+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Lambi - from the short story. I'll put it in spoilers so no one else that doesn't want to see it won't.
    Bless you, PGM35, for telling me the final line. I saved the story on WORD, but it's on my Michigan computer...poop! I'll be going home, today, so I can enjoy reading it, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Lambi, watch this again, and then message me with what you think Ennis means at the very end. I've not seen the movie, BUT I've read lots of discussions about the short story vs. the movie, including interpretations and character motivation, and I can give you some insight to what theories have been bandied about.
    Texxie: Can you post links (or PM me) to the various sites that you've found these great discussions??? I would love to get "into" the conversations or read others impressions of this film. So far, I've only found MRQE's 97 reviews of the film and they pretty much say the same thing, with very little additional insight "It's a GREAT film..." .

I want to see this again, next week, between Christmas and New Year's.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Bless you, PGM35, for telling me the final line. I saved the story on WORD, but it's on my Michigan computer...poop! I'll be going home, today, so I can enjoy reading it, then.
    You're Welcome - since you gave me the story, I thought I should return the favor!

Texxie: Can you post links (or PM me) to the various sites that you've found these great discussions??? I would love to get "into" the conversations or read others impressions of this film. So far, I've only found MRQE's 97 reviews of the film and they pretty much say the same thing, with very little additional insight "It's a GREAT film..." .

I want to see this again, next week, between Christmas and New Year's.
    Texi - can you send them to me as well? I would also be interested in reading these. Thanks!

*bump* - has anyone else seen this? I am going to try and go tomorrow - day off - so I will let you know.

Here is a link to an awesome review of the movie.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_rev...il.php?id=1188

I saw it a few days ago, and it's beautiful, haunting and poignant. The pace is deliberately slow but it adds to the feel of the movie, and I was never bored. Some of the most powerful moments are in what's not said, or what Jack and Ennis can't allow themselves to say. The sets are great, right down to the light switch's in Jack's parents house and the tables in the honky tonk bars. The big surprise for me though, was Anne Hathaway's performance, especially in her last scene with her telephone conversation with Ennis and her face registering such a mixture of emotions. Heath is amazing, and I hope he gets the Oscar.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, Lotuslander and you gave it such a nice review. Try as I might, I haven't made it over to see it again, mainly because at our cheapo cinema by our house, they are playing so many good films that I missed, I'm packing them in each day, trying to catch up. Today was ZATHURA and tomorrow it's GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD MORROW. They even have The Chronicles there, which is a HUGE surprise, considering that 1/2 a mile down the road at the GooglePlex, The Chronicles are playing for $9.50 a show vs. $3.00!

I had a disappointing reaction from my roommmate, Michele, about Brokeback that has just left a weird taste in my mouth. She and I are planning on going to a show on New Year's Day, with Sally gone and everything, so I asked her yesterday if she'd like to see either Geisha/Chronicles/or Brokeback. She said, and I quote exactly, "Either Chronicles or Memoirs are okay, but I don't want to see Brokeback." I asked her, "You don't want to see Brokeback now or ever?". She replied, trying to hide her laugh, "I don't want to see a Western with sage brush and thinking of John Wayne with a bunch of gay cowboys _______ing each other."

Color me GOB-SMACKED!!!

She lives with a gay couple, Sally and I, she's been to parties of ours where we have every mix of couples possible, and for this to come out of her mouth, I was just stunned!

I pressed her further and said, "You know, Sally and I saw it and it wasn't filled with sex; it's just a love story."

Her response was, "I know I'm just going to laugh during the whole thing and I don't want the crowd in the theatre to beat me up."

I dropped the subject and just prayed to myself that I had MY life and not HER miserable existance, which I'm very aware of, living with her. What a stupid, ignorant cow. Say you don't want to see it because it's not your taste in movies or you're turned off by it or it even conflicts with your religion, but to say you're going to "laugh through the whole film"....well, ignorant is what ignorant does.

Excuse me now, while I go laugh my ass off during Schindler's List and The Shawshank Redemption.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I thought this movie was amazing, sad, and so moving. I was haunted by it for days. The theater I saw it at in Austin Texas completely sold out every show the weekend of it's premiere. It set all kinds of theatre records nationally that weekend as well.

Here is an article I found discussing it's surprise success and the plans to expand it's release to more screens than originally planned. I think it will eventually be available to pretty much every city in America. Only an idiot theatre owner would throw big money out the window by not showing a sure-bet oscar contender.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1236&cs=1
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

I dropped the subject and just prayed to myself that I had MY life and not HER miserable existance, which I'm very aware of, living with her. What a stupid, ignorant cow. Say you don't want to see it because it's not your taste in movies or you're turned off by it or it even conflicts with your religion, but to say you're going to "laugh through the whole film"....well, ignorant is what ignorant does.

Excuse me now, while I go laugh my ass off during Schindler's List and The Shawshank Redemption.
    Maybe she should read some reviews of it (like the one I posted) which shows that people "think" they know what it's about but then when they see it, they change their point of view.

But then again, I can't get my b/f to go see it either so I know how hard it is to try and convince a closed mind to open.
    I wish I lived closer to you Lambi so we could go see it together!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Maybe she should read some reviews of it (like the one I posted) which shows that people "think" they know what it's about but then when they see it, they change their point of view.

But then again, I can't get my b/f to go see it either so I know how hard it is to try and convince a closed mind to open.

I wish I lived closer to you Lambi so we could go see it together!
    You're such a sweetie pie, PGM! I'd go with you in a flash!!!

Despite all the closed minds out there, it's been very satisfying to see ALL the ads for Brokeback on TV. On one channel I was watching ( A & E ???) they played the ads every time that there was a commercial break.

And I heard on NPR last week how South Africa now has made it legal for same sex marriages. First the U.K., then South Africa...WHEN IS IT AMERICA'S TURN???!!!!

Oh, what a sad film. Excellent, but sad, in the way of any love story where you want to shake the characters and scream at them, "Just move the f_k to San Francisco or The Keys!!!"
    This cracked me up. That would be a different movie entirely, now wouldn't it? They'd go to the Folsom Street Fair and everybody would be in chaps.
    I can't wait to see this movie. But I'm kinda surprised that such an issue is being made about the whole gay thing. It's not like the first gay romance ever released.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fanatic
    I posted this in people who should not hibernate, but I will post it here too:

Jake Gyllenhall took a real "risk" by doing this movie, but it seems to have paid off. I really don't remember him from a lot of movies, but I think he is going to be an A-lister.

Regardless, of your sexuality. This movie has now grossed over 15 million. It originally was in limited release of 69 theatres. Now 269. On Jan 5th, it will increase to 80 more bringing it to almost 350. The budget on this movie was 14 million. I won't be surprised if it does 25 million.

Hope we see a lot more of this guy. I don't think he will be hibernating, much longer

+ Reply to Thread