+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gods and Generals 02/21

Gods and Generals 02/21

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis: An epic portrayal charting the early years of the Civil War in early 1861; the tale continues through 1863, climaxing with the famous Battle of Chancellorsville. Along the way it illuminates heroes from both sides of the war, such as Colonel Joshua Chamberlain, a professor at Maine's Bowdoin College who gave up a promising academic career to enlist in the Union army, then went on to become one of the North's finest military leaders; Confederate Generals Robert E. Lee, a distinguished 25-year veteran of the United States Army and native Virginian, forced to choose between allegiance to his country and loyalty to his home state; and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, a devoutly religious man whose faith and courage and audacity made him an outstanding soldier and Lee's most trusted lieutenant. The tremendous suffering and bravery of the Civil War was not confined to the battlefields. Also explored are the stories of the wives and families who were forced to assume responsibility at home, often in cities under direct attack from the opposition. Joshua Chamberlain's wife Fanny, Thomas Jackson's wife Anna and Jane Beale, whose family was caught in the Battle of Fredericksburg, reflect the spirit, courage and anxiety of those who were left behind.

Genre(s):
    Adaptation
    Biopic
    Drama
    Historical
    Period
    War
    Rating: MPAA PG-13

Cast & Role

Robert Duvall -- General Robert E Lee
    Jeff Daniels -- Lt Col Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
    Mira Sorvino -- Fanny Chamberlain
    Kali Rocha -- Anna Jackson
    Stephen Lang -- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
    Mia Dillon -- Jane Beale
    Bruce Boxleitner -- James Longstreet
    C Thomas Howell -- Tom Chamberlain

This one looks really good, from the trailers. I think Duvall will make an excellent Robert E Lee.

I really like Robert Duvall and have had a thing for C Thomas Howell since he was in E.T.

I don't usually like this type of movie though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I love to watch movies with great historic battles in them. From the previews, this one looks like it's going to be a a great one.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I loved Gettysburg, and this is the sequel.

Originally, Gettysburg was going to be made for TV, which is why some of the beards and such didn't look so great on the big screen. I think Duval will be a much better Lee than Martin Sheen was.

I've always been fascinated by the Civil War - I think it is a very interesting period in American history. Glroy is one of my favorite movies ever.

It is going to be tough to see this movie though - normally we don't like to ask our sitters to stay so long, and the thing is just short of 4 hours.

C. Thomas Howell was in E.T.?!?

I thought this was the sequel to Shaara's The Killer Angels, Wayner. But I didn't think they made a movie out of it. Perhaps they renamed it "Gettysburg" for TV?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I have "Gettysburg" on VHS. I saw it in the theater when it first came out - the film was always called "Gettysburg", but was based on the book you mentioned.

BTW, I saw G and G today. It was horrendously bad. It dragged, and dragged... and dragged. How on Earth they even managed to make the battles boring is beyond me, but they did.

If Bill wrote a recap of it, he'd entitle it "Four Hours I'll Never Get Back" -

Wow, C.Thomas Howell WAS in E.T! I never realized that before. He was one of the older brother's friends who help distract the "government agents" on their bikes. Huh.

Has anyone actually seen Gods and Generals yet? It does look good, but to sit for 4 hours I want some recommendations first!

Uh, MollyRose, if you look at the post directly above your's, you'll see that I saw it on Sunday.

It was so boring that there was a guy in the theater that fell asleep and periodically snored louder than the cannons - and the audience didn't wake him - he was more entertaining than the film! It wasn't that the acting was terrible, but the writing was horrific, the pacing of the film was, well, there wasn't any pacing. How do you make the Battle of Bull Run boring? How do you make the Battle of Fredricksberg dull? If you want the answers to these questions contact the writer and director of this film.

Walking out I heard one theater patron say "I knew they were goig to cover a big piece of the Civil War, I just didn't realize they were going to cover it in real time."

I heard this was a big snorefest - Wayner's report confirms it.

+ Reply to Thread