+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rent - 11/23

Rent - 11/23

PG-13 | 2 hr 15 mins | Musical, Urban, Drama

From Hollywood.com

In New York's East Village, a group of bohemians struggle to express themselves through their art and strive for success and acceptance while enduring the obstacles of poverty, illness and the AIDS epidemic.
    Roger is an aspiring songwriter who has emotionally shut down after his girlfriend's suicide. Despite his attraction, he is reluctant to start a new romance with his downstairs neighbor Mimi Marquez, an exotic dancer struggling with "baggage of her own."
    Roger's roommate Mark is a filmmaker trying to balance art and commerce. His girlfriend Maureen, a self-indulgent performance artist, recently left him for a lawyer named Joanne. Also part of this close-knit circle is Tom Collins, a professor of philosophy who, after being mugged, is rescued by his soul mate, a high-spirited street drummer, Angel Shunard. Benny, who alienated his friends after he married their landlord's daughter, has reneged on his promise to provide rent-free artist space to his bohemian friends.
    Once a close friend, he is now viewed as the enemy, threatening them with eviction.
    Chris Columbus Director

Cast
    Idina Menzel - Maureen Johnson
    Anthony Rapp - Mark Cohen
    Adam Pascal - Roger Davis
    Jesse L Martin -Tom Collins
    Taye Diggs - Benjamin Coffin III
    Rosario Dawson - Mimi Marquez
    Tracie Thoms - Joanne Jefferson
    Wilson Jermaine Heredia - Angel Dumott Schunard
    Aaron Lohr - Steve
    Jennifer Siebel -Alison Grey
    Matthew Dickens - Bohemian
    MacKenzie Firgens - April
    Wayne Wilcox - Gordon

I saw this today.

Now I must preface by this by saying that I am a RENThead. I saw the original NYC Cast, the orginal LA Cast, the original London cast and the list goes on. I was very concerned that I was not going to like this movie.

With that being said. I loved every second of it. A couple of things were cut, they will be on the DVD, that played a big part in the stage production. However the movie was excellent even with those few cuts.

I absoultely loved this movie and it was great to see Anthony and Adam singing together again.

I can't wait to see it again.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I mentioned this in another thread but I also thought I would not like the movie as I'm a RENThead but I was so surprised at how much I really liked that movie, I'm thinking of going back and seeing it again, which I rarely do.

I saw it last night. I saw the show twice when it came to San Francisco, and I fell in love. I was worried about how the story would be adapted to the big screen, especially with all the harsh reviews out there. Well, I found myself really liking it. There were a few moments where I tried very hard not to sob out loud, and times where I couldn't stop laughing. I'll probably go see it again.

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I adored this movie.

What I will someday use for my answering machine: "Speeeak."
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

At first I thought it was going to be stupid but I actually loved this movie, my cousin cried most of the movie. We're hoping we could see the play someday because if it's better than the movie it would be cool to see.

Wowzers...just came back from this movie and even though I'm not a RENThead, I may just become one after seeing this movie.

I. Loved. It.

The music was just fantastic along with the performers and like many others, I almost cried a couple of times (particularly during the funeral and the ending)...even "Seasons of Love" at the beginning almost made me lose it.

I would definitely see this movie again...and again...and again. It might even beat out my record of seeing a movie multiple times in the theatres (last time that happened was with "School of Rock" and saw that 3 times in the theatres).

And yes, "Speeeak"= greatest answering machine message ever.

Oh yes, and I admit my heart fluttered a few times over Adam Pascal/Roger.

Rent=

*hums "Seasons of Love" to herself*

There's onlyyyy us, there's only this, forget regret or life is yours to miss, no other road, no other way, no day but today.

I'm the little geek that is so excited that you all are enjoying this movie as much as I. I admit that I teared up during many scenes in the movie, and had to hurry and wipe my eyes before the lights came back on in the theater. Heck, I even cried when the entire cast was on The View on Friday. I'm a wuss. My cd has been playing nonstop since Wednesday.

Jen... Adam Pascal was also in "Aida" on Broadway, and that's where I first saw him (three times ). You'd have loved him in there... he looked quite buff and spent most of the production with his top off.

I thought Rosario Dawson did a wonderful job as Mimi. Loved her scenes at the Cat Scratch Club. When on The View she talked about being so excited about being in the movie, and so excited for those scenes that she literally threw herself into the dancing. She said that it only took a day to film the club scenes, but she had thrown herself so hard at the pole that she had a bruise larger than an orange on the inside of her thigh.. with the fishnet stocking impression embedded in it. Ouchie.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Okay. RentHead checking in. Saw it this morning and loved it. I was unsure about how I'd feel about Rosario as Mimi and she really was fantastic. There were a few things missing that I noticed, but it had to be done so they could adapt the story. I love when Roger sings to Mimi when she's dying, but for some reason didn't like the camera angle of Roger's face - weirded me out - but the singing was great.

The whole engagement party thing was new to me but I like how it was used.

It's funny that a lot of the dialogue was actually sung on the OBC CD so I knew what they were going to say! Jesse L. Martin was awesome.

La Vie Boheme scene was my favorite.

10 thumbs up - if I had 10 thumbs

Can't wait for the DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    I love when Roger sings to Mimi when she's dying, but for some reason didn't like the camera angle of Roger's face - weirded me out - but the singing was great.
    I understand what you mean there, marybeth. You know what took me aback with that scene? The crumbs on the table. I swear they're the same crumbs as when they had Angel's "Today for You" scene. Tsk tsk...filmed on the same day?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast