+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Kong - 12/14

King Kong - 12/14

PG-13 3 hr Action, Remake, Adventure
    From Hollywood.com

It is 1933, and vaudeville actress Ann Darrow has found herself--like so many other New Yorkers during the Great Depression--without the means to earn a living. Unwilling to compromise and allow herself to sink into a career in burlesque, she considers her limited options while aimlessly wandering the streets of Manhattan. When her hunger drives her to unsuccessfully try to steal an apple from a fruit vendor's stall, she is rescued--literally--by filmmaker and multiple hyphenate Carl Denham.

It seems that the entrepreneur-raconteur-adventurer is no stranger to theft, having that day lifted the only existing print of his most recent and unfinished film from under his studio executives' noses when they threatened to pull his completion funds.
    Carl has until the end of the day to get his crew onboard the Singapore-bound tramp steamer, the S.S. Venture, in hopes of completing his travelogue/action film.
    With that, the showman is certain he will finally achieve the personal greatness he knows awaits him around the corner--and although the crew believe that corner to be Singapore, Denham actually hopes to find and capture on film the mysterious place of legend: Skull Island. Unfortunately for Carl, his headlining actress has pulled out of his project, but his search for a size-four leading lady (the costumes have all been made) has, fatefully, led him to Ann.
    The struggling actress is reluctant to sign on with Denham, until she learns that the up-and-coming, socially relevant playwright Jack Driscoll is penning the screenplay--the fees his friend Carl pays for potboiling adventure are a welcome supplement to Driscoll's nominal income from his stage plays. With his newly discovered star and coerced screenwriter reluctantly onboard, Denham's "moving picture ship" heads out of New York Harbor--and toward a destiny that none aboard could possibly foresee.
    Director
    Peter Jackson

Cast
    Naomi Watts - Ann Darrow
    Jack Black - Carl Denham
    Adrien Brody - Jack Driscoll
    Andy Serkis - King Kong/Lumpy the Cook
    Thomas Kretschmann - Captain Englehorn
    Kyle Chandler - Bruce Baxter
    Colin Hanks - Preston
    Jamie Bell - Jimmy
    Evan Dexter Parke - Hayes
    Lobo Chan - Choy
    John Sumner - Herb
    Craig Hall - Mike
    Ray Woolf - Helmsman

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    I can't believe nobody is excited to see this. I'm seeing it at midnight!

I'm catching a matinee of this in a few hours, and yes ExLurker, buddy, I'm excited about it! So glad it's harking back to the 30's definitive version.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fanatic
    It got a low income! I wanna watch it, why not anybody?

I wanna watch it too. It looks pretty good to me. However, its like 3 hours long. Kinda like Titanic.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Premium Member
    I'm interested to know what everybody thinks about it but I'm not going to see it. I can't help asking how many times they need to remake the same movie. If it's really 3 hours long that is another reason why I don't want to see it.

Well we know how it ends, so the only reason to see it would be for the special effects. I managed to sit through and really enjoy Narnia because I hadn't read the book and didn't know the outcome. As for King Kong, I'm interested in seeing it but am perfectly fine waiting for it to come out on video as I do with most movies these days.

I'm just back from seeing KING KONG, and the three hours seemed like 3 minutes.....seriously!!! Even the Super-sized soda and popcorn had NO effect on my bladder; the movie was over in a blink of an eye.

I only vaguely knew about the original King Kong: Big Ape, Blonde Girl, Empire State Building, Big Splat.

I am so grateful to Peter Jackson, that it was this film that made him who he is. The movie is a tour de force. If anyone ever had a doubt if Jackson could top LoTR's, they can rid themselves of the doubt...NOW!

But I will say one thing: I shall never, never see this movie, in entirety...again. I can't remember the last time that I was in a theatre where people (myself included) were openly sobbing...maybe...SCHINDLER'S LIST?

Five napkins later, and only limited to five because that's the amount I had, I'm only going to see this on DVD, and stop it when Kong and Ann are happy. I can't take Jackson's ending and Andy Serkis' acting; my heart isn't that strong.

Jack Black was a brilliant choice of a 1930's Man without Conscience; Adrian Brody was perfectly moody and Kyle Chandler (from Evening Edition) was a modern interpretation of a John Wayne-esque character, and did it with relish.

Naiomi Watts: where do I send the 100 roses, for your performance? I've seen a boat load of Romance Movies and they's PAY to have the pathos of this film.

Special effects were special, sound track was wonderful and although the theatre was packed, not a peep could be heard, (except in the parts that audiences should be laughing, screaming, crying).

Three hours=5 stars=Sob-a-thon
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Wow...what a great remake...it's just as good as the original with Faye Wray. Andy Sirkis did a phenomenal job with infusing Kong with emotion...you can read everything he feels in a gesture. I started bawling like a baby four times, at least. Lambi, I too, don't think I can make it through another viewing of it, it's too heartbreaking.

It's a little pervy of me to notice how cute (okay hot) Jamie Bell looks in this movie.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Wow...what a great remake...it's just as good as the original with Faye Wray. Andy Sirkis did a phenomenal job with infusing Kong with emotion...you can read everything he feels in a gesture. I started bawling like a baby four times, at least. Lambi, I too, don't think I can make it through another viewing of it, it's too heartbreaking.

It's a little pervy of me to notice how cute (okay hot) Jamie Bell looks in this movie.
    Tex: I'm so glad that you saw it, too, and that it affected you the same way. There were men, women, kids and me...and crying silently (at first) and then just bawling at the end of the film.

I loved DANCES WITH WOLVES, but after seeing it once, I never could see it again. Even when I see that it's on TV, it makes my stomach hurt so much to think of the wolf being shot, the bison killed and the ending, that I've never been able to revisit it. I guess that's the mark of a good film: to leave THAT much of an impression on you.

?I don't know who Jamie Bell is? But, wasn't Colin Hanks hot, too??? He reminds me so much of his daddy; Tom should be very proud!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast