+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pride and Prejudice - 11/11

i can't see anyone else but colin firth as Darcy either, but there is at least one almost raving review about the movie http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.c...s/1339126.armx

Truth in Pride
    Angela Baldassarre
    Pride & Prejudice (4 out of 5 stars)
    Starring Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen. Directed by Joe Wright.

I don’t have enough fingers to count how many different renditions of Jane Austen’s “Pride & Prejudice” I’ve seen. And though most are good, particularly the PBS miniseries starring Colin Firth, none are as convincing and realistic as Joe Wright’s “Pride & Prejudice.” Whenever I have watched a film set in the 18th century, I used to gawk at how flawless the women’s skin would be, and at how “clean” all the clothes were considering the conditions of the time.

Wright, who showcased his knack for British realism in the miniseries “Charles II: The Power and the Passion,” makes sure we see the rotten teeth, the stained outfits, the dirty hair, the sweaty armpits; all things that were amply present even in the richest households. From the opening sequence where the Bennett sisters are swirling around the market-place in their soiled-tip skirts, while second-eldest daughter Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) introduces us to the modest household through one long steady-cam shot, we’re transported into the reality of the time. It’s a time when clean water was a commodity, furniture was dusty, and people lived in their clothes until the stench became unbearable.

Mother (Brenda Blethyn) can barely control her flirty younger daughter Lydia (Jena Malone), but is very proud of Jane (Rosamund Pike), her beautiful first born. The topic of gossip is the arrival in town by the wealthy Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods), who Mrs. Bennett insists is perfect for her Jane. At the town ball, Bingley, his gorgeous sister Caroline (Kelly Reilly) and snotty friend Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen) stand out in their refined clothes amongst the townsfolk in their rumpled shirts and pants. But this doesn’t stop Bingley from falling for the lovely Jane, and Darcy noticing the very lovely and outspoken Elizabeth.

Austen’s tale of Darcy’s complex courtship of Elizabeth is well known, but in “Pride & Prejudice” screenwriter Deborah Moggach conveys the youthfulness of the characters in a manner not seen in other renditions. The actors here are all age-appropriate to the book — Knightley is 20 — and their interpretations are credible and understandable. When Lydia runs off with the first cad she meets, it doesn’t come as a surprise since throughout the film her attitude has been capricious and self-absorbed, like any indulgent teenager of her day. And though Elizabeth is very smart for a peer, Knightley plays her with the appropriate arrogance and know-it-all of a person who reacts before thinking, especially when it comes to love. But the subsequent vulnerability and humility comes through profoundly convincingly.

Kudos to Wright for pitting together such well-honed classical thesps such as Blethyn, MacFadyen, Donald Sutherland (as the Bennett patriarch) and Judi Dench (as Lady Catherine de Bourg) against the young and fresh Knightley, Malone, and Pike. The contrast is refreshing and adds rich texture to every sequence.

This “Pride & Prejudice” is like no other. It’s a must-see.
    i think i'll go see it for sure.

It is a must see! This movie has gotten quite a few good reviews and some of them are touting Knightley an Oscar nom. I've watched it a couple of times, and it gets better every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930 View Post
    Put me on the list of those who can't see anyone but Colin Firth as Darcy. But I'll probably go see the movie anyway - even with my misgivings about Kiera as well.
    I have seen the BBC version many times and have every episode on tape in my "to be saved forever and watched over and over" file. Colin Firth was Darcy, so I was hesitant about the new movie. But I went to see it anyway. My review:

It was wonderful - very lush, romantic, and with a sensual beauty. The setting was more realistic to the period than the BBC version and the casting was great. Keira Knightly was surprisingly good as Elizabeth and didn't seem too young (Lizzie is supposed to be 21 or 22). While she was almost too pretty, they cast the part of Jane with a new actress of such luminous beauty that Keira did seem somewhat plain next to her. Donald Sutherland was just okay as Mr. Bennett and Brenda Blythen was great as the mom - much better than the BBC mom whose voice drove me nuts. Bingley was much better looking than the BBC guy, and his sister really looked like she could be his sister.

Now to Darcy: Matthew MacFayden was Tom on the A & E series MI-5 and played a burned officer in Enigma. He is very tall and well built. Where Colin Firth is elegant and sophisticated in the role, MacFayden is large and imposing. They are nothing alike. And . . that was a good thing. You could never confuse the two. So I watched it as if I was seeing a different Pride and Prejudice and was able not to compare them. What I saw between this Lizzie and Darcy was more romantic and sensual, the chemistry between them was terrific and believable. Quite frankly - I loved this movie!

One last comment: I thought the actor who portrayed Wickam on the BBC/PBS version was just average looking, but the guy in this movie is a hunk so it is understandable why so many women were attracted to him.
    Last edited by aname; 11-28-2005 at 05:01 PM.

CCL
    Rosamund Pike played Jane. She's been around for a little bit - she was a Bond girl! She's very pretty in a classical way - she reminded me a lot of the singer Dido when I was watching the movie.
    I liked the movie a lot. I liked that Darcy and Lizzie were younger, because Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle always seemed a bit too old to me (though I still liked them in their version of P & P, of course). Matthew McFayden was lovely and I liked Keira quite a bit. I also thought Donald Sutherland was great - the scene where he takes the crying Mary into his arms at the ball was lovely. It is such a throwaway little piece (the camera moves past them, just catching a fragment) but it was so sweet.
    I adored the clothes in the movie, particularly Keira's wardrobe. The settings seemed more "dirty" than I remember it being in the miniseries - more true to the time period, I guess - with the muddy fields and broken-up railings etc. The scene where Lizzy is standing on the hillside in the Lake District - the view was breathaking!
    So, thumbs up for me!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Rosamund Pike played Jane. She's been around for a little bit - she was a Bond girl! She's very pretty in a classical way - she reminded me a lot of the singer Dido when I was watching the movie.
    I thought she was the spitting image of Laura Dern.. just a bit more beautiful.

I adored the clothes in the movie, particularly Keira's wardrobe. The settings seemed more "dirty" than I remember it being in the miniseries - more true to the time period, I guess - with the muddy fields and broken-up railings etc. The scene where Lizzy is standing on the hillside in the Lake District - the view was breathaking!
    So, thumbs up for me!
    Thumbs up for me, too! I just saw this tonight and loved it. I had a giant lump in my heart and throat by the time Lizzy and Darcy finally get together at the end.... it was incredibly heartwrenching and torturous.

The cinemetography and direction was stunning. CCL, my friend and were in awe of the scene where Lizzy is standing on the jutting rock on the hillside as well. Beautiful.. simply beautiful. And some of the camera angles, and shot transitions were stunning.

And we also commented on Kiera's clothing and wished we could wear them... but both of us are a little too amply endowed to appear in public in the low-cut empire waist styles.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Such great feedback! I really need to get a sitter and go see this movie. One of my favorite books!

I never read the book or saw the movie, but how many siblings does Elizabeth have?

Quote Originally Posted by ANTMFreak View Post
    I never read the book or saw the movie, but how many siblings does Elizabeth have?
    Four. Jane, Mary, Lydia, and Kitty. The tension in the Bennett household revolves around the fact that when Mr. Bennett the father dies, his land and the money that goes with it passes to the nearest male heir which would leave Mrs. Bennett and the daughters poor as church mice. As a result, Mrs. Bennett is set on marrying her daughters off.

FORT Fanatic
    MuchMusic VJ Sarah Taylor said the movie was BORING.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityTV1224 View Post
    MuchMusic VJ Sarah Taylor said the movie was BORING.
    Lol, that's funny. Muchmusic is targeted at a different audience than the movie. And besides, I wouldn't believe what others say. Judge for yourself, instead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast