but in all honesty, that doesnt say much.
    I don't know why people go to see a movie expecting; especially one based on a story that has appeared as a comic book, graphic novel, paperback book, cartoon (several series) since the 1960's, expecting it to be exactly like the particular medium that first attracted you to the story. It is what it is and enjoy it for that and just let everything else go.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie
    I don't know why people go to see a movie expecting; especially one based on a story that has appeared as a comic book, graphic novel, paperback book, cartoon (several series) since the 1960's, expecting it to be exactly like the particular medium that first attracted you to the story. It is what it is and enjoy it for that and just let everything else go.
    yeah! i agree with you! how can people enjoy that movie if he/she is expecting it to be like what he/she has read from the book, cartoon, etc... int that case, the movie will be nonsense at all!

dont get me wrong, i did say if i was entering as a movie fan, yeah, it was decent...

and i dont think thats necessarily true, xmen, and other things have a huge fanbase, i feel that we as fans have certain expectations, and that producers and what not are trying to satisfy us as fans and to make it entertaining and understandable for everyone in general...i just didnt feel that it did me justice as a fan, of course this is just my opinion alone, so eh..

You can't have it both ways, the reason studios named the movie X-Men was to get fans of the comics to come out and support the movie. You should expect those fans to be somewhat upset and miffed by the fact that storylines that has grown dear to them over many years are basically thrown to the side or so changed that it barely resembles the source piece.

It would be similar if they took Batman and instead of having him be brooding and dark have him be cheerful and joyful. Or take Peter Parker/Spiderman and have him be a jerk and playboy with no mention of Aunt May or Uncle Ben. You got to know that fans will be upset.

The Dark Phoenix storyline is one of the most popular and well-known X-Men storylines and to take and change it so much just wasn't the smartest move if you know that a significant portion of the fans of the comics will be disappointed in it. As a stand alone movie it was not bad and definitely had its moments from a visual standpoint. But as it relates to the entire X-Men universe it was a disappointment because the connection it had with it was tenuous at best. It had the characters and their powers, but it totally missed or changed the relationships between those characters and chose to pick and borrow only bits and pieces from the storylines. They should have just abandoned the storylines all together than picking through them like a vulture.

I just saw this and have to say, I knew going in it was going to be nothing like what I grew up on, fine.

But from a film-making standpoint it was absolutely horrid too, like they didn't even care.

My friends and I were staring at each other in disbeleif and laughing throughout.

The main scene, which I can't beleive hasn't been mentioned yet, is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Magneto and his gang take over the bridge and fly it to Alcatraz.

I can see the meeting now:

"Wow this is cool stuff we're writing, it has to be well lit"
    "I know, we'll make it noon! tons of natural light"
    "Yeah good idea, then we can see the panic on the soccer mom's face"

so they fly over in direct sunlight, then:

"You know, the fight scene would be cooler during the night"
    "Yeah, good idea, fights are always better at night, but wasn't it just day?"
    "Oh, no one will notice"

So flying over it's day, the minute Magneto lands it's night.

then all the fire coming down and we actually muttered, along with the rest of the theater, "If only there was some mutant that could make it rain, imagine how useful that would be"

There was no continuity, no care, no story arch, really bad harlequinn dialogue. I hate when they have a powerful female character and make her mute, what was up with her not talking? (and of course, the phoenix lover in me HATED the dual personality theory, too pat an answer, but that's beside the point).

All in all, the filmmaker didn't care. He knew it would make money and set-up the Wolverine spin-off and that was that. I wasn't expecting good, but I wasn't expecting crap either. That's celluloid to wipe your bum with is what it is. Not to watch.

(and yeah, rogue took the cure. What was up with that instantaniously working anyway?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast