+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Worst Actors of Today

Kao
    I like Tom in supporting roles, not ones where he carries the whole film. Tom in Magnolia and Collateral were Awesome Toms. MI and other "leading man" Tom roles just aren't. It seems like he puts more into his supporting roles and becomes someone else other than Tom, whereas in his starring roles his just...coasts by on Tom-Ness.

In the case of Lindsey Lohan, I think there's some talent there but it's being overshadowed by her personal life and choices of roles. Red-headed Lindsey rocked with Parent Trap and Mean Girls. She can rock again, but unfortunately, she's probably going to be put in the Tara Reid catergory really soon if she's not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvibe View Post
    Actually, momof2dogs, Robin Williams has more range than you give him credit for. Have you seen One Hour Photo? I would agree with the list of the others, however. We may not like there acting but we remember there names. Probably because they are sexy. I think little old Leo from Titanic and the Beach couldn't act his way out of his dressing room, and Tom Cruise really sucks. The folks who can really act are the folks we forget. What's that guys name? Where did I see her before? I like it when Judith Dentch isn't in a film. She's in everything these days. Especially English films. By the time it takes to post this and have my breakfast--oops another 10 films! How does she do it? Kind of spooky-like she's got a deal with the Devil.
    Well, there are different types of actors... and only some of them actually "act." All of them are part of telling stories, but some simply play themselves really well on film (AKA Michael J. Fox) or at least are extremely likable to many people. Even an actor of limited ability can do an excellent job when appropriately cast for a role.

I think Cruise does have some range to him; I don't like HIM much, to be honest, but I think he's worked hard for what he has, and he's stretched himself a lot more than many people would have in his position of popularity. (If I've got gripes with him, I've got them with his off-set character.)

But I wouldn't put him in the same range as Dentch, or Anthony Hopkins, or Jodie Foster, Liam Neeson, William Hurt, Kirsten Dunst, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, or a host of others who simply seem to have acting ability in their blood and live and breathe their roles.

Julian Roberts is another star in a similar position, who has good acting ability despite her being "popular" and attractive.

I'd agree that Robin Williams has improved tremendously as an actor, as he has aged and learned restraint to help guide his powerful imagination and wit. He has done some excellent work since those dog years of "Mork and Mindy." One Hour Photo was definitely a big role for him, at least in terms of showing how his skill has developed over the years.

Heck, even Jim Carrey has taken a turn towards gold with "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (he did EXCELLENT work there, playing someone virtually his opposite) and we ALL know how "bad" an actor he originally was, even if he can be incredibly funny.

Will Farrel. Have yet to see a movie of his that makes me laugh. And I have rented them all. I loved him on SNL however.

But I wouldn't put him in the same range as Dentch, or Anthony Hopkins, or Jodie Foster, Liam Neeson, William Hurt, Kirsten Dunst, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, or a host of others who simply seem to have acting ability in their blood and live and breathe their roles.
    i agree with that list except for kirsten dunst, to me her only good role was in interview with a vampire, ever since then all i've seen from her is teeny bopper movies and chick flicks, she could do so much better

sometimes i think she should have just stayed a child actor and that be it, at least she'd be remembered for being a good actress, i thought she was terrible in spiderman, i dont feel MJ at all

Julia Stiles... I just can't stand her in so many movies. Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew McCaugnahey(pardon the spelling, I know its wrong).

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dhvibe View Post
    I think little old Leo from Titanic and the Beach couldn't act his way out of his dressing room, and Tom Cruise really sucks. The folks who can really act are the folks we forget. What's that guys name? .
    But have you seen Leo in Gilbert Grape? He was really good in that. And he did what was required in Titanic... made you believe Kate Winslet would fall for a guy about half her size (and that's not a slam at Kate).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213