+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pirates of the Carribean 2

I saw it last night... it was enjoyable, but I agree with others that by the ending, it was just a set up for #3.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I was VERY excited to see Geoffrey Rush again though.
    Davey Jones didn't quite do it for me as much as Barbosa, but he was a perfectly creepy villain nevertheless. One review I read said it carried itself too much on special effects instead of letting the star of the first movie, Johnny Depp, carry it. I totally agree with that, at least the part about there not being enough Depp. Jack Sparrow is a delicious character, and he really makes the franchise. The director would have done better if he gave us more Sparrow rather than dilute him amongst the other characters. Otherwise, it was enjoyable and worth seeing. Just don't get your hopes up too much.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Well it looks like it holds the record for the only movie to make $55 million in...1 DAY!
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Wow. I know a lady who bought 5 tickets and watched the movie 5 times opening day. A little excessive, IMO, but I guess if there are more die hard fans like that $55 million isn't surprising.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

We went to see it today, but the next 2 shows after we got there (an hour early already) - were sold out (they had it in 4 screens in the complex).

I think I'll just wait until next week.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Jack Sparrow is a delicious character, and he really makes the franchise.
    I agree. I loved the first one. His take on a pirate was genius plus he's easy on the eyes. I can't wait to see the second one, but does anything think I should wait for video? I've heard mixed reviews and that it is really long. Is it worth the price of movie tickets and food these days?

I did hear that Keith Richards is going to be in the 3rd installment, which they haven't finished yet.

Corprip, I was excited about that too.

I read the mixed reviews and thought, "Pah, they just don't appreciate a good pirate movie," but actually, yeah, it's not as good as the first one. Still fun and all, and I can't wait for the third (I'm hoping it returns to the character-based fun of the first). But yes, too much reliance on the special effects. I'd have liked to have seen more Captain Jack, a more coherent storyline, and less of those absolutely gross monsters with Davy Jones. Bleh, the baddies in the first one were much less nasty-looking.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Here's a question and comments for those who have seen it. I'll put it in spoilers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Did the Kraken monster remind you of anything? It looked so familiar to me, but I couldn't but my finger on it. Then I remembered. It is very similar to the Sarlaac in Episode VI, "Return of the Jedi". And the Sarlaac doesn't digest its prey right away, but feeds on it for a thousand years. (Jack's hat looked in pretty good shape.) Maybe the Kraken is similar. And of course the ring that he swiped from the voodoo lady's table will probably come into play.

Wow...color me shocked, but I thought this movie was a million times better than the first one. Took my brother and sis in law to see it for my brother's birthday. I was not dissapointed at all and was glad that I stayed until the end of the credits to see the clip there.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Saw it yesterday. It was enjoyable, but not as good as the first one. Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow was funny and interesting in the first movie, but getting a bit less so now. The special effects were wonderful and the Davy Jones crew's makeup was superb. But, it just didn't do it for me. I think I wanted more of a story and less of OMG special effects.

What clip at the end? Dang it. I left.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast