+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pride and Prejudice - 11/11

Rory and Sayid in a movie together? How could I have missed this?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL
    I know, geekthegirl! I even had it in my signature tag for a while: Bride & Prejudice: Where Rory got Lost and met Sayid. I'm sad. I don't recall them even having scenes together, actually. But, still.

Speaking of Naveen Andrews - there is a great scene in the film where he is doing an Indian dance. The man can move!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    Colin Firth is just so right, ... sigh. I am insensible on the topic of Colin Firth. I think Matthew MacFayden will do well as Darcy, its just my Colin Firth crush blinding me.
    giz - I'll fight you for him.

In all the times I read Pride and Prejudice , I never really "got" the appeal of Darcy. Sure, I liked the character, and I enjoyed the plot, but Darcy didn't melt my socks off the way he seemed to for some others. Then came the BBC version, and Colin Firth made it all clear for me. And any other Darcy will just seem redundant.

Agree that Jennifer Ehle was a little old for Lizzie, but after all isn't the girl supposed to be in her mid-20's? Starting to be "a little long on the shelf" for those times? Keira Knightley is cute but way too young.
    "if at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence that you ever tried" - The Office

FORT Regular
    I love Jena Malone... I keep waiting for her to headline in something, because she blows away her competition time and time again!!!

FORT Fan
    Put me on the list of those who can't see anyone but Colin Firth as Darcy. But I'll probably go see the movie anyway - even with my misgivings about Kiera as well.

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    giz - I'll fight you for him.
    Well, let's see. On your side, you've got the avatar.
    On my side, my husband and he (and Hugh Grant!) share a birthday, And he lived in my province for a long time. Hmm, maybe we'll have to share.

My wife, like many of you, is insane for the bbc mini series and Firth's Mr. Darcy. We saw the new movie when we were in Ireland this September. The Darcy in this one may not make you forget Firth, but he does a credible job. Knightley is strong, maybe a little more beautiful than the role calls for, but she's plucky. Donald Sutherland is great as Mr. Bennet, a little under stated compared to the (also great) performance in the series. The look of the movie is very rich. Because of the limited time, scenes are moved around, combined or left out, but all in all, they do a pretty good job. I think you Austen fans will enjoy seeing it, even if its not exactly the film you would make.
    meh...

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuhippie
    Because of the limited time, scenes are moved around, combined or left out, but all in all, they do a pretty good job. I think you Austen fans will enjoy seeing it, even if its not exactly the film you would make.
    Besides loving the A&E miniseries, I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the 1940, uber-condensed, Laurence Olivier version. I don't think the squishing and compacting is going to bother me. Squish away! If the remnants of a strong plot exist, and they can make it work, I'm on it. I'll accept it as a "new" piece, even though I normally hate the way books tend to be adapted for the screen. A beautiful exception: Sense and Sensibility - screenplay by Emma Thompson. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Thanks for the review, kung fu (and hey, that rhymes. ) I popped in this thread just to see if anyone had seen it yet.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Besides loving the A&E miniseries, I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the 1940, uber-condensed, Laurence Olivier version. I don't think the squishing and compacting is going to bother me. Squish away! If the remnants of a strong plot exist, and they can make it work, I'm on it. I'll accept it as a "new" piece, even though I normally hate the way books tend to be adapted for the screen. A beautiful exception: Sense and Sensibility - screenplay by Emma Thompson. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Thanks for the review, kung fu (and hey, that rhymes. ) I popped in this thread just to see if anyone had seen it yet.
    I loved the 1940 version, too. I usually do not like squishing and compacting of classics.

By the time I saw the movie, I had read the book more than a few times and Olivier fit my perception of Darcy perfectly. Greer Garson was perfect as Elizabeth and Edna May Oliver was, as always, unmatchable. I think Judi Dench is one of the most talented actresses of our time, but even she will have a hard time matching Dame Edna.

I'm sure I will rent the new one and I will give it a chance, but it's got a very long way to go for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast