+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something New

Something New

In Something New Sanaa Lathan plays Kenya, a workaholic overachiever who may have achieved her way past happiness and a chance for a normal life. That all changes when she starts to see Brian (Simon Baker), a landscaper. Though a bit below her on the ladder of success it's their differences in race that really set tongues wagging; Kenya is black and Brian is white. Can these two overcome the difficulties to try something new?
    http://www.imdb.com/

I picked this image because he is just too delicious!

I went to see this today and LOVED it. Much more complex and smart than the usual romantic comedy. Great acting and writing and, of course, Simon Baker....and Blair Underwood. Has anyone else seen it yet?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually as my mom LOVES Simon Baker (it's so cute, I guess she used to watch some series with him a while back). While the only thing I remember seeing him in is Land of the Dead, I will admit he is certainly easy on the eyes.

I'm not big on romantic comedies, but on your recommendation, I would give it a try--and of course, bring mum!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure I will eventually as my mom LOVES Simon Baker (it's so cute, I guess she used to watch some series with him a while back). While the only thing I remember seeing him in is Land of the Dead, I will admit he is certainly easy on the eyes.

I'm not big on romantic comedies, but on your recommendation, I would give it a try--and of course, bring mum!
    Snowy, it's really not a typical romantic comedy. The basic plot is probably similar, but the issues aren't. It was much less saccharine than a lot of romantic comedies. Plus, I'll see anything with Alfre Woodard - she can do no wrong in my book. Simon Baker is particularly yummy in this one, even without the accent.

Your mom has very good taste!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member
    Simon Baker was a soapy star here even married his soapy co-star
    I always thought he was beautiful looking but a bit vacant
    He then moved to the states and co-starred in LA confidential and then starred in The Guardian
    Caught him on Ellen yesterday and he had these really silly Australian sayings for her that, really, no one here uses at all. He could have found some real ones but no, he goes back a few decades and finds ones that are just dumb. I was embarrassed and my estimation of him went down.
    I will still go see the movie as I am a sucker for a romantic comedy and he is really good to look at.

I enjoyed this movie. I wasn't sure if I would since I'm really not the romantic movie type but it was good. Can't say I really knew Simon Baker but he was yummy in the film...especially certain parts
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Snowy, it's really not a typical romantic comedy. The basic plot is probably similar, but the issues aren't. It was much less saccharine than a lot of romantic comedies. Plus, I'll see anything with Alfre Woodard - she can do no wrong in my book.
    I soooooo agree with you about Alfre Woodard! I just saw her in BEAUTY PARLOR and her character was "a trip!" Good Lord...what "ba-zooms!"

I saw this movie yesterday and was SO glad that it turned out to be as wonderful as I hoped!!!! You're so right, Critical, it is NOT a "typical" romantic comedy and I really LOVED how they showed a segment of Black Society that is rarely...if EVER...seen or experienced by White Folks...the Upwardly Mobile Professional Black population. Yeah, we see Oprah and Tiger 'doin' their thang' but what about the 1000's of Black Lawyers, Doctors, CEOs and other professionals that don't have anything to do with the music industry?

I've been blessed in life to have five incredible friends who happen to have darker skin than I do. Two are lawyers (one for GM Motors), another is the art director for new aquisitions for the Art Institute of Chicago, and the last two are Principles for Private Schools. I met them all through Claire, my best friend, and they've also become friends that regularly come to dinner and we go out together. Their life is invisible to most of Caucasian society and this movie was so authentic in showing that side of Black culture. Job well done to the creators of this film!

Hopefully, films like this and others coming down the road will bust myths that all Blacks are thugs and drug dealers. They are NO different than anyone else.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I love films that show interracial couples, since my family is full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky View Post
    I love films that show interracial couples, since my family is full of them.
    Then you'll really like this one, rt1ky. It's done very well and without being didactical. It addresses REAL issues, ones of preference, and from the heart, rather than those old chestnuts of "Guess Who's Comin' for Chittlins?".

It showed the rapidly growing Black Professional world and the female leads role, Kenya, from both sides: the "we love you for who you are" to "can you bring someone "white" into the room" to explain things to me. I can't say more about her role or it would be spoilerish.

My friend, Claire is African-American, though light skinned. Her husband is VERY dark, so their three daughters include every skin color imaginable. Claire's three sisters all married white men, so some of the kids have blue eyes and blond hair, even when their mom's are dark. The giant family pictures that are taken at reunions are wonderful to see: it's like a human rainbow.

Encouraging, to say the least.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    The giant family pictures that are taken at reunions are wonderful to see: it's like a human rainbow.
    This sounds like my family. We almost have every continent covered, except Australia. , Within my immediate family, we all have different hair and skin colors and textures.
    I may have to go see this movie. If only to support more films like it.

+ Reply to Thread