+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transamerica

FORT Fanatic

Transamerica

I thought there was a thread for this, but I don't see one. I totally loved this movie, and thought it was EXCELLENT, probably one of the most movies I have ever seen. I liked it a lot more than "brokeback mountain". I do a question, and I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it. So, if you have seen it and don't mind answering a question for me, could you please send me a pm. thanks!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Odd-- I thought there was one also. Well, there should be one for any movie that's getting Oscar nods. They seem to be following the Brokeback slow roll out approach....not closer than 50 miles to me yet!

From imbd:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407265/

Directed by
    Duncan Tucker

Writing credits
    Duncan Tucker

Genre: Adventure / Comedy / Drama

Plot Outline: A pre-operative male-to-female transsexual takes an unexpected journey when she learns that she fathered a son, now a teenage runaway hustling on the streets of New York.

Cast overview, first billed only:
    Felicity Huffman .... Bree
    Kevin Zegers .... Toby
    Fionnula Flanagan .... Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Peña .... Margaret
    Graham Greene .... Calvin
    Burt Young .... Murray
    Carrie Preston .... Sydney
    Venida Evans .... Arletty
    Jon Budinoff .... Alex
    Raynor Scheine .... Bobby Jensen
    Grant Monohon .... Hitchhiker
    Bianca Leigh .... Mary Ellen
    Danny Burstein .... Dr. Spikowsky
    Andrea James .... Voice Coach
    Maurice Orozco .... Fernando

MPAA: Rated R for sexual content, nudity, language and drug use.
    Runtime: 103 min
    Language: English
    Color: Color
    Sound Mix: Dolby Digital
    Certification: USA:R / Ireland:16 / Finland:K-15 / UK:15 / Australia:MA

Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars. Another 8 wins & 10 nominations

I had only heard about this film but knew nothing about it. I'll have to wait until I get back into the city to enjoy the conversations about it.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fanatic
    I checked how many box office it was in when it first opened and it was 6. Its now up to 101. It may be more by this weekend. I think with the success of "brokeback" they are starting to open it in more markets. I checked and it has only done a little over 1.5 million dollars. But I think it will do very well in the next several weeks.

I won't give anything away, but this movie is done with almost perfection in my mind. One of the keys to this movie is it is done with some comic relief. I live in Cleveland, which is a middle size market and it opened I think last week. I went on a thursday, during the middle of the day and I counted how many people were there, since I was the first one in. Around 18. Its only playing in 2 theatres in the area, but I may go see it again this weekend to make sure, I laughed when I was suppose too

Felicity Huffman was nothing short of brilliant in this movie.

Before Oprah tells you how great it was. Jman79 told you first.
    Last edited by jman79; 02-03-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    If you want to learn more about the movie and the work Felicity Huffman did to be able to change her way of walking and talking and all the physicality of playing a MTF, I'd suggest listening to the FreshAir interview with Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy. I've heard it twice, in fact--back in May when it first aired and then again in late fall/winter when the movie started rolling out in more theaters. It's quite good, especially about more technical aspects of acting.

Here's a link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4653450

PhoneGrrrl: Since I despise being "spoiled", does the interview let the out of the bag, regarding plot, or can I listen to it and still enjoy the film's surprises?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    PhoneGrrrl: Since I despise being "spoiled", does the interview let the out of the bag, regarding plot, or can I listen to it and still enjoy the film's surprises?
    The interview was mostly about Felicity Huffman's transformation she had to undertake to make the character believable. It does talk about the plot, but I wouldn't say that it has spoilers per se (not the ultimate outcome) but there are general references to what the journey is with the Bree character and her son.

FORT Anomaly
    I really hope Felicity wins the Oscar for her role in this... I believe Reese is favored at this point (for WTL), and while I think Reese did an okay job, I think Felicity performed infinitely better and completely transformed and just brought that character to life. It'll be a letdown if Reese wins, IMO.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I just saw this... and while I loved Reese as June Carter Cash, Felicity as Bree was even better. By the way, if you haven't seen it, this is a real "feel good" movie in that everyone ends up in a better place at the end. I also really liked the actor who played her son in this--thought he did a fantastic job. In fact everyone was good--forgotten his name, but the actor who played the native American who gives them a ride at one point (he was on that TV show about werewolves a few years ago.. with Lou Diamond P. ) was great, Felicity's mom was maybe a little over the top, but that's the way the part was written.
    Anyway, I totally recommend it... FYI if this bothers you there are flashes of male and female nudity...complete...but any sex (and there isn't much) is implied not really shown.
    OK, off to the Oscars to see who wins!

Fort Member
    I saw this on the weekend and I thought it was fantastic. I, too, liked it better than Brokeback, probably found the characters more entertaining and I really cared about them all. I hope she wins, walk the line is the only oscar nominated movie i have not seen yet so i cannot compare Felicity to Reese, but I think she did such an awesome job in such a difficult role for a woman to play

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast