+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2457250;
    Just got my ticket to watch it at 3:15am on July 10th
    Well OK...my local theater now has a showing for the 10th at 12:01 a.m. so yep, me and my son are going.....already bought the tickets on Fandango!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fanatic

I just saw some photos from the London Premiere and the LA one and wow what a difference. At both the British actors looked so great, age appropriate dresses and not trashy they looked beautiful! Even the celebs not in the film look so nice and what a great sight to see.
    At the LA showing again the British cast looks appropriate with great dresses and suits but then young American celebs look so awful! It is a much anticipated premiere and the cast are dressed in premiere attire and there you have young celebs in boho dresses with thong sandals, jeans with t-shirts, over the shoulder bags not clutches what a sad showing for the US.

Even the young HP cast member who wore jeans and a T obviously wore a jacket. US celebs need to borrow a page from their books!

Got my tickets last night!! I wanted to go to the first showing, but I have to work so I have to settle for the 9:50 pm showing....I'm dragging some friends with me (2 of the 4 are coming willingly) and hopefully the late time will mean the theatre will be full of "mature" Potter-maniacs rather than the kiddie variety. Can't wait!!
    Don't let the small things sweat

I got to see it last night at a charity preview and it is FANTASTIC. I have no clue how to spoiler, so will just say that the end scenes are amazing and VERY well done. I'm not a big HBC fan, but she was perfect as Bellatrix and the actress who plays Luna is adorable and just how I thought she should be. I was curious how they would fit that book into a movie and they actually did a great job. Some things were fit in a little differently than they were in the book, but they fit quite a bit in. The new Dumbledore never really connected with me, but he did in this one.

two thumbs WAY up!**

**Please note, this review may be heavily influenced by my intense need for anything Harry before the last book comes out, but I really did like it. Hubby isn't really a fan, just the movies, and he said this was the best movie.
    Wag more, bark less

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Our theatre has 6 showings starting at 12, and the other theatres in the area have an additional 7 showings. I'm off to see Transformers at 7. I may take a quick nap and go see the 1am show of HP6.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Thanks for the early review, Jamie5632! I'm a huge fan of Helen Bonham Carter, so I can't wait to see her as Bellatrix! I read an interview with her and she said she agreed to the role, even though I guess it's a pretty small part in this movie because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    JK Rowling told her the character plays a much bigger part in the last book

BTW - you can spoiler anything by typing [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler] around the text - without the spaces in front of the "s"

I'll have to wait to see the movie until next week. I'm going with a friend and her daughters. We wanted to wait for a weekday evening so there would be fewer little ones in the theater.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

I'm seeing it tonight at 12:01! I can't wait!

Critical, she is in this one for maybe two minutes, but she blew me away. Even her still face on the tapestry was spot on. I think maybe I've just never seen her in something so perfectly suited for her. There is a bit where she is in a Prophet photo and snarling and WOW, that little bit was amazing, you'll love her!

Thanks for the spoiler info, I really wanted to say something about the movie, but didn't want to blow it for anyone who hadn't read the book.

Click to see Spoiler:
    The part where Sirius dies is really really good. I wasn't sure how I would like it since I hated it so much in the book, but it was beautifully done, as in take your breath away even though you know its coming and bam, tears in the eyes. I don't know if the same director will do HBP but I would LOVE to see what he would do with that death scene (assuming it wasn't just a bad dream I had and I actually have to see it)
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 07-11-2007 at 12:52 AM.
    Wag more, bark less

The 3D Imax version was brilliant. I missed the Quidditch, but found it much better than the Goblet of Fire movie.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Spur of the moment last night we decided to try and make the midnight show. I say "spur of the moment", but it was about 7:30pm when we went and bought tickets. The complex was showing it on 10 screens, and we made the 8th theater... it was crazy. I have seen every HP movie on opening weekend, but never the first showing - It was so much fun!

As for the movie itself...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    For the obvious reasons of time restrictions and audience attention, they cut soooo much from the book. It was rather disappointing, if I'm being honest. The movie was... good. I wouldn't call it great, but I am happy I went to see it. I think the actors cast for Bellatrix, Luna, and Professor Umbridge were fantastic. I think the movie followed the story in it's angsty, innosence-is-lost sort of way. My boyfriend thought it was too "dark", but I thought that stayed true to the feel of the book, and I appreciated that. It just seemed to me that so much detail and depth was lost in the mix, and at the end I felt let down and somewhat dissatisfied.

Maybe I'll feel differently after I've had some more time to digest it. Also, we're seeing it again this weekend with my daughters, so maybe I'll appreciate it more on second viewing.

+ Reply to Thread