+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sexual harrassment or fair game?

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    She should have slapped the crap out of him and said she was rehearsing a scene.
    I think there would be a line up to do that.
    home at last

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    The culture is hitting new lows everyday. Asking women about their underwear on tv? I used to work as a telephonist for 1-800 numbers. People would ring us up to ask about products. We'd also get idiots claiming to have planted bombs in our building (they assumed we were in London, but we weren't; I'd always say, oh yes, and what city have you planted this bomb in? "London?" "BEEEEP" I'd answer. "Birmingham?" "wrong! next!"), and also men wanting to know what colour underwear we were wearing. That was considered harrassment and we were supposed to hang up on them. Just because these women are being paid a gazillion dollars does not give this man the right to invade their privacy. It's just tasteless. (and for the record, I permanently got rid of one of our regular underwear fetishists. One night in stead of hanging up our conversation went as follows:
    "Hello, Acme copiers!"
    heavy breathing on his part
    "what colour knickers are you wearing? They're red aren't they?"
    "now, has anyone ever answered this question?"
    "er, no"
    "and they are never going to, are they"
    sadly,
    "probably not". Click. end of pervert.)
    I used to work in a place like that. We never got bomb threats that I knew of, but we got our fair share of pervs. One of my favorites was a regular. He would call every night. He would ask "are you a blonde?" He would only ask this of the women, not the men. It got so bad that the trainers would specifically talk about him when talking about who we could hang up on. I even have the honor of saying that he was my first live call.

As for the original topic, I think he was wrong. The underwear questions were tasteless and the shaving question was just uncalled for. As for the groping...I would have smacked him.

I hate to say it, but I suspect he's being given so much slack because he's openly gay, as if he is therefore no threat to the women he's harrassing. We wouldn't be having this discussion, and E! wouldn't be so supportive, if it were Ryan Seacrest groping women and asking about their shaving habits.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Maybe he was seeing if any of them had on his underwear. He has a great line of lingerie at Target.

In all seriousness, I do think that him being openly gay is the only reason that he wasn't drug off to jail with cameras rolling. Just because he's not attracted to the women doesn't mean that he has free access to their bodies or that he can ask them any crude question that crosses his mind.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post

In all seriousness, I do think that him being openly gay is the only reason that he wasn't drug off to jail with cameras rolling. Just because he's not attracted to the women doesn't mean that he has free access to their bodies or that he can ask them any crude question that crosses his mind.
    I think you are right about why he gets away with it. But harassment is about power abuse, not about how erotic he finds it. In this case he has the power--it is essentially part of an actress' job to be interviewed on the red carpet, win more fans with her "nice" personality, etc., and he knows it. He's abusing his power in a situation where their job makes it very difficult for them to leave, he's creating a "hostile environment", he's sexually harassing them.
    But since most people think the harasser has to get a sexual kick out of the harassment he gets away with it.
    What he did to Scarlett is probably some kind of low level criminal sexual assault. Reminds me of that idiot who kissed Haile Berry, who clearly found it distasteful (there was a great reaction shot of her wiping her mouth and looking like she wanted to spit). If you did either of these things on a regular street they'd call the cops on you.

I didn't see or hear the said questions and actions, however, I do have a comment. But of course!

It's ridiculous that saying he is gay excuses Isaac's actions. I don't care if the media person is gay, bi, straight or tri-colored! Everyone is entitled to their "personal space". Even on the red carpet. Uninvited touching of any kind is WRONG. Even on television! Live! This just further advertises the wrong message of how to treat women across the world.

As for the underwear and shaving questions, pleeeaaase. Think of something more interesting that the celebrities can or will answer. If I were them I would have turned the question around to HIM and put him on the spot. And if he chose to answer, then good on him. But I wouldn't want to feel pressured on that nice of a night where there are so many other things that could be asked. If the celebrities just leave him in the lurch he will be the one looking stupid. Maybe if they laughed in his face and then just walked away shaking their head, he'd smarten up. Then E! won't get any good interviews and Isaac will get his just reward. Mizrahi just showed he is a moron because he couldn't come up with anything else to discuss.

His target clothes are fine and so are his schi schi poo poo fancies. He should just use some tact when he is out in public.
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-24-2006 at 02:29 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I agree that his gender preference is irrelevant. I am appalled that they will let him back on the air. This guy makes Joan Rivers look good by comparison.
    home at last

I'm surprised that NONE of the women asked, simply replied, "That's personal and none of your business."

No slapping. No drama. Just a Ladylike response. If all the women asked responded in kind, E! wouldn't have him back, because of the Boredom Factor.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    The culture is hitting new lows everyday. Asking women about their underwear on tv? ... One night in stead of hanging up our conversation went as follows:
    "Hello, Acme copiers!"
    heavy breathing on his part
    "what colour knickers are you wearing? They're red aren't they?"
    "now, has anyone ever answered this question?"
    "er, no"
    "and they are never going to, are they"
    sadly,
    "probably not". Click. end of pervert.)

Giz, that's EXCELLENT! I used to get a crank caller all the time (this was the days before Caller ID). I used to just hang up on him but when it got to be incessant, I put the phone right next to my stereo speaker the second that he called, cranked it up to 11 and heard him SCREAMING in pain.

He never called again.

I'm not sure, but it seems like ever since that college student asked Bill Clinton if he wore boxers or briefs on one of those MTV specials, people just don't concern themselves with boundaries in the pop culture world. I know he wanted to sound hip and with it, but I really wish he would've not answered that question. Can you imagine someone asking that to John F. Kennedy...or Richard Nixon?!

The fact that the women answered the questions he asked was almost more shocking to me. Can you imagine if he grabbed George Clooney's nuts and shook them? Or if a lesbian female commentator did that to Clooney? I don't think Clooney (or any male celeb) would've stood for it on the red carpet (maybe later in the bedroom!). I remember reading a story about Anthony Hopkins and he was at a film premiere and all these reporters were asking him questions. One asked him a stupid question and he refused to answer it. More power to him!

These are some of the highest paid actresses in the world and they didn't exert any of their power. I didn't see Sandra Oh's comments to him...I would like to think she put him in his place but I'm guessing she didn't either. Anyone?

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Call me what you will but, i wasn't offended or appalled. Maybe it's because he's gay and i don't take him too seriously, or because i don't think this is that deep. He didn't ask any of the questions with the intent offend or hurt anyone.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast