+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sexual harrassment or fair game?

I agree with Amy. I'm personally not interested in what kind of underwear celebrities are wearing and I really don't care if a desperate housewife shaves her nether region, but apparently E! thinks it's good TV. As for the groping and so forth, I'm pretty sure that if anyone felt violated there would have been all kinds of drama over it.

Much ado over nothing, but I guess Access Hollywood couldn't dig up any pics of Brangelina that day.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Call me what you will but, i wasn't offended or appalled. Maybe it's because he's gay and i don't take him too seriously, or because i don't think this is that deep. He didn't ask any of the questions with the intent offend or hurt anyone.
    Why don't you take someone who is gay too seriously? Do you mean that generally, or would you have taken him squeezing George Clooney's crotch more seriously? As PWS pointed out, harrassment is about power, not about sex. If he doesn't understand what's offensive, he ought to listen and learn.

Sure, everything is relative, and feeling up Scarlett Johannsen on TV without her consent is not the most offensive thing I can imagine--though it seems worse than the wardrobe malfunction, for what it portrays about the acceptability of intentional behavior by men generally or gay men in particular.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpch View Post
    Why don't you take someone who is gay too seriously? Do you mean that generally, or would you have taken him squeezing George Clooney's crotch more seriously? As PWS pointed out, harrassment is about power, not about sex. If he doesn't understand what's offensive, he ought to listen and learn.

Sure, everything is relative, and feeling up Scarlett Johannsen on TV without her consent is not the most offensive thing I can imagine--though it seems worse than the wardrobe malfunction, for what it portrays about the acceptability of intentional behavior by men generally or gay men in particular.

Here here! Asking rude questions is one thing. Actually feeling them up -- especially on television -- is a whole different kettle of fish. It actually amazes me at how many women find it acceptable for other women to be treated as less than.

I know, I know -- it's not like we're talking about slaves or sweatshop workers who are truly physically abused. We're talking about pampered celebs. I would've just loved it if one of these women had the balls to tell him to go "F" himself or to tell him that until he switched teams and found out for himself, he'd NEVER know who shaved what down there.

I'm not just railing on Mizrahi either. When Diana Ross felt up Lil Kim's breast at one of those MTV awards shows, that was uncalled for as well. I don't remember anyone "cupping" Dr. Dre and getting away with it...

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpch View Post
    Confuse my speech, not. What i said was that i'm not stressing this as much as others are. I don't take him seriously in general, not because he's gay, it has zilch to do with his sexuality. Hell, i don't think this whole situation is that serious. I don't believe it was his intention for a second to hurt anyone and/or try to make someone feel bad. I do love his trench coats though.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    It actually amazes me at how many women find it acceptable for other women to be treated as less than.
    home at last

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    It actually amazes me at how many women find it acceptable for other women to be treated as less than.
    DITTO! Like I said before, Uninvited touching of any kind is WRONG. This just further advertises the wrong message of how to treat women across the world.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    So come Oscar time, you will see a different Isaac on the red carpet, but as he told us, don't expect him to ask the stars about their violin and stamp collections.
    I won't be seeing the creep at all. I was hoping one of these women would tell him where to go. They all just giggled.

I'd rather watch Joan Rivers .....

I'll skip E. Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    She should have slapped the crap out of him and said she was rehearsing a scene.

The comments he made are one thing but the touching is a completely different matter. I'm just offended that any man, gay or straight, thinks it's okay to grope a woman. And the same goes for women groping other women or men, to be fair to men too. Unsolicited touching should never be excused. Many women don't speak up when they feel violated and they laugh it off for fear that others will think less of them (think how many rapes go unreported because the woman feels ashamed or that it was her fault or that nobody will take her seriously). I also know of many pregnant women that get highly offended when people think it's okay to touch their baby bump without asking and even though they don't say anything, they still feel violated. If he did it to a man would it be okay? No. And the same goes for him touching women. As for his snarky comments, that was over the line too but it didn't involve actual violation of another's body. Your body is the only thing that is truly your own and you have every right to be in control of who can and cannot touch it. Whether he intended to hurt anyone or not isn't the point. It's about personal space and boundaries, and someone his age shouldn't have to be reminded of good manners or of what is inappropriate.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-25-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Here here! Asking rude questions is one thing. Actually feeling them up -- especially on television -- is a whole different kettle of fish. It actually amazes me at how many women find it acceptable for other women to be treated as less than.

I know, I know -- it's not like we're talking about slaves or sweatshop workers who are truly physically abused. We're talking about pampered celebs. I would've just loved it if one of these women had the balls to tell him to go "F" himself or to tell him that until he switched teams and found out for himself, he'd NEVER know who shaved what down there.
    Equally amazing is that none of the women even felt violated enough to say anything. Are they so accustomed to being objectified that it didn't faze them? Or are they worried about the camera catching a negative reaction?

Here's a perfect example of women not taking responsibility for what happens to them. A bunch of wealthy, privileged women are insulted and physically handled by some silly old fart and not one of them could be bothered to put him in his place. If they're not going to take it seriously, then neither am I.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast