+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: X-Men 3

This was by far the best of the three movies IMO. I never enjoyed the previous director's style and lack of special effects. He was not experienced like the current director and it makes a huge difference. Even Halle Berry said in an interview that Singer really held them back in the previous versions and they felt those movies were a little boring because of it.

As a true comics fan and collector of X-Men comics for 25 years, I was incredibly impressed with the merging of the famous storylines from the comics and the drama they created with the characters. This director dropped in many subtle references to other X-Men stories that only true readers would notice. The reviews are extremely mixed, due to the critics' misplaced loyalty to Singer, but I find that a terrible excuse to dismiss this movie. This is an oustanding movie on it's own merits, and the record box-office suggests that most people would agree ($120 million opening weekend & 4th best box-office premiere in history).
    Last edited by muggle; 05-29-2006 at 03:30 PM.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

The writing is lame. The dialogue are cheesy. The special effects are great. If you didn't see it yet, you should stay until the credit is over.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMamba View Post
    I was really disappointed with the writing. The characters we've come to know and love (or hate) were taken in ridiculous directions. And the "new" characters were not fully developed. Visually this movie was pretty cool but the storyline sucked in a major way.
    I took my sons to see it this past weekend and although they loved it myself I was really disappointed in it for the precise reasons you stated. To be honest I still don't know why they even called it X-Men's 3, should have just been Wolverine's Jonesing for Jean or something along those lines. Visually it was good but the storyline was weak, it was obvious the writers of the first 2 left with Singer. This was kind of like the Godfather 3 in the Godfather trilogy. Oh well at least boys got a great time out of it.

Being a fan but not having read the actual comics in years and having enjoyed the first 2 I was very excited to see the third film until I made the mistake of reading some reviews. It almost spoiled it for me especially the crtiques of the new director. I also read articles about how Halle Berry was being a bitch and wanted more control and air time and how she hated the character of Storm and the X-men. I was thinking OH, NO they have ruined it for me. I saw it on May 29th and it was good. There were so many little story arcs that I was amazed so much happened in so short a time. I am very glad I went and fortunately bumped into an old neighbour, hubby and kids coming out from a previous show and they told me don't leave until all the credits run there is a surprise. I totally forgot about that but I always stay for the credits anyway and was I surprised. It was a great. There seems to be so little that I want to see this summer besides X-Men and Pirates of the Caribbean that I was thrilled that I could enjoy myself so much.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Blackshade View Post
    To be honest I still don't know why they even called it X-Men's 3, should have just been Wolverine's Jonesing for Jean or something along those lines.
    This is unofficially the final chapter of the X-Men movies. It's somewhat public now that Wolverine was spotlighted in this movie since he is working on a spinoff movie coming out next year. Coincidentally, Wolverine is also the only character in the X-Men comic books to have enjoyed a truly successful spinoff series.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

I actually liked this one, i've yet to see the previous ones. I hope they do continue the series by introducing new characters and all and somehow keeping the storylines interesting which im not sure if it's possible. I really liked Rogue and have since i was a child, iceman and Kitty pride.
    Id like to see Jubilee and Gambit introduced.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

The action was awesome but yeah, storyline was lacking...I have heard of 2 different possible endings..Anyone come across more??
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by muggle View Post
    This is unofficially the final chapter of the X-Men movies.
    With the money this has made so far, there will be more.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    With the money this has made so far, there will be more.

The way it ended made you assume there would be more right??

They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

I just saw it yesterday, and while I do think it was rather weak in terms of character development. I did enjoy the movie. I wish we had seen more of Angel. Rogue was almost non-existent. Kitty looked WAAAY too young compared to the rest of the "teenagers". The overall plot about the cure was interesting and I LOVED the extra scene at the end after the credits!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast