+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sexual harrassment or fair game?

Did he really grope her? I saw clips of the offense in question, and to me it just looked like he poked her around the chest where the underwire of a bra would be. Maybe I didn't see the whole thing.

Regardless of how we feel about it, the people who he harassed did not walk away, press charges, or complain to his superiors. So it's all fine and dandy if we're offended, but it means diddly because they obviously weren't. If someone was asking me invasive questions like that at work in front of another person, I wouldn't expect the witness to report the situation to human resources.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    So it's all fine and dandy if we're offended, but it means diddly because they obviously weren't. If someone was asking me invasive questions like that at work in front of another person, I wouldn't expect the witness to report the situation to human resources.
    You know, I don't think it's that they weren't offended (or maybe they were too stupid to be offended). I think it's that they didn't want to be viewed as unhip, uptight or, even worse, homophobic. I really wish he would've tried his shenanigans with Jamie Lee Curtis. She's been known to give reporters "what for" when they ask stupid questions on the red carpet. I would've LOVED to have seen that confrontation.

I also don't think that just because people don't complain, that it's OK. I remember at work there was some sexual harrassment (actual harrassment--not something trumped up because some guy said some woman looked nice that day...) going on and the women didn't complain. Part of it was because they needed to keep their jobs to support themselves/their kids and they knew that even if they won, it would be a long and arduous process to prove it; they might lose; and they couldn't risk being unemployed to prove a point.

Do I think this groping was the worst thing that could happen to women? Absolutely not. But it just amazes me at how much society has gone downhill over the decades. Can you imagine Army Archard (sp?) groping Grace Kelly on the red carpet back in the day? (I'm not implying Army is gay--I have no idea--I'm just using his name 'cause he's the only one I can think of who's old enough to have been around then) I'm guessing that no matter how she may have reacted, a gentleman would've stepped up to pop him in the face for being disrespectful to her.

But yes, it would've been nice if these actresses politely but firmly put Mizery in his place by telling him to "F" off.

(BTW, I've always liked his clothes but hated his talk show. He doesn't have enough personality to pull it off.)

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Or are they worried about the camera catching a negative reaction?
    Bingo. I think this is a huge element of it (going back to my being perceived as uncool comment...).

Scarlet Johansson Not Amused

Scarlet gives her take on the incident.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — She wasn't amused when fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi groped her on the red carpet at January's Golden Globe Awards, but Scarlett Johansson is willing to forgive him.
    "I think he's a guy that's starting his TV career and he's making a bit of an exciting moment for himself," Johansson said of Mizrahi. "I think he's a guy that's starting his TV career and he's making a bit of an exciting moment for himself," Johansson said of Mizrahi.
    By Dan MacMedan, USA TODAY

"It was definitely in poor taste," Johansson said in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times. "I'd been prepping for two hours with hair and makeup and getting dressed. And the first interview I do, someone who I have never met before fondles me for his own satisfaction."

Mizrahi, who was doing pre-show interviews for the E! cable channel, created a flap when he groped Johansson's breast, asked Eva Longoria about her pubic hair and peeked down Teri Hatcher's dress. (Related item: Read an interview with Isaac Mizrahi in Pop Candy)

"Mostly, I was thinking, 'Oh, my God. This is happening on live TV,'" Johansson recalled, adding she didn't buy the openly gay designer's explanation that he was trying to determine how her dress was put together.

"Like he doesn't know how a dress works," she said.

But the star of such films as Match Point and Lost in Translation said she isn't holding a grudge.

"I'm not mad at him," Johansson said. "I think he's a guy that's starting his TV career and he's making a bit of an exciting moment for himself. I can't be angry at him."

Mizrahi, who is scheduled to be on the red carpet at Sunday's Academy Awards, told The Associated Press last month he has no plans to tone down his act.

Johansson, who doesn't plan to attend the Oscar show, said she won't go out of her way to avoid him at future red carpet events.

"I can take care of myself," she said. "I'm from New York."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...-mizrahi_x.htm
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234