+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King Kong - 12/14

Jamie Bell was the kid who loved his adventure stories, Jimmy. As for the boxoffice take, the projected figures haven't been met yet...I think because they based it on what the Lord of the Rings Trilogy brought in with Peter Jackson, as well as expecting a larger female viewership that hasn't come through as of yet. But the movie is hopefully going to build up some momentum and staying power. We shall see.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Ah, thanks for the Jamie Bell info, Tex! I found this> on-line: "Andy Sirkis, besides doing duty giving movement and expression to Kong, also plays the ship’s one-eyed cook, Lumpy." (I wish I would have known this, going into the film, so I could appreciate him more.

I thing I was thinking through-out the film, and this is NOT a spoiler.

King Kong has always been portrayed as a male, hence KING, great ape. Now, I know that they can't have GIANT-sized genitalia hanging from Kong (too distracting and all the boys would laugh), but what if King were really a QUEEN???? It makes more sense, to me, that the nurturing and protective instincts that all good moms display, would make more sense if it were Queen Kong, vs. King. I know that after I found out that Sigorney's alien was a mom protecting her eggs, I was more in the aliens camp than Sigorney's. Mom animals will go to their death to protect their young, so it just kinda made more sense, (for me) to think that Kong was protecting her baby (Ann Darrow), especially in the scenes when Kong is shown cradling Ann.

Either way, it's a bittersweet film. Just goes to show you, how much we've changed. Before, we shot the wolves, now we raise them and reintroduce them. Where's the World Wildlife People, launching protests of Kong's treatment, in this film? (ironically spoken, since it takes place in 1932.)

FOX exit polls of women from the movie had them saying "I want a man like Kong!" (and NO!, I'm not going anywhere near an explanation with that, Dr. Freud!)
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Those are some weird women FOX found to poll...I projected my feelings towards my beloved pit bull terriers onto Kong and I don't think *that* helped with the waterworks, I was shaking in my seat crying. Interesting theory about Kong being female, you know, it makes a lot of sense.

It wasn't beauty that killed the beast, it was ugliness, that of which we as humans have excelled at for so long.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Those are some weird women FOX found to poll...I projected my feelings towards my beloved pit bull terriers onto Kong and I don't think *that* helped with the waterworks, I was shaking in my seat crying. Interesting theory about Kong being female, you know, it makes a lot of sense.

It wasn't beauty that killed the beast, it was ugliness, that of which we as humans have excelled at for so long.
    Tex: I lost my beloved flame-point Siamese this past 16th of April and can't get past the loss and grief, so I saw my kitty, Luna-Tuna, on the screen.

I'm glad that you didn't dismiss the female-ness of my theory, regarding Queen Kong. Yah, I know that the producers made Kong a Silver-backed gorilla (and that's tied to males), but hey...that's only because they were playing into the maleness of the myth. With only a couple of exceptions in the animal/human world, it's the FEMALE of the species that will go to her death to protect her young; if you watch gorilla/ape footage, the male is sitting on a hummock, watching over his harem of 4 women and it's the female gorilla/ape who's coddling/caring/protecting the child. When you saw what was left of Kong's clan (in the cave), it would make sense that Ann was kicking in Kong's maternal instincts.

Of course, maternal love doesn't play as well at the box office like romantic love, so I guess that for most people, Kong will have to be a 'he' vs. a 'she'. No matter, I'm going to think of the movie now, as QUEEN Kong. I'm more at peace with that.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I saw the previews for this today when I went to see Harry Potter at the theatre. I was STUNNED, and cannot wait to see it. I really have enjoyed the viewpoints you all have expressed here about it. The preview was spectacular!

P.S. I loooooove Jamie Bell!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Oh boy. It's a tearjerker? I was thinking of seeing it for New Years but the last thing I want to do that day is cry . Thanks for the preview information. I'll wait until I'm at home so I have lots of tissues.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Me and my 12 year old son went to see it the 1st weekend it was out and I don't know who cried harder or more..me or my son... fortunately I knew to grab a handful of napkins at the snack bar.....
    We both thought it was a excellent movie and in my opinion, one that should be seen on the big movie screen to capture the full effects! My son, of course, loved it because it had dinosaurs AND Jack Black in it!!! I must admit, Jack Black did an excellent job acting in this movie. Naomi Watts is a stunning women who looks remarkably alot like Nicole Kidman (and yes, I know they are big buddies!).
    I agree with lambikins that Kong could very well be Queen Kong but society will never embrace that theory (but we can do so here on the FORT!).
    I highly recommend this movie to go see...I, like others here, cannot face going to the theater to see it again....My head was pounding, my mascara was running, my nose was stopped up from all the crying...I rank this right up there with "Old Yeller", "Beaches", "Titantic", "Bambi", "Dumbo", "Where the Red Fern Grows", "Armagedddon" and every damn episode of "Little House on the Prairie" and "Highway to Heaven"...you better be prepared to sob........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I saw it on Christmas Eve with my husband and eldest son.
    They both really enjoyed it, while I found it tediously boring and took a nap.

I saw this Christmas night, and thought it was quite good. It was too long -- they could have cut out some of the monkey-lovin' scenes, and they were on that island a LONG time -- but otherwise I was pretty riveted. I'd recommend it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    They both really enjoyed it, while I found it tediously boring and took a nap.
    I also found this movie to be to long, about an hour of it could have been edited out. It was a decent movie and the effects were great but not the best movie I have seen this year. I also agree I will never watch this movie again, not because it was sad but because it gets really boring.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast