+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Worst Actors of Today

Michelle Rodreguz. Why oh why must I be subjected to watching her on Lost now
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    It is unfortunate that many of the stars we love, and who are really famous and well paid, aren't really good actors. Their personal charisma and celebrity often times outweigh their acting ability. Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston fall into this category, competent actors, just not really great actors. I still love them, but they aren't great actors. They may have flashes of greatness or become really good actors eventually, but mostly they just coast along with safe roles (playing the same character over and over). There are others who think that they are great actors (I'm looking at you Mr. Cruise) but aren't. I never find him believable. It's always "Tom Cruise as ..." The character is secondary to his celebrity.

I totally agree with you Chorita! So many celebrities are NOT good actors. They just happen to have the "now" look or appeal. Sylvester Stallone (remember him, anyone? ugh), Ben Affleck (nice to look at for some, but a disastrous actor), Tom Cruise ('nuff said ), Brad Pitt, Kevin Costner, Hugh Grant. I will concede that at times there are flashes of greatness from some, but the excellent actor is rarely a high-powered celebrity....in fact, the excellent actor is probably doing theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarcusWelby
    AAAAANnnnnd.... That is enough for me!!!!!
    I admit, I bought the Troy DVD just so I can watch Eric Bana again and again.

Hillary Duff, Paris Hilton, The Olsen Twins, Katie Holmes, Mel Gibson (sorry not a Gibson fan).

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd
    Michelle Rodreguz. Why oh why must I be subjected to watching her on Lost now
    I agree with this one, I just don't like her one bit

Quote Originally Posted by LiVvV
    Hillary Duff, Paris Hilton, The Olsen Twins, Katie Holmes, Mel Gibson (sorry not a Gibson fan).
    Oh yes. Katie Holmes has got to be near the bottom of the barrel. The lastest Batman film was great, and yet her few minutes in it almost ruined it.

Let me add Jennifer Love Hewitt. If you've seen her current CBS show you'll know how bad she is.

The Olsens are boring at worst--I don't think it's actually "badness". The same for Le Duff--she's basically been playing the same role over and over again whether she's the good girl or the bad one (never that bad, of course, I think she's played "bitchy" but never "sexy").

Conversely Lindsey Lohan actually looks like--in theory--she could act. She just chooses to NOT do so and stars in crap like that Herbie film instead.

In the male department, let me nominate David Caruso. I had to suffer through watching a CSI: Miami recently and MAN does he stink on ice. It's all so overdone with him.

A few posts back someone nominated Sylvester Stallone. I can't agree. Stallone was a genuinely good actor who got so wrapped up in making money that he abandoned his craft. He's got at least 3 films (Nighthawks, Rocky and later on... Copland) where he's a genuine joy to watch. But the rest of his career? A pursuit of money.

Tom Cruise has been mentioned. I agree--he stinks like rotting garbage. Again, it's a case of playing variants of the same thing over and over again. He never really gets "in" to a character.

Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were all mentioned along with Mr. Cruise before. I actually think that all three of them have put in better performances than Mr. Cruise. Erin Brokovich, for example, WAS a very good performance. But was it GREAT? I don't know. Pitt's been effective in many films, but he's also had so many stinker and color-by-number roles. Aniston has spent so much time in comedy that people don't notice the good independant film performances she's had on the side. So I almost can't group her with the other two.

Tobey Maguire has been brought up. Ideally, I think he was aimed at a kind of modern-day "everyman" Jimmy Stewart career at one point. Look at him in movies like Pleasantville or Cider House Rules and that's what he comes off as--an everyman type. The problem is that in modern times this kind of gets tiring--we don't have the patience for it anymore.

Oh... Sean Penn = oveerrated.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, thanks for adding the ubiquitous Lindsey! Livv must have left her out by accident! But I have to respectfully disagree with Mya about Jack Nicholson- did you see "The Shining" Mya? To me that movie sealed the deal. Also, way before her time, probably, but "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" was an amazing performance!
    Go Tigers!

Actually, Jack was good just last year in that "About Schmidt" film.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Jennifer Lopaz, she ruins every movie she is in.

Tom Cruise, I have liked a couple movies he was in but it was in spite of him, not because of him.

Melinie Griffith (Griffen) hate her so much I can't recall her name.

Micheal Douglas. made a couple good movies in the past but most of the time he seems out of place.

Julia Roberts, I have never seen what people see in her.

Ben Afflick, I have hated everything I've seen him in.

Terri Hatcher. I don't think she can act.

Pamela Anderson. What has that woman done to herself. She looks down right scary.

The teenage girls you see all over the place, I don't really consider actors. I used to enjoy Lindsey Lohen in movies but now she is just another dieting blonde teen.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Ben Affleck
    Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Eva Longoria
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread