+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy Awards

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I'm hoping that this helps push into American consciousness that "we're HERE, we're QUEER, and we just want to be accepted and and allowed to marry!"
    Thank you lambikins for the flags! I couldn't find any!

And BTW, as I've said on the Clay Aiken site, you can still come up to Canada and get married! It's still legal,... for now. Hey, if it's good enough for Rosie .....
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Thank you lambikins for the flags! I couldn't find any!

And BTW, as I've said on the Clay Aiken site, you can still come up to Canada and get married! It's still legal,... for now. Hey, if it's good enough for Rosie .....
    misskitty: I'm glad you liked your flags! Next time you need to wave one, go to google images and type in "animated Canadian flags"; zillions pop up for you to wave!

Regarding Canada...if it were only that simple and legal. Sally and I can marry in Canada and her home country of the U.K., but it doesn't affect her status in America, where the U.S. government wouldn't recognize us as a couple, allowing her to stay without the reams of paperwork and lawyers we're going through. Maybe some day.....
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

If I was choosing some of the categories

Best Actor
    Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote

Best Supporting Actor
    George Clooney - Syriana

Best Actress
    Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actress
    Michelle Williams - Brokeback Mountain (Hands down my favorite in the whole movie!)

Cinematography
    Brokeback Mountain

Visual Effects
    The Chronicles of Narnia

Original Screenplay
    Crash

Best Picture
    Crash
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Don't forget to enter the FORT movie giveaway contest - where your Oscar Picks could make you a winner!

See here for all the details!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I know BBM is good as a lot of my friends have seen it and loved it.

I fell in love with Crash though. I'm leaning for that for at least screen play original.

Didn't see the rest of the movies. I hope the people who deserve to win instead of the ones who SHOULD have won.

I also wanted to add, I don't think Matt Dillion was Oscar worthy here. He SHOULD have got one for......."The Outsiders".

JMHO
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Here's some interesting information on THE ACADEMY AWARDS

What Day is it?
    The Academy Award ceremony basically was a non-public affair in 1927 and 1928. But it had created such public interest that the Oscar Presentation Night was introduced in 1929. Until 1954 the Oscars were presented mostly on a Thursday. From 1955 to 1958, they were presented on a Wednesday. From 1959 until 1998 the Oscars were, with a few exceptions, presented on a Monday night. Only since 1999 did the Awards ceremony take place on a Sunday (in March). In total up to 2005, the famous statuettes have been handed out on 32 Monday nights, 21 Thursday nights, 8 Wednesdays, 6 Tuesdays, 2 Fridays, once on a Saturday (1948), and four times on a Sunday. The Oscar Awards were held twice: on 3 April and on 5 November. No ceremony was held in 1933. Since 1940 people have been kept on the edge of their seats with the familiar phrase "The envelope please."

A Bit of History
    The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was established in May 1927 as a non-profit corporation to promote the art of movie making. In the first year, the Academy had 36 members, with Douglas Fairbanks Sr as president. The first Academy Awards, now better known as the Oscars, were presented at a private dinner in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, with less than 250 persons attending. Today, the Academy has over 6 000 honorary members - the Oscar Awards are viewed by more than a billion people on television.

The first television broadcast of the Oscars took place in 1953 - on black and white TV, telecasted throughout the US and Canada. Telecasting in colour begun in 1966, and since 1969, the Oscars have been telecast throughout the world. By the mid-1990s it was telecast in over 100 countries.

The first Oscars
    At the first Acadamy Awards, Best Director awards went to Lewis Milestone for Two Arabian Knights and Frank Borzage for 7th Heaven. The first award for Actor in a Leading Role went to Emil Jannings for his roles in The Last Command and The Way of All Flesh. The first Best Actress award was won Janet Gaynor for her roles in 7th Heaven, Street Angel and Sunrise. The first Best Picture award went to WINGS. Those were the days of the silent movies, thus WINGS was the only silent to have won a Best Picture Oscar. It also featured Gary Cooper in a minor role. Swiss-born Jannings grew up in Germany and had a heavy German accent which, with the advent of sound in movies, basically put an end to his Hollywood movie career.

Records
    The record for most acting nominations without a single win is shared by Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton with seven. The most nominated actors for Best Actor and Best Supporting Roles are Jack Nicholson (11), Laurence Olivier (10), and Spencer Tracy (9). No male performer has yet won three Best Actor awards.

Only one actress has won the Best Actress award four times: Katharine Hepburn is the only actress to have won the Best Actress award four times, for Morning Glory (1932/3), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968), and On Golden Pond (1981). In 1968 Katherine Hepburn was tied with and Barbra Streisand for the Best Actress award.

Shortest Performance
    Anthony Quinn's performance as painter Paul Gaugin in Lust for Life (1956) is the shortest ever to win an Academy Award. He was on screen for only 8 minutes. Judi Dench made the second shortest Oscar-winning performance, winning Supporting Actress for her potrayal of Elizabeth I in "Sheakespeare in Love" (1999).

Family Matters
    The Hustons are the only family to produce three generations of Oscar winners: Walter Huston was named Best Supporting Actor in 1948 for his role in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre; John Huston was awarded Best Director/Adapted Screenplay for the same movie, and Anjelica Huston received an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Prizzi's Honor, 1985.

Only two married couples won Oscars for acting roles: Laurence Olivier (Hamlet, 1948) and Vivian Leigh (A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951); and Joanne Woodward (The Three Faces of Eve, 1957) and Paul Newman (The Color of Money, 1986). The only sisters to have won Oscars are Joan Fontaine (Suspicion, 1941) and Olivia de Havilland (To Each His Own, 1946, and The Heiress, 1949).

No thank you!
    In 1970 George C. Scott refused the Oscar for his award-winning performance in Patton. In 1972 Marlon Brando refused the Oscars for his award-winning role in The Godfather. They weren't the first, though. In 1935 a writer named Dudley Nichols refused to accept the Oscar for his movie The Informer because the Writers Guild was on strike against the movie studios at the time.

I'm glad that you started this, misskitty!

Just wanted to let any one know who is interested: I was at BEST BUY today, and they have a FREE Oscar Guide that is pretty neat! It gives bios and rundowns on all the major players...and did I mention, it's FREE!

I picked up 4 copies for everyone at the apartment so we can sound like experts during the Award show.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I know this will sound strange but my favorite part of the awards is when they do the "Rememberances" of everyone that passed away since the last Oscars. It's just so moving and I like seeing all the old clips. I hope they are able to include Don Knotts, Darren McGavin, and Dennis Weaver. I don't know how long in advance they have this stuff done though.

I've always enjoyed the openings when Billy Crystal was the host. Especially when he would insert himself into some of the movies being nominated. I hope Jon Stewart does a good job. I never catch his show but I like him.

I usually tape the show because I can never stay awake to the end. I haven't seen any of the nominated movies this year. I really need to get caught up!
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-03-2006 at 07:37 PM.

This is the first year that I've seen all of them. Some years, I've seen none because of lack of interest.

But the crop that's out there for 2006 is the best that I can remember in my adult history. In fact, my sweetie and I are doing something this year I've never done before: we're going to the Gene Siskel Center tomorrow to see all the animated shorts and documentaries that are up for Oscars.
    Last edited by lambikins; 03-03-2006 at 07:57 PM.

I haven't seen any of the movies nominated. It's too expensive to go to the theatres so I'm planning on renting them later.

I heard today that the money earnings of the top 5 films nominated together is LESS than what Star Wars brought in last year alone. This is the first year that all nominated films are low budget, with social topics: gay relationships, racism, terrorism and something else .

I'll try out the contest with no great expectations.

I can hardly wait to see Jon Stewart. As he said recently, he has nothing to lose. How much lower can you go from cable t.v.... public television? He's such a cutie.

+ Reply to Thread