+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

Re: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2473431;
    dberk, out of curiousity, have you read the book first?
    No. I've read 2 of her books and hate her convoluted writing style. I can't bring myself to read another.

Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down The Plains

omg i was in the theater on the opening day and the most hilarious thing
    happened! ok it showed neville's parents and it was all quiet in the theater.
    then out of no where some old geezer shouts at the top of his lungs
    " neville had some ugly parents". me and my mom were rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it was so funny! im still laughing to this day

FORT Fanatic

Ok I think it was shot well, it was beautiful and the sets and effects were gorgeous but they left out so much I really wanted to see.

Stuff I wish were in the movie

Click to see Spoiler:
    petunia's howler, Ron and Hermione as prefects, Percy's reason for working for Fudge, The hospital, Mundungus, cleaning the house, the weasley swamp, the nifflers, the bell jar, the brains, the explaination of the prophecy, the coins and the jinxed parchment, marietta being the snitch with the boils on her face and pigwigeon oh and maybe more Tonks explaining who and what she is, possibly more mcgonagal
    Last edited by Bandy; 07-14-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Honestly, I thought the movie was terrible~ like Cliff Notes on LSD! The plot was so jumbled and piece-mealed, and I thought the acting was a bit stilted this time. (This is coming from a MAJOR Potter books and movies fan!)

I suppose I should not have re-read the book this week right before seeing the movie. It probably would have been better if I had seen the movie first and then read the book for the second time. Then, I may not have noticed so many inconsistencies and rewrites! I had really gotten excited about this movie and the new book, and I really hope the last book is not as disappointing as this movie!

As long as it took for the movie to be released, I truly expected much better.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

not being a HUGE fan of harry potter (i've only seen the movies, can't seem to get into the books ... i get bored by them), i have to say that this movie kept me entertained more consistently than any of the others so far. i'm sure it probably had to do with the fact that it was IMAX and 3D, neither of which I'd ever experienced before. but yeah, i loved it!

granted, since i haven't read the book, i wasn't distracted by the multiple parts that were omitted. but the story was still good, the acting was phenomenal (especially the mean old woman and loopy luna).

but wow, the 3D was freaking awesome. it was only about 20 minutes' worth towards the end of the movie, but still ... i loved it.

CCL

Are we still putting stuff in spoiler brackets even though the film has been out for days now?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The only real quibble I had with the film was the short shrift given to the Harry-Cho relationship. I would have liked to have seen their ill-starred date at the Hogsmeade cafe.

But, all in all, I thought it was well done. Helena Bonham Carter was fantastic - she looked beautifully bonkers.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Saw it last night at 10:40 pm only 7 of us there in a huge stadium seated theatre. I enjoyed the movie. Liked Luna. The blinders on the ministry eyes. The biased reporting in the Daily Prophet. Sorta reminded me of our government. Fudge of course being Mr. Bush.

Still there had been such a build up about this movie and about Harry's pals at school putting together a fighting group; the Order of the Phoenix, that I was disappointed with the final fight scene. It was very anticlimactic. I wanted to kick Harry half a dozen times in the movie. Get your head out of your ass. You have so much to be appreciative about. You are at a school were you get to learn wizardry. You have loyal friends, and a second family in the Weasleys and a father figure in Sirius. Harry has this great circle of friends who love and admire him and he was constantly pushing them away, how dumb can you be. Maybe it is teenage angst but the constant self doubt and belittlement was very wearing.

Totally liked that they showed that Harry's father was a bully and how he abused poor Snipe.

Still overall it felt like something was missing, the movie was a bit empty, filler even while we wait for episode 6.

Oh, as far as the Lady in Pink, my feeling is that the centaurs did kill her. It was justified as she almost killed one of them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

Mr. Cheddar & I saw the movie on Saturday. We love the books. I know this one was her longest, so I expected a lot to be cut out. But yikes. I agree with the poster who stated it was like watching cliff notes.

My favorite parts: Luna (well cast, I thought), HBC (frickin' scary ... the look on her face in Azkaban was truly wicked), the Patronus productions in the room of requirement were awesome, the montages during Harry's flashbacks were well done, and the shots of dark & white light at the end fight scene were neat effects.

The downsides: Why, oh why, wasn't the film longer? What prevented them from tacking on an extra half an hour or so? I wish Dumbledore's explanations to Harry after the battle had been longer. I wish Kreacher had a more prominent role, as he had in the book. I wish the relationship between the Malfoys and Sirius had been shown. I wish there had been more development of the tactics employed by Dumbledore's Army to keep their meetings and meeting place a secret. I REALLY think there should have been a greater focus on Umbridge's inquisitorial squad. I (like others) wish there had been more time for Prof. McGonagall to express her disdain for Umbridge. I wish Harry had talked to Nick about the choice of becoming a ghost after death or staying behind the veil. I wish we'd seen Umbridge running away from Hogwarts at the end of the school year. I wish we'd seen the "reception committee" at the train station interacting with the Dursleys at the end ... just to give a sense that these people had a real role in the story. They were almost non-existent in the film.

Biggest Gripe: Draco Malfoy plays a HUGE role in book 6. Unless they fail to indicate his importance in movie 6 (which would dramatically alter the plot, I think), I feel it was a huge mistake to sideline him this much in movie 5. His interactions with Harry throughout the book, alignment with the ministry's attempt to ignore the warnings of Voldemort's return (by siding with Umbridge against Harry), and threats at the end (in front of Snape & McGonagall) should all have been a part of movie 5. Otherwise he'll be coming out of nowhere next film. Seems odd. When this movie comes out on DVD I wonder if some Draco scenes will show up in the deleted scenes section. I'll be waiting...

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2476706;

Oh, as far as the Lady in Pink, my feeling is that the centaurs did kill her. It was justified as she almost killed one of them.

In book 5, Dumbledore goes into the forest to rescue Umbridge. He comes out unscathed. She is taken to the hospital wing and recuperates. She flees from Hogwarts at the end of the school year, taunted by Peeves and several students. They failed to show this in the film, like many other parts of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2476790;
    In book 5, Dumbledore goes into the forest to rescue Umbridge. He comes out unscathed. She is taken to the hospital wing and recuperates. She flees from Hogwarts at the end of the school year, taunted by Peeves and several students. They failed to show this in the film, like many other parts of the book.
    They did not show that at all in the movie, but they did show her in the Daily Prophet after her attack by the centaurs and she looked dishelved and shaken.

+ Reply to Thread