+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Friends 11/23

Just Friends 11/23

Ok, so I know this won't exactly be an oscar contending movie, but it was made in my hometown and since we definitely don't get that type of movie making exposure, it's kind of developped into our city's "movie pride"

From the official site http://www.justfriendsmovie.com/
    “The ‘friend zone’ is like the penalty box of dating, only you
    can never get out. Once a girl decides you’re her ‘friend,’, it’s
    game over. You’ve become a complete nonsexual entity in
    her eyes, like her brother, or a lamp.” Chris Brander

Chris Brander (Ryan Reynolds) has it all – money, good looks and a flashy job as an LA music executive. But things weren’t always this way…

In high school Chris was shy and overweight. The bright spot in his life was his friendship with Jamie Palamino (Amy Smart), the hottest girl in high school. The two best buds were inseparable. But Chris harbored a secret – he was hopelessly in love with Jamie. On the night of their graduation, Chris finally works up his courage and comes clean. A surprised Jamie tells Chris that she loves him too… like a brother. Then comes the dreaded “Just Friends” speech. Angry and humiliated, Chris storms off.

Ten years later, Chris has reinvented himself as a smooth talking lady killer, living large in Los Angeles. Chris’s boss, KC (Stephen Root), has just given him his most challenging assignment yet – turning spoiled diva Samantha James (Anna Faris) into a pop-singing sensation. Wrangling the high-maintenance singer, who also happens to be his ex, seems a hellish task. But Chris's nightmare is just beginning.

A plane malfunction, en route to Paris, causes Chris and Sam to make an unexpected pit-stop in New Jersey -- the first time Chris has been back home in 10 years. Chris drops in on his mom (Julie Hagerty) and smart-aleck brother, Mike (Christopher Marquette). Chris’ plans to leave town are detoured when he runs into Jamie at a local bar. Suddenly faced with the chance to “seal the deal” with the “just friends” girl of his dreams, Chris postpones Paris. This sets off a chain of events in which Chris tries to woo Jamie, all the while distracting the suspicious Samantha. Unbelievably, Chris is finding it more difficult to romance Jamie than it was 10 years ago.

The harder Chris tries, the further he slips into the ‘friend zone.’ .When Dusty Dinkleman, (Chris Klein) another ‘just friends’ guy from high school shows up, Chris’ fate seems doomed. Can he escape the ‘friend zone’? Is it possible to go from ‘just friend’ to boyfriend? Chris is about to find out the hard way…
    From hollywood.com

PG-13 | 1 hr 28 mins | Comedy, Romance, Romantic Comedy

Starring:
    Ryan Reynolds as Chris Brander
    Amy Smart as Jamie Palamino
    Anna Faris as Samantha James
    Christopher Marquette as Mike Brander
    Chris Klein as Dusty Dinkleman

Is anyone planning on seeing it?

It looks adorable- I cant wait!

we had a "red carpet" premier here of the canadian cast that was in it.

amy matysio has a fairly large role in that of Darla and she's from here. as are a slew of other actors/actresses.
    unfortunately, i haven't seen it yet, but i will be this friday

saw this movie on Saturday night. absolutely loved it. It was very funny.

FORT Regular
    Ryan Reynolds can do no wrong! i'm excited to see it.

Ryan Reynolds was GREAT. His scenes with Christopher Marquette and Anna Ferris in particular were so funny. (i like physical comedy though).

I think overall, it was A LOT better than the review Ebert gave it. If you've read MSN.com's review, that one was way more in line with my feelings. Also, Ryan was definitely an older, toned down Van Wilder, which suited this movie so well.

+ Reply to Thread