+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eight Below

Eight Below

From Hollywood.com:

In the extreme wilderness of Antarctica, three members of a scientific expedition--Jerry Shepard, his best friend, Cooper, and a rugged American geologist--are forced to leave behind their team of beloved sled dogs due to a sudden accident and perilous weather conditions in Antarctica more. During the harsh, Antarctic winter, the dogs must struggle for survival alone in the intense frozen wilderness for over 6 months.

Theatrical Release
    2/4/2006
    Studio Credit
    Buena Vista Pictures Distribution Theatrical Distributor
    Walt Disney Pictures Studio
    Director Credit
    Frank Marshall Director
    Cast Credit
    Paul Walker Jerry Shepard
    Jason Biggs Cooper
    Bruce Greenwood
    Moon Bloodgood
    Production Credits Credit
    David Hoberman Producer
    Todd Lieberman Executive Producer
    Patrick Crowley Producer
    Roy Lee Executive Producer
    Christine Iso Executive Producer
    Masaru Kakutani Executive Producer
    Frank Marshall Executive Producer
    Gary Barber Executive Producer
    Roger Birnbaum Executive Producer
    Production Companies Credit
    Mandeville Films Production Company
    Survival Productions, Ltd Production Company
    Locations
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I knew I was screwed when I saw the trailer for this film, back in November, and I began to weep during the whole thing! Those poor-poor doggies...

Hey misskitty: here's another place you can wave that CANADIAN FLAG!!!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    No way could I ever see this.

CCL
    I really want to see this - the dogs look so cute. But I'm predicting they will kill off (at least) one of the dogs. :/
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I really want to see this - the dogs look so cute. But I'm predicting they will kill off (at least) one of the dogs. :/
    Oh, you know it, CCL....that's guaranteed! I tried to find something out about the "true" story but Disney's site just has film clips and no back story.

That's okay, the fact that this is Disney, the fact that it's a True Story, and the fact that it's for kids+ means that at least most of the doggies will live and I'll get a nice cry out of it. I bawled my eyes out at Seabiscuit and Dreamer, too, and the damn horses lived!

I'm such a sap.

I am so not gonna see this movie. The plot instantly triggered my memory on an older movie I remember seeing when i was little and it depressed me horribly. After searching around, I discovered it's a japanese movie titled "Antartica", and what I read about the movie reminds me how much it depressed me when I saw it on t.v when I was about 8 years old. I will not post any spoilers here, just gonna say it ain't pretty.
    Last edited by Rembrant; 02-02-2006 at 04:35 AM.

Rembrant, this was based on a story about a Japanese team, so you probably saw the original.

I saw this over the weekend with my daughter. I've owned huskies and malamutes (both are featured in the movie), so I enjoyed it on a few different levels. Those dogs really can do anything they showed them doing in the movie (breaking their chains, breaking into buildings, etc), even though I overheard some other movie-goers expressing doubt about it on their way out. Those dogs are strong as oxen and are the Houdinis of the dog world.

Anyway, it was a really engaging story and my daughter and I both enjoyed it. There were a few parts that were a little scary for her (something jumps out at the dogs and there's a tense chase scene) and there were a few sad scenes. I'll put them in spoiler tags in case any other parents want to take their kids and want to know what to expect.

Click to see Spoiler:

There are two dog deaths and one dog injury.

The dogs are left chained up and the owners can't get back to them. All of the dogs manage to break loose except the oldest dog, who is too weak. They show him lay down and close his eyes and later in the film, the owner finds his body still chained up.

Another dog falls off a cliff and is injured. It dies overnight. There's no blood or anything. It just lays down and whines.

The third dog has her foot injured by a leopard seal. There's one scene where they try to make you think she's dying, but she's found later and rescued.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread