+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

Re: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix

Wow, so much to comment on. I think I need to see it again (I went to the midnight showing and plan on seeing it on IMAX) and let it sink in a little before I fully comment, but one thing really stood out for me. (Caution - I make a reference to Book 7 in my spoiler about the movie. Nothing I know for sure - pure speculation on my part, but I'm erring on the side of caution.)

Click to see Spoiler:
    I think we can now be sure that Sirius is not coming back. There was the possibility that, due to the way he "died" (in the book), it might be possible that he didn't really die. In the book, Bellatrix first tried to hit Sirius with a "jet of red light". "Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: He was laughing at her." Then (from the book) - "The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest. The laughter had not quite died from his face, but his eyes widened in shock." It could be argued that the second spell was Avada Kedavra as it doesn't say what color the jet of light was. However, one could also argue that it wasn't the Avada Kedavra curse. 1) If it were, why didn't Bellatrix just use the Avada Kedavra curse in the first place? (As opposed to the "jet of red light". 2) I could be wrong, but I don't believe we've ever seen someone take an "age to fall" (as Sirius did in the book), nor has anyone's body "curved in a graceful arc" (as Sirius's did in the book) after being hit with the Avada Kedavra curse. Lupin was certain that Sirius had died, but it was never really made clear to the readers. I could be wrong, but it seems that, regarding what goes on behind the veil, it's still a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, now that we've seen Sirius get hit with the Avada Kedavra curse in the movie, I don't know how they could now bring him back. Jo has made it very clear that, even in the wizarding world, once a person is dead, they can't be brought back. I'm a little bit surprised that she didn't have them change this for the movie. Maybe she figured that all of the speculation will soon be over anyway, so it didn't really matter. Unless I'm missing something, it just seems to seal Sirius's fate. Not that I really thought he was coming back anyway, but I at least thought it was a possibility.

FORT Newbie

I haven't seen the movies yet but i'm planning to. I'm really looking forward with the relationship between Harry and Cho. I've heard that Harry is angry with Cho. Well i have to see this one.

Is this the last Harry Potter?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2472692;
    No, this is based on the fifth of seven books. The final two are "HP and the Half Blood Prince" and "HP and the Deathly Hallows".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonator;2472692;
    It can be a bit confusing cause this is the 5th movie but the 7th and final book was also released in book stores at about the same time the movie was released. Book 7 came out on July 7 and the movie had early previews on July 10.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Um, where did book 7 get released on the 7th? And can you get a copy to ship me?

Release date for HP and the Deathly Hallows is 7/21.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2472862;
    It can be a bit confusing cause this is the 5th movie but the 7th and final book was also released in book stores at about the same time the movie was released. Book 7 came out on July 7 and the movie had early previews on July 10.
    Book 7, "HP and the Deathly Hallows" hasn't been released yet. July 21st is the date for that.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2472871;
    Book 7, "HP and the Deathly Hallows" hasn't been released yet. July 21st is the date for that.
    Got it from a fan blog, guess I was wrong. Hey, it happens occasionally. Still there has been tons and tons of publicity for both movie and book and the release dates are very close so I can understand the confusion.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I took a long lunch today to see this. It was much darker than the previous movies and I think too dark for young kids. After only one viewing this is by far the worst of the series.

Character interaction:
    Best -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Snape and Harry. Learning that Harry's dad was a jerk and a bully while at school was an interesting surprise.

Worst -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry/Hermione/Ron. Once again Harry is an outcast at school, but this time his response to it makes him hard to like especially the way he treats H & R. His connection to Lord V explains that, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch.

Story line:
    Best -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It was great to see Moody, Lupin, and Serius again even though they weren't shown enough.

Worst -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Way too much of the Ministry witch. Why didn't the centaurs or the giant kill her? I got all excited for nothing.

Most ridiculously unbelievable segment:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry teaching inexperienced wizards - especially the Patronus - and them actually mastering it.

Most ridiculously unbelievable propaganda:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry and Dumbledore being accused of lying (for no reason) about Lord V's return.

Best insult:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore calling Lord Voldemort, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2473419;
    I took a long lunch today to see this. It was much darker than the previous movies and I think too dark for young kids. After only one viewing this is by far the worst of the series.

Character interaction:
    Best -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Snape and Harry. Learning that Harry's dad was a jerk and a bully while at school was an interesting surprise.

Worst -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry/Hermione/Ron. Once again Harry is an outcast at school, but this time his response to it makes him hard to like especially the way he treats H & R. His connection to Lord V explains that, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch.

Story line:
    Best -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    It was great to see Moody, Lupin, and Serius again even though they weren't shown enough.

Worst -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Way too much of the Ministry witch. Why didn't the centaurs or the giant kill her? I got all excited for nothing.

Most ridiculously unbelievable segment:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry teaching inexperienced wizards - especially the Patronus - and them actually mastering it.

Most ridiculously unbelievable propaganda:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Harry and Dumbledore being accused of lying (for no reason) about Lord V's return.

Best insult:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dumbledore calling Lord Voldemort, Tom.
    dberk, out of curiousity, have you read the book first?

+ Reply to Thread