+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas the movie-worst casting ever

MRD

Dallas the movie-worst casting ever

OK, I was a DAllas watcher back in the day, but this has to be the worst casting ever for a movie.
    And I'm sorry, but back when SouthFork was on tv, the only hispanics on the ranch were Sue Ellen's maid and Miss Ellies cook and gardner. Sorry JLo, but that is how it was in 1980. Besides, you are too young to be SueEllen and Jessica, you are too old to be Lucy.

DALLAS Days Ahead for Simpson
    Friday April 14 11:06 AM ET

Not learning from the bomb that was The Dukes of Hazzard, Jessica Simpson may now dip her toes in another big screen adaptation of classic TV.

By FilmStew Staff Report, FilmStew.com

Die hard fans of the staple 1980's primetime soap Dallas have already been grumbling about some of the casting choices made for the film version of the series, most notably the selection of Jennifer Lopez to fill the role of Sue Ellen. Now, in what could stir up even more bitter feelings, blonde superstar Jessica Simpson has told MTV that she has met with the film's producers to take on the role of troublemaker Lucy Ewing in the project.

While Simpson has confirmed that she's met with the producers, who include Michael Costigan and David Jacobs, she has not yet been officially cast in the role. "That would be an honor for me," she told MTV. "I'm a Texas girl, so you can't go wrong there. However it all works out, I'm just kind of going with the flow...one day at a time."

Actress Charlene Tilton played the seductress Lucy Ewing on the original series. According to the New York Post, she was quoted last year as saying the 25-year-old Simpson would be too old for the part.

Bend It Like Beckham helmer Gurinder Chadha was recently brought on to replace Robert Luketic as the director on the big screen take on Dallas. Luketic himself reportedly left the project after being unhappy with some of the casting choices. In addition to J. Lo, John Travolta is in negotiations to play J.R., Luke Wilson is talking about taking on the role of Bobby and Shirley MacLaine may fill the shoes of Miss Ellie.

After bringing helping the classic Dukes of Hazzard to the big screen as the sexy Daisy Duke, we're not sure everyone would agree that "you can't go wrong there."
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

This is sort of embarrassing, but there was a year in college when Dallas was playing on TNN every day when I got home from school, and I was so hooked. SO hooked. I still haven't talked myself out of buying the whole series on DVD.

That said, no way in hell would I see this movie, particularly with those casting choices. John Travolta? Go away. Jennifer Lopez? Please. I won't even dignify the Jessica Simpson thing, although Lucy was a stupid character. Maybe that's the best casting decision yet, now that I think about it.

Seriously, these are the best actors they could find...? I guess Britney Spears was unavailable for the role of Pamela Ewing.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Seriously, J.Lo as Sue Ellen? Could this movie be more mis-cast? My family and I watched the show religiously in the 80's, and I honestly don't see how a new version could possibly outshine the original. I like Luke Wilson, though, and while John Travolta sounds like a strange choice for the role of J.R. (he's not diaboloc enough), it sure beats casting Jessica Simpson as Lucy. First of all: yes, she's too old. Second: wasn't Dukes of Hazzard enough to prove once and for all that she can't act if her live depended on it?

'Course, I'll still see this and moan about how horrible it is and how everything was better back in the day.

I wonder who will play Cliff Barnes? He was one of my favourite characters.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Is this some new level of hell that Dante forgot to include in his writings?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I won't be seeing this flop! Worse than J-Lo and Jessica is John Travolta as J.R. That just doesn't work for me!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Actress Charlene Tilton played the seductress Lucy Ewing on the original series. According to the New York Post, she was quoted last year as saying the 25-year-old Simpson would be too old for the part.
    And she is absolutely right. Geez, didn't these casting people ever watch the original? A huge part of the reason Lucy was so naughty was because she was supposed to be a precocious teenager. I mean, Jessica claims to be a late bloomer, but playing Lucy is stretching it.

Luke Wilson as Bobby sounds good, though. My mom used to like Cliff, geek but Ray was my man - they better get someone who looks that good with gray hair and a cowboy hat to play him.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ah yes, Ray and his rugged, squinty good looks. Who would be a good Ray? Anyone?

Is the casting process a deal deal, by the way? I've read reports about Angelina Jolie playing Sue Ellen, which I suppose would be an improvement from J.Lo, but she's still too young. Or isn't she? I keep envisioning Sue Ellen as a middle-aged woman, but it just might be the atrocious hair and makeup that made Linda Gray appear older than she actually was.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Well, Sue Ellen's character should probably have been in her late 30's/early 40's (didn't she have a baby son in the show at some point?) so Angelina is really too young as well. I think they need more of a Desparate Housewife-type, like a Teri Hatcher - a starved, plastic-surgery addicted, over-indulged Texas homemaker. Oooh...Sharon Stone would be good - she's kind of evil, like Sue Ellen was. And speaking of the Housewives, Eva Longoria would make a good Pam. Hmmm...the men are harder to cast than the women, it seems.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I don't even think I'm going to go near the theater. JLO as Sue Ellen?? No way! John revolting as JR? Can't hold a candle nope nope nope. Jessica Simpson as Lucy?? WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast