+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

R 2 hr 14 mins Drama, Romance, Western

From Hollywood.com
    Early one morning in Signal, Wyoming, Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist meet while lining up for employment with local rancher Joe Aguirre. The world which Ennis and Jack have been born into is, at once, changing rapidly and yet scarcely evolving. Both young men seem certain of their set places in the heartland--obtaining steady work, marrying, and raising a family--and yet they hunger for something beyond what they can articulate. When Aguirre dispatches them to work as sheepherders up on the majestic Brokeback Mountain, they gravitate towards camaraderie and then a deeper intimacy. At summer's end, the two must come down from Brokeback and part ways. Remaining in Wyoming, Ennis weds his sweetheart Alma, with whom he will have two daughters as he ekes out a living. Jack, in Texas, catches the eye of rodeo queen Lureen Newsome. Their courtship and marriage result in a son, as well as jobs in her father's business. Four years pass. One day, Alma brings Ennis a postcard from Jack, who is en route to visit Wyoming. Ennis waits expectantly for his friend, and when Jack at last arrives, in just one moment it is clear that the passage of time has only strengthened the men's attachment. In the years that follow, Ennis and Jack struggle to keep their secret bond alive. They meet up several times annually. Even when they are apart, they face the eternal questions of fidelity, commitment, and trust. Ultimately, the one constant in their lives is a force of nature--love.
    Director
    Ang Lee

Cast
    Jake Gyllenhaal - Jack Twist
    Heath Ledger - Ennis Del Mar
    Michelle Williams - Alma
    Anne Hathaway - Lureen
    Randy Quaid - Joe Aguirre
    Scott Michael Campbell - Monroe
    Anna Faris - LaShawn Malone

I recently saw a preview of this movie at the theatre. It looks interesting, I wouldn't mind catching it. I will probably wait until I hear more reviews on it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Annie Proulx is my favorite contemporary author, so I've been psyched for this film since I found out that she did the short story that inspired the movie. I'll probably see this movie in the morning, and Narnia at night.

Looks like a busy Friday for me!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I, too, am a huge Annie Proulx fan and found "Brokeback Mountain" - the short story, that is - to be one of the most beautiful and original love stories I've ever read. Add to that two drop dead gorgeous men and one of my favourite directors, and I'd say we're in for a real treat.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl View Post
    I, too, am a huge Annie Proulx fan and found "Brokeback Mountain" - the short story, that is - to be one of the most beautiful and original love stories I've ever read. Add to that two drop dead gorgeous men and one of my favourite directors, and I'd say we're in for a real treat.
    geek the girl: On a tangental theme, if you like Annie's writing and this story in particular, please...please read THE MAN WHO FELL IN LOVE WITH THE MOON, which is hands down, my favorite piece of contemporary fiction!!! Every book club that I've ever belonged to, I've introduced this book, with many a raised eye brow but good discussions, none the less. I've actually worn out two copies of it!

Here's the synopsis: "Publisher Comments:
    Set against the harsh reality of an unforgiving landscape and culture, The Man Who Fell in Love with the Moon provides a vision of the Old West unlike anything seen before. The narrator, Shed, is one of the most memorable characters in contemporary fiction: a half-Indian bisexual boy who lives and works at the Indian Head Hotel in the tiny town of Excellent, Idaho. It's the turn of the century, and the hotel carries on a prosperous business as the town's brothel. The eccentric characters working in the hotel provide Shed with a surrogate family, yet he finds in himself a growing need to learn the meaning of his Indian name, Duivichi-un-Dua, given to him by his mother, who was murdered when he was twelve.

Setting off alone across the haunting plains, Shed goes in search of an identity among his true people, encountering a rich pageant of extraordinary characters along the way. Although he learns a great deal about the mysteries and traditions of his Indian heritage, it is not until Shed returns to Excellent and witnesses a series of brutal tragedies that he attains the wisdom that infuses this exceptional and captivating book. "

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Regular
    If you love the book, it is a good rule of thumb to avoid seeing the movie until your memory of the book dissipates, lol

i can't find this movie playing anywhere...can't say that i'm surprised, though i am disappointed.

oh, and i found this article on it that i thought was quite interesting:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10342237/
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Quote Originally Posted by broken_pryncess View Post
    i can't find this movie playing anywhere...can't say that i'm surprised, though i am disappointed.

oh, and i found this article on it that i thought was quite interesting:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10342237/
    b_p: I read that article yesterday and howled at it! What a great writer.

Yah, I was ALL set to see this film yesterday, since the published release date is December 9th, but looking at every. single. listing. in. Chicago. yielded nothing!!!! Not even the snootiest of art film houses had it listed.

I'm wondering if it's one of those wanker things where "December 9th" is the release in New York and California, and then, seeing how it does there, it's released in other towns.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    I'm wondering if it's one of those wanker things where "December 9th" is the release in New York and California, and then, seeing how it does there, it's released in other towns.
    yeah, it looks that way...after all of my fussing about it not showing anywhere yesterday, my husband did some searching and it turns out that dec. 9 was just the "limited release date in select cities". *sigh* so, i guess we'll see...
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    It finally got reviewed outside the above big cities which hopefully means it is actually available outside the big cities.... I also spent a frustrating 20 min. trying to find it when the first reviews came out. Still getting 4 star type ratings, with Oscar noms predicted for Heath.
    Has anyone been following the Boondocks cartoon strip portrayal of the grandfather seeing it because he thinks it's a "manly" Western? Apparently they live in a suburb that is awfully close to one of the special cities that actually has it as they started seeing it earlier in the week.
    Somehow I don't think many black straight men are going to see it after the way it was handled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast