+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokeback Mountain - 12/9

Living in the Bible Belt here, I am certain it won't make theaters here, so I am resigned to waiting until it comes out on Directv or DVD. The only person I know of that gave a bad review, ironically, is Ted Casablanca of E fame.
    Go Tigers!

My mother just emailed me this:

First a little background. Brokeback Mountain is using a strategy called "a platform release," where a film opens in a few theaters (five, in this case) to build buzz, and then rolls out gradually. The key number to watch in the early weeks is the per-theatre average. Anything above $10,000 is great for an arthouse pic, but to really blast off into the stratosphere, they are looking for $20-30,000. The biggest average ever for an indie pic was Syriana, with $74,900, just two weeks ago. (Which would be almost impossible without a major movie star.)

Exploding in platform release with one of the most spectacular grosses ever seen for a limited release bow was Ang Lee's cowboy love story Brokeback Mountain which debuted in only five cinemas but grossed an estimated $545,000 for a jaw-dropping $108,910 average per theater. The Heath Ledger-Jake Gyllenhaal drama has been showered with praise by critics and is already one of the top contenders for the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and other prestigious prizes. This weekend, it was selected by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association as the best picture of the year with Lee also winning the director's trophy.

Focus Features launched Brokeback Mountain in three New York sites plus solo houses in Los Angeles and San Francisco this weekend and will expand on Friday to approximately 60 theaters nationwide. The gradual roll out is common for acclaimed arthouse films that need word-of-mouth and awards buzz to spread before convincing moviegoers in other parts of the country to open their wallets. The R-rated film can solidify its early frontrunner status if it receives major kudos from the Broadcast Film Critics Association, the New York Film Critics Circle, the National Board of Review, and the Globes which all announce their nominees or winners over the next two days giving the industry a clearer picture of the best films of 2005.

http://blogs.salon.com/0001137/2005/12/10.html#a1786
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

The New Yorker recently posted a link to the short story that inspired this movie. I read it and found it much more touching and realistic than I expected when I first heard about the movie.

I'll post the link, if anyone is interested, but please be advised that the story itself is not necessarily PG-13.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/con...12fr_archive01
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer and ClosetNerd: What interesting links and posts you provided....THANK YOU!

Stargazer: Is the link to the Brokeback Mountain story "complete"? I wanted to read it, so I went to Barnes & Noble, but they were selling this 'pamphlet' of the book for an incredible TEN bucks, so I gave it a pass.

I don't want to begin reading the New York Times story if it's only a bit of the story.

I enjoy "love stories" that buck the myth of love. Ever since there have been people on the planet, people are falling in love, that "aren't supposed to", and that's never stopped them. You've either come from the wrong side of the mountain, the wrong clan, the wrong hair color, the wrong religion, the wrong income, the wrong side of the tracks, the wrong color or the wrong sex. Amazing, with all those "wrongs" people continue to find their soul mate and risk everything for it. I fall into THAT group, so I applaud movies like this that say "Love is love"....period.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    Stargazer: Is the link to the Brokeback Mountain story "complete"? I wanted to read it, so I went to Barnes & Noble, but they were selling this 'pamphlet' of the book for an incredible TEN bucks, so I gave it a pass.
    The story is a *short* story, all of 60 pages long...unless there's a movie based paperback release that fleshes it out, that's all you are going to get to read.

ETA: "Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay" by Proulx, Larry McMurtrey and Diana Ossana adds about 100 pages to the original short story...three essays and the screenplay.
    Last edited by Texicana; 12-13-2005 at 10:24 AM.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post

I don't want to begin reading the New York Times story if it's only a bit of the story.
    It appears to be complete, yes. I hadn't read it before, so if there are sections missing, I wouldn't know for sure, but it appears to be complete. It does tell the entire story.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    It appears to be complete, yes. I hadn't read it before, so if there are sections missing, I wouldn't know for sure, but it appears to be complete. It does tell the entire story.
    Yippie! I copied it to WORD, so that's my treat for tonight!

Thanks for the original posting and letting me know that it's complete. I didn't want to get into "fanfic" land where they post 3 chapters of a story and never...EVER...finish it or update it!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

This is still not being shown in the Ashland ky/Portsmouth OH/ Huntington WV area, dammit! I was hoping one of the old movie houses in Huntington would start showing it, but no go. We've got a friend who's a radio personality around here think it cute to call up some of our friends (all guys) if they'd go see the movie with him, on air, of course, for the hilarity of the homophobic comments that ensued I'm SO glad that my husband isn't so insecure as to be that way...he said he'd go see it with me as soon as it crops in a local cinema...I can't wait!

Well, you know what they say, Tex: "The difference between a Straight Guy and a Gay Guy is a 6 pak of beer." Sometimes, me thinks, men protest too much.

When friends of mine find out that I'm now "gay" (whatever) they openly tell me about their snog sessions with girls in bars. I have NO idea why, maybe they're trying to have something in common with me, but at least it shows you that women are far more open to experimentation (or admitting it) than most men are. Since I was married for 25 years to a m.a.n., I have nothing left to prove to either side.

(edited to say): I just got my Roger Ebert email and he gave the movie 's.
    Last edited by lambikins; 12-18-2005 at 07:12 PM.

I won't even bring myself to read the short story...but I hear Heath's portrayal of Ennis is Oscar caliber.

+ Reply to Thread