+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnum P.I. Coming to the Big Screen

Magnum P.I. Coming to the Big Screen

This actually excites me. I had the biggest crush on Tom Selleck when I was little because of this show. If they stick to the tone of the original show and find an actor that can be a convincing Magnum, I'd love to see it. If it turns into a spoof, count me out.

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Rawson Marshall Thurber ("Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story") has signed on to write and direct the big-screen adaptation of "Magnum P.I.," the 1980s series that made Tom Selleck a star.

"Magnum P.I.," which ran on CBS from 1980 to 1988, followed the adventures of Thomas Magnum, a Navy intelligence officer-turned-private investigator hired by wealthy author and playboy Robin Masters to oversee security on the latter's massive Hawaii estate.

Magnum lived in Masters' guest house and drove his Ferrari (the car would become one of the show's signatures), much to the chagrin of Jonathan Higgins III, a proper Englishman who ran the estate.

Magnum also continued to take on cases in which he was aided and abetted by his Vietnam vet buddies, notably helicopter pilot T.C. and club manager Rick.

Thurber is not making a spoof but rather something akin to the tone of the show, which mixed humor and danger. The story line for the Universal Pictures film sees Magnum, with the help of his former military pals, searching for a missing buddy.

Features versions of such TV staples as "Charlie's Angels," "Dukes of Hazzard" and "Starsky and Hutch" have done well at the box office in recent years.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I just read this too. I'm trying to think of who would make a good Magnum - it's hard to beat the original. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I just read this too. I'm trying to think of who would make a good Magnum - it's hard to beat the original. Any suggestions?
    The only person I can think of, besides Tom Selleck, is Joaquin Phoenix. He's the only big name out there who can actually act.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I was trying to think of one too, but I can't. There just aren't many rugged actors like Tom Selleck in Hollywood anymore. Unless you count Vince Vaughn, which I don't.

ETA: OH! GOOD suggestion, Rattus. I think he'd be pretty good in the role.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I LOOOVE Joaquin, but I can't see him taking the role. (prove me wrong, Joaquin!)

Unfortunately, I think it's got spoof/Johnny Knoxville all over it.

And...I like Vince Vaughn, but I think he looks soft and doughy.
    (as opposed to perfect-body Tom Selleck.)
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    are they going to set it back int he 89s and have them vietnam vets? of make it present time and have them vietnam vets? if so. get the original cast (excluding Higgins, As he passed away for those not in the know) and do it that way. I have heard Selleck has been trying to do this for years. if they make it modern day then they will be gulf war vets. how about the dude who plays Josh on west wing...Bradford soemthing

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    This actually excites me. I had the biggest crush on Tom Selleck when I was little because of this show. If they stick to the tone of the original show and find an actor that can be a convincing Magnum, I'd love to see it. If it turns into a spoof, count me out.
    I'm with ya Stargazer. I could not get enough of Tom Selleck back in the 80's Right now I can't imagine anyone else playing Magnum. I've got the first season on DVD so I will have to watch again and think about it.

Maybe they'll break away from type and choose someone that doesn't look at all like Tom. Look how they picked the new James Bond - he's blond and doesn't look anything like the other dark-haired Bonds. And look how they picked Colin Farrell to be Crockett in the upcoming Miami Vice! So who knows

My musts are:
    must be tall and built, not small and wiry like Colin Farrell
    must have sexy mustache
    must have sexy voice
    must not be Tom Cruise, Colin Farrell, Will Ferrell (hmm, maybe with a mustache and serious, not goofy, acting, Will might be able to pull it off), Ben Affleck, Jude Law, or any other hollywood golden boy - not that I dislike them, I just can't see any of them in the role.

Who am I kidding, if it's not Tom Selleck I just don't know But Joaquin - yes, I could accept him.

You know who would be great, physically? The guy that plays Luca on ER. Goran Visnjic. His accent would count him out, though. But he's tall, dark, and devastatingly handsome.

Charlie Sheen? (just add mustache and he already has the cocky attitude needed to pull off Magnum). But he looks too short .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast