+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    Thank you SG! My lawyer friend John thinks they'll show it locally in mid-January but I don't know where he got his info from.
    totally off topic, but was wondering who that is in your avatar???
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

I, too, wanted to see this, but the only chain movie theater in our area is Cinemark, which normally stays away from controversial movies until they've played just about everywhere else in the world. I remember having to go to Dallas to see Michael Moore's film Farenheit 911. They may eventually show it here; if not I'll wait until it comes out on DVD.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

It may end up that most people see this film on DVD, either because theatres refuse to play it or because they are too afraid to be seen going to the film. Nothing will be lost seeing in on DVD, since we've all seen mountains in movies before. It's the story that pushes this film.

The same thing happened when QUILLS came out; I was at a dinner party with some hipsters and they were all a twitter that they "wouldn't be caught dead being seen going to the movie about Marque d'Sade. What these completely mis-informed people didn't realize was that there was NO sex scenes (if I remember correctly) and it was all about the last bit of his life. What was funny, was so many people, admitting after the fact, how disappointed they were in the film, because they thought it would be racier.

I went to bed thinking of this film, I dreamed about the film and I woke up haunted by this film. The theatre we went to was packed to the last seat (at 7:00 pm) and it was so nice to see all the gay couples there, holding hands and giving each other knowing looks during scenes of distress.

It is a slow paced film, from start to finish and there's only 1 minute of total time that Ennis and Jake are "together" (a film critic timed it). But, for anyone who "didn't fight the good fight" when it came to staying with someone they loved, it's going to be a deep reminder of how much they lost.

I could go on but it's pointless. This film needs to be experienced. Knowing that any person had (and I'm sure still has) to endure some of the feelings in this film is depressing. Having to give up on love -- not because she cheats on you, but because you aren't allowed to love... it's completely gut wrenching.

Director Ang Lee exposed our vulnerability to Love. A power that is stronger than the evils of society and religion, it is bestowed upon humans to keep for all eternity. This power is a force that transcends life itself, race, creed and even gender.

Never mind the accuracy of all the details, right down to the Wyoming-cowboy shy demeanor of Ledger, to the breathtaking cinematography and lighting, the film conveys everything it intends. In spite of absurd human moral codes and laws, everyone can love. Love is the only thing we can take from this life. Love is the only thing we leave.

Good for Focus films, Lee and the cast, for giving us a "deal with it, we don't care what you think" attitude in the making of this film.
    Last edited by lambikins; 12-22-2005 at 09:20 AM.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Sally and I finally had a chance to see BROKEBACK at one of the only 4 cinemas playing it in Chicago.

Oh, what a sad film. Excellent, but sad, in the way of any love story where you want to shake the characters and scream at them, "Just move the f_k to San Francisco or The Keys!!!"

Matt64 is right: you can't really say anything about the film because to do so gives it away. No special effects to discuss; no locations or green screens, so to discuss the film gives away the plot.

Be aware: even though Heath is lauded as wonderful, I felt (as did Sally) that Jake did the far better job and also, Heath mumbled his lines so badly that no one we knew who was sitting next to us, could make out the final telling line of the film! Damn it!

If anyone else sees this, can you PM me and let me know just what Heath says?
    Excellent film; would love to see it again, in my living room where I can just mope in silence, for it's a very thought provoking film.
    It isn't here yet, but I've heard/read even from critics that they have trouble catching the last line, so if anyone knows what it is how about if you post it, but in spoiler tags? Then those of who haven't seen the film yet won't be spoiled, but we will also know where to come for a translation as soon as we see it.
    Am really looking forward to this.

According to a review by John Frame at The Oscar Igloo, Ennis's last line is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    "I swear...
    Lots of complains that Ledger mumbled too much.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

What these completely mis-informed people didn't realize was that there was NO sex scenes (if I remember correctly)
    well there was the very brief sex scene on the altar in the church lol

the directors said they knew they were pushing the line with that scene, and they had to create the church, no church would allow them to film a sex scene on the altar lol

i really want to see this movie, but i dont know if its gonna come here, i might have to wait for dvd

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    According to a review by John Frame at The Oscar Igloo, Ennis's last line is ______ Lots of complains that Ledger mumbled too much.
    Tex: Thanks so much! But, now I have to wonder just what Ennis meant by that...

snickers: If it comes down to watching it on DVD, you won't be disappointed. One of my favorite films is THE PIANO, and I saw it 4 times in the theatre and own the DVD and love it just as much.

Like I said earlier, we've all seen mountains in films (LoTR's, anyone?), so the majestic "sweeping Rockies" are only the backdrop to the real story; it could just as easily have been shot on the plains of Nebraska.

Originally, I said I wanted to see this again, but will wait for the DVD; I was wrong. Sally and I enjoyed this film SO much, we're going back tonight, with our friend, Michele, so enjoy it again.

I'll plug your lost "last line" into the end, Tex!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Tex: Thanks so much! But, now I have to wonder just what Ennis meant by that...

Lambi - from the short story. I'll put it in spoilers so no one else that doesn't want to see it won't.

Click to see Spoiler:
    “Jack, I swear—” he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    This movie sounds awesome!!! Can't wait for it to come out on DVD. Thanks for the review cause I had NO clue about the plot or anything. I probably would've ended up missing out on a great 5 kleenex box movie (5 out of 5).
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Lambi, watch this again, and then message me with what you think Ennis means at the very end. I've not seen the movie, BUT I've read lots of discussions about the short story vs. the movie, including interpretations and character motivation, and I can give you some insight to what theories have been bandied about.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread