+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Living in the Bible Belt here, I am certain it won't make theaters here, so I am resigned to waiting until it comes out on Directv or DVD. The only person I know of that gave a bad review, ironically, is Ted Casablanca of E fame.
    It's showing here (Georgia) so maybe it will get to Charleston when it goes into wider release. I'm interested in seeing this too, but will probably wait until it's showing in more theatres; I don't really want to add seven or eight bucks for parking on top of the price of a movie nowadays!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    From what I've heard they are releasing it slowly, building demand with the great reviews. One way to make sure it comes to your area is to ask your local theater when (not if) it will be showing there. If they know there is an audience they won't be so afraid of being picked by the local homophobic groups worried that children will be influenced by the mere presence of a movie inside a theater they pass by. OK, maybe I'm being cynical, but I bet that thought goes through the theater owner's mind--is the $$ I bring in worth the aggravation I'm likely to get.
    It isn't in my suburb yet either, a supposedly "sophisticated" area.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Luckily it's playing here in Denver at my favorite Landmark theater - the Mayan. I hope to see it on wednesday.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom View Post
    Luckily it's playing here in Denver at my favorite Landmark theater - the Mayan. I hope to see it on wednesday.
    Let us know how it was... and how full the theater was!

I have been hearing rumors that West Virginia is refusing to show this movie... I hope it's just a rumor, or that Ohio and Kentucky have more sense than that.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana View Post
    I have been hearing rumors that West Virginia is refusing to show this movie... I hope it's just a rumor, or that Ohio and Kentucky have more sense than that.
    Wouldn't that be up to the individual theatre owner? Maybe the powers that be just don't think this movie would sell seats there. Still, I think a wait and see attitude is in order. Remember "Passion of the Christ"? I don't think nearly as many people would have gone to see it if it hadn't been for the limited release at first, and all the buzz generated about it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I saw Brokeback Mountain a few nights ago. It's absolutely nothing like I expected. I knew that it was a love story, and I knew it was about two men, and I knew they were cowboys, but that's really all anyone knows, unless they've read reviews, the short story or seen the movie. It's an excellent film. The performances are top notch, and it's very thought provoking. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but I'd highly recommend seeing it. Heath Ledger deserves all the attention he's currently getting for his performance. He is absolutely amazing. Jake Gyllenhaal is excellent as well, as is the rest of the cast. I'm probaly going to see it again. It's one of those movies that has a lot going on, even though very little is said, so in order to really catch everything, a second viewing is probably necessary.

Sally and I finally had a chance to see BROKEBACK at one of the only 4 cinemas playing it in Chicago.

Oh, what a sad film. Excellent, but sad, in the way of any love story where you want to shake the characters and scream at them, "Just move the f_k to San Francisco or The Keys!!!"

Matt64 is right: you can't really say anything about the film because to do so gives it away. No special effects to discuss; no locations or green screens, so to discuss the film gives away the plot.

Be aware: even though Heath is lauded as wonderful, I felt (as did Sally) that Jake did the far better job and also, Heath mumbled his lines so badly that no one we knew who was sitting next to us, could make out the final telling line of the film! Damn it!

If anyone else sees this, can you PM me and let me know just what Heath says?

Excellent film; would love to see it again, in my living room where I can just mope in silence, for it's a very thought provoking film.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Texi, the Kentucky Theater in Lexington has already announced they are going to show it. They haven't updated their calendar on their website yet, but keep an eye on it. They'll show it there eventually, even if it takes a few months. That's about the only place in Lexington where you can see movies outside the mainstream and its probably the closest place you'll find to Ashland that will show it.

http://www.kentuckytheater.com/frame.html
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thank you SG! My lawyer friend John thinks they'll show it locally in mid-January but I don't know where he got his info from.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread