Thread: Last Holiday

Last Holiday

From IMBd:

"Directed by
    Wayne Wang

Writing credits (WGA)
    Jeffrey Price (screenplay) &
    Peter S. Seaman (screenplay)

Genre: Adventure / Comedy / Drama (more)

Tagline: She Always Thought She Was Somebody... And She Was

Plot Outline: After she's diagnosed with a terminal illness, a shy woman decides to take a European vacation.

Queen Latifah .... Georgia Byrd
    LL Cool J .... Sean Matthews
    Timothy Hutton .... Matthew Kragen
    Giancarlo Esposito .... Senator Dillings
    Alicia Witt .... Ms. Burns
    Gérard Depardieu .... Chef Didier
    Jane Adams .... Rochelle
    Michael Estime .... Marlon (as Mike Estime)
    Susan Kellerman .... Ms. Gunther (as Susan Kellermann)
    Jascha Washington .... Darius
    Matt Ross .... Adamian
    Ranjit Chowdhry .... Dr. Gupta
    Michael Nouri .... Congressman Stewart
    Jaqueline Fleming .... Tanya
    Kendall Mosby .... Anton

MPAA: Rated PG-13 for some sexual reference.
    Runtime: 112 min
    Language: English
    Color: Color
    Sound Mix: Dolby Digital
    Certification: UK:12A / USA : PG-13 "

I just saw this; what an adorable movie. Queen Latifah is lovable, vulnerable and just makes the movie watchable. Yes, it's a tired old chestnut that's been done poorly and greatly over the years, but if you're going to have "left overs", make them as tasty as this movie.

The New Orleans of old (pre-Katrina) is featured in the first and last bits of the film and an exotic location in Prague, in the Alps, for the middle. The characters were exactly what they should be: charming, smarmy, silly, contrite but still capable of being cared for. As Roger Ebert said, so well: "They only want to amuse us, warm us, and make us feel good. "Last Holiday" plays like a hug."

I really enjoyed this movie for making me feel good. I didn't have to study political uprisings or witch-hunts to understand it; I didn't have to read 800+ pages of a book to get the plot. I could just crunch on popcorn, sip my soda and be entertained. That's not asking too much from a film, now, is it?
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

yay, I'm glad people like this, I was wondering if I should wait for it to be 'demandable' or buy a bootleg, but I will go support it. I love Queen Latifah and I'm glad for her. Love LL too, he makes me blush

I saw this movie today and really enjoyed it. It was both funny and serious when it needed to be and had a very positive message as well.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I'll probably see this movie eventually...but the plot just sounds so morbid! I mean, its about what crazy hi-jinks she gets up to in her last weeks to live, and it's a comedy? Weeeeird.

Trust me it is very much a comedy --- yes there is a serious theme that is at the core....but you are laughing 90% of the movie. At least the audience I was in did.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

It's hilarious! Please go see this movie.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread