+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Producers - 12/16

The Producers - 12/16

PG-13 2 hr 14 mins Musical, Comedy, Remake

From Hollywood.com
    It's a 1959, and Broadway is buzzing with some of the theater world's biggest names.
    Producer Max Bialystock, however, is no longer one of them.
    One day, mousy accountant Leo Bloom shows up at Bialystock's office to do his books and innocently remarks that a dishonest man could make more money producing a flop than a hit show.
    Immediately, a light bulb goes off in Bialystock's head, and he tries to persuade the reluctant Bloom to join him in his perfect plan to embezzle a fortune by producing a sure-fire Broadway misfire and then skip town with the cash. Deciding he's had enough, Bloom seizes the day and becomes Bialystock's partner in crime. Searching for the ultimate bad play, Max and Leo discover a musical entitled "Springtime for Hitler--A Gay Romp with Adolf and Eva in Berchesgarten."

They decide to pay the playwright, Franz Liebkind, a visit on his Greenwich Village rooftop. Before he will agree to let Bialystock and Bloom produce his play, however, the Nazi-loving Liebkind insists the two would-be producers join him in celebrating the Aryan way of life and forces them to pledge allegiance to Hitler. Bialystock and Bloom embark upon securing the most appropriately untalented director. Upon entering the piss-elegant apartment of Roger DeBris and his common-law assistant Carmen Ghia, the duo finds that DeBris and company are reluctant to take on such serious subject matter until the producers convince them that, in their hands, "Springtime For Hitler" could bring the director the respect and prestige (read: Tony) of which he's always dreamed.
    When blonde Swedish bombshell Ulla shows up at the office looking to audition, Bialystock and Bloom hire her on the spot for the chorus. Until rehearsals, the panting duo agree that she'll work as their secretary/receptionist. In order to raise the two million dollars needed to "fund" the play, Bialystock must pay a visit to his demanding benefactors, hundreds of sex-starved little old ladies across Manhattan.
    Meanwhile, the girl-shy Bloom becomes hopelessly smitten with Ulla and is surprised to find that the attraction is quite mutual.
    Director
    Susan Stroman

Cast
    Nathan Lane - Max Bialystock
    Matthew Broderick - Leo Bloom
    Roger Bart - Carmen Ghia
    Gary Beach - Roger DeBris
    Uma Thurman - Ulla
    Andrea Martin - Kiss Me-Feel Me
    Debra Monk - Lick Me-Bite Me
    Will Ferrell - Franz Liebkind
    Michael McKean - Prison Trustee
    David Huddleston - Judge
    Jon Lovitz - Mr. Marks

I just saw this yesterday with my husband and it was hilarious! The whole theater was just in stitches the whole movie! I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard in a movie theater. Lane, Broderick, and Thurman. Pure brilliance! What a fantastic team of actors. Will Farrell as the German screenplay writer for "Springtime for Hitler" was an awesome choice! I don't think anyone else could've pulled it off the way he did. I was actually very shocked not only to discover that he did his own singing but I was also shocked to see Jai Rodriguez (of Queer Eye fame) and Peter Bartlett (Nigel from One Life To Live) in the movie. They may have only had bit parts but it was great to see their faces. Matthew Broderick as a neurotic obsessive compulsive accountant was just hilarious. He did neurotic very well!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

nilesgirl...... did you recognize Roger Bart from Desperate Housewives???
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    nilesgirl...... did you recognize Roger Bart from Desperate Housewives???
    I didn't recognize him, no. I didn't realize it was him until I checked out his name on IMDB.
    I can't believe it!
    I loved it when he answered the door. "Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss s?"
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

nilesgirl, I am planning to add this version of The Producers to my collection. I already own the original.

I mention this because if you want to see the definitive portrayal of Hitler, watch Dick Shawn in the original movie.

Roger Bart was fantastic as Carmen Ghia.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    nilesgirl, I am planning to add this version of The Producers to my collection. I already own the original.

I mention this because if you want to see the definitive portrayal of Hitler, watch Dick Shawn in the original movie.

Roger Bart was fantastic as Carmen Ghia.
    I definitely plan on owning it. I loved George Beach as Roger! And That character playing Hitler was great! And again, Will Ferrell as Franz was great. I loved the Clop Clop dance.

+ Reply to Thread