+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pride and Prejudice - 11/11

Pride and Prejudice - 11/11

PG | 2 hr 7 mins | Romance, Remake, Period, Adaptation

From Hollywood.com
    The classic tale of love and values unfolds in the class-conscious England of the late 18th century. The five Bennet sisters--including strong-willed Elizabeth and young Lydia--have all been raised by their mother with one purpose in life: finding a husband. When a wealthy bachelor takes up residence in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are abuzz. Amongst the man's sophisticated circle of friends, surely there will be no shortage of suitors for the Bennet sisters. But when Elizabeth meets up with the handsome and--it would seem--snobbish Mr. Darcy, the battle of the sexes is joined.
    Theatrical Release
    11/11/2005

Cast
    Keira Knightley -Elizabeth Bennet
    Matthew MacFadyen - Mr. Darcy
    Rosamund Pike - Jane Bennet
    Jena Malone - Lydia Bennet
    Donald Sutherland - Mr. Bennet
    Brenda Blethyn - Mrs. Bennet
    Judi Dench - Lady Catherine de Bourg
    Penelope Wilton - Mrs Gardiner
    Tom Hollander - William Collins

This is my favorite mini-series (see avatar). I love the story, so I am really looking forward to seeing the movie. I am going to approach it with an open mind, because I just canít imagine someone else playing the role of Mr. Darcy. To me, Colin Firth was and will always be Mr. Darcy.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    This is my favorite mini-series (see avatar). I love the story, so I am really looking forward to seeing the movie. I am going to approach it with an open mind, because I just can’t imagine someone else playing the role of Mr. Darcy. To me, Colin Firth was and will always be Mr. Darcy.
    Thank you for giving this movie a chance (I know a lot of people who haven't/won't). It's honestly a great movie with lots of emotions and I thought Keira has never been better in anything. It's quite faithful to the book even with its limitations and it was an absolute joy to watch.

I think I will have to wait for this one on DVD. Colin Firth just can't be replaced for me.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

With the BBC mini series so fresh in everyone's memory, this seems like an odd remake. From what I've heard, it's not an altogether successful one. My sister saw it a few weeks ago and was very unimpressed. I can see why: the movie is only about two hours and it seems impossible to me to make sense out of all the plot points in such a short amount of time. Also, Keira Knightley as Lizzie seems.. wrong. Too young, too pretty, too Keira Knightley. And you're right, JLuvs, Colin Firth can't be replaced.

Having said all that, I'm sooo going to see it. I have an undying love for anything Jane Austen.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

giz
    I'm suprised too, that they would redo it so soon. Well, I'll keep an open mind, and I love costume dramas (never enough costume dramas), but A) Colin Firth! and B) Keira Knightley seems a little too soft, I can't see her having Elizabeth Bennett's common sense approach. Keira is too cute, very nice and all that, but not quite right. Maybe she pulls it off though, we'll see. Thanks for letting us know, Fluff.

CCL
    I like Matthew McFayden (sp?) who plays Darcy. I think Keira Knightley will make an okay Lizzie (Some might say she is in the tradition of "Oh, look at the pretty girl play a plain girl." But I'm not going to detract from her talent just because she is/might be (or so some think) too pretty for the part). I like that the characters are younger (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle always seemed a bit too old for the roles. I still loved them, though). It's been about 10 years or so since the BBC version so there has been some time between versions. Compare that to other movies where there is 2 movies about the same thing in one season (ie there's 2 movies about Capote coming out very soon, Deep Impact came out the same time as Armageddon. On the Austen front, there was a tv version of Emma (with Kate Beckinsale) out the same time as the movie version with Gwyneth Paltrow). Oh, and the Indian-inspired Bride & Prejudice came out last year so, if anything, we've already had a new version of P & P.
    Hm, this has been a very disjointed post. Sorry. Anyways, to summarize, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I love the BBC version, but I think it is possible to have another (equally ?) good film version of the same story. I'll have to wait and see how this film actually compares (in the watching) to the BBC version.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    CCL, thanks for reminding me about Bride and Prejudice, I've got to rent that ASAP. You're right about the ages of Firth and Ehle, but Colin Firth is just so right, ... sigh. I am insensible on the topic of Colin Firth. For me, I hope Keira Knightley does well, in saying she's cute, I meant in nature (though of course she is beautiful). She just seems quite soft bunny-rabbit, but I'm hoping she suprises me. I've only seen her in Bend it Like Beckham, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Love Actually. I think Matthew MacFayden will do well as Darcy, its just my Colin Firth crush blinding me.

CCL
    I liked Bride & Prejudice, giz. The Darcy guy was not a patch on Colin Firth, though. I did quite like Aishwarya Roi however. And, for those who are swayed by such things,, Naveen Andrews (Sayid from Lost) plays the Bingley character and Alexis Bledel (Rory from Gilmore Girls) plays Darcy's sister. I was all "Rory & Sayid. In a movie together!" How sad of me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    I like Naveen Andrews, very handsome! I'd love to see it, great story line, great visuals, Ashwarya Rai, what more could you want?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast