+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Libertine

The Libertine

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375920/

I just saw the previews for this, flooding FOX, this past week. It's an old movie, finished production in 2004, so I'm wondering what held it up? But, there's TWO reasons for me seeing this:

1) Johnny Depp---would watch him gather dust, if I had the chance and,
    2) John Malkovich---I saw this play at the Steppenwolf Theatre back in 1996, and Malkovich played the lead role, of Rochester. Now, he plays King Charles. I think it's pretty respectful of the casting director to have included him in this production.

Here's a link to a 3 page article about both John and Johnny having the lead role: http://www.preview-online.com/s2004/...ine/index.html

Genre: Drama (more)

Tagline: He didn't resist temptation. He pursued it.

Plot Outline: The story of John Wilmot (Depp), a.k.a. the Earl of Rochester, a 17th century poet who famously drank and debauched his way to an early grave, only to earn posthumous critical acclaim for his life's work.

Cast overview, first billed only:
    Johnny Depp .... Rochester
    Samantha Morton .... Elizabeth Barry
    John Malkovich .... King Charles II
    Paul Ritter .... Chiffinch
    Stanley Townsend .... Keown
    Francesca Annis .... Countess
    Rosamund Pike .... Elizabeth Malet
    Tom Hollander .... George Etherege
    Johnny Vegas .... Sackville
    Richard Coyle .... Alcock
    Hugh Sachs .... Ratcliffe
    Tom Burke .... Vaughan
    Rupert Friend .... Billy Downs
    Jack Davenport .... Harris
    Trudi Jackson .... Rose

Runtime: 114 min / USA:130 min
    Language: English
    Color: Color
    Sound Mix: Dolby Digital
    Certification: Singapore:R21 / Ireland:18 / UK:18 / Portugal:M/16 / France:U / USA:R / Finland:K-15
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

It's the baby for the Weinstein Company. The bros wanted the movie to have a lot of Oscar buzz this year with J. Depp. However, it failed to deliver and they kept changing the release date hoping for a good B.O. Apparently, Keira Knightley's boyfriend, Rupert Friend kisses Johnny Depp. Don't know how truthful that rumour is, but...

I just saw this movie Saturday. The acting is absolutely superb - Johnny Depp should get an oscar. He was wonderful playing such a vile, yucky character. I never saw him kiss Rupert Friend, although they did hug and hold each other a couple of times so it was intimated that they had a physical relationship. The lack of hygiene and dirtiness of the cities was very very realistic.

The character Depp played was a sex addict who preferred women, but a man on occasion was okay too (as long as they were attractive). He fell in love with a woman who challenged him both intellectually and emotionally. His proclivities caused his death, probably from syphylis at 33. The 2nd Earl of Rochester was a physically beautiful man with absolutely no morals and a brilliant mind. He was also an extremely cynical alcoholic who was hard to like. It was a difficult movie to watch and disturbing, but I thought about it a lot afterwards.

giz
    I'm really looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the miniseries on Charles II, (Rupert Graves being Villers, be still my foolish heart), so it'll be interesting to see something else set in that milleau. It'll do me until time travel becomes a viable alternative to holidaying in Mexico.

Johnny Depp, John Malkowich, and Samantha Morton in the same movie? I'm there.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Johnny Depp! I wanna see this! Still have to watch Pirates of the Carribean too! Yikes. I'm so behind.
    JohnnyD
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread