+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: King Kong - 12/14

What's up with you sissies that were crying during this movie? I was a little teary as well, but that was because my arse was killing me.

Peter Jackson may be a great director but I really think 3 hours was a little over-indulgent. (The final LOTR movie bored the crap out of me too.) If this movie had been an hour shorter I would have enjoyed it a LOT more - good cast (I even liked Jack Black, and I usually loathe him) and really spectacular effects. The real bummer was, I guess, that like Titanic, I knew what was going to happen at the end - and it took so loooooooong to get there.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fanatic
    I watched this movie a couple of days ago. It's BRILLIANT!! The Cinematography was PERFECT. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. It definitley deserves Oscars!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Just saw this....Andy Serkis was great as Kong... well, they were all good. And great special effects. Re the length issue... there were one or two transition points where I did suddenly notice... good grief, they haven't even met Kong yet, or good grief, they are still on the island, but overall it just flew.
    Was struck by the fact that no one seemed to care whether Anne was up on the Empire State Building with Kong or not, they just kept firing away. So much for chivalry of the pilots. Of course maybe they thought she was a captive.
    Someone mentioned Tom Hanks' son was in it--what part did he play?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Someone mentioned Tom Hanks' son was in it--what part did he play?
    PWS - Colin Hanks played Jack Black's assistant.

I don't understand the problem with the length either I thought it flew by. I saw it back when it first opened and LOVED it. You could just feel the affection that Peter Jackson has for this story. I completely forgot that Kong was CGI and I thought Naomi Watts was incredible, especially considering that she had to act to nothing a lot of the time. I definitely think she deserved a Golden Globe nom.

I'm surprised that it didn't do as well at the box office. Maybe that's because people already know it's not going to be a typical happy Hollywood ending? Regardless, I thought it was spectacular.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The scene between Kong and the dinosaurs went on FOREVER! I was sqirming. My kids commented on that part afterwards, too.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    PWS - Colin Hanks played Jack Black's assistant.

Thanks, Critical! Hmmm now have to try to visualize his face, see if he looks like Tom.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I saw this film yesterday and was EXTREMELY impressed. LOVED the story line - I mean, everyone know that Kong gets dragged to NY, breaks loose, winds up on the tall building with the blonde, gets shot down by planes, falls & dies. So, the rest of the story leading up to all of that is what gets revitalized and revamped. The special effects were great and the romance between Anne & Driscoll was lovely.

My only beef? Gorillas/apes do NOT behave the way that Kong was portrayed - HUMANS behave that way. But, Kong was still a wonderful portrayal. (Oh, one comment about how you didn't see Kong-sized genitalia? Apes genitalia is MUCH smaller in porportion to their body size than in humans)
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    What's up with you sissies that were crying during this movie?
    ! I didn't go to see it on N.Y.Eve with my sweetie 'cause I heard it was a tear-jerker too! And I didn't want to cry on that day.

But we just went last night and I LOVED IT!!! No tears, but great compassion for Kong and his love of Annie. Jack Black was perfect for his role. Incredible animation, cinematography, acting, casting, storyline. I was entertained all the way through even though it was a bit long. If I wanted to, it's easy to pick a few things apart that really don't make sense, like how on earth did they lift Kong onto the boat, transport him back, and get him into the Orpheus theatre, but hey, it's a movie and a classic. five stars from me. I'd recommend it on the big screen anyday.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I did not cry! I'm no whimp

I enjoyed the film, well most of it. Three hours was tooooo long. Actually I was okay up until the last 20-30 minutes......Kong sitting on the E.S. bldg. looking longingly into her eyes, my butt falling asleep in the seat and all I kept thinking was "fall already, I know you're going to do it, enough with the the come-hither looks and get to falling!"
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE HAPPY COUPLE!

Attachment 16723
    Jack Black Marries
    WENN

Jack Black has eloped with his girlfriend Tanya Haden.

The couple first met while they were attending a private performing arts high school in Santa Monica, California, but were not romantically involved.

According to the bride's father, jazz bassist Charlie Haden, "They love each other very much. We're thrilled."

The couple began dating when they bumped into each other last April at a mutual friend's birthday party where, Black's two-man band Tenacious D was performing.

Black says of the initial meeting, "Tanya was there. I got really nervous and I talked to her...and it's been great. I'm really crazy about her."

The actor reportedly proposed to Haden just after Christmas, presenting her with a $220,000 ring from celebrity jeweller Neil Lane.

http://www.dose.ca/edmonton/celeb/go...DLmNOrrg%3d%3d
    Last edited by misskitty; 08-30-2006 at 02:00 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123