+ Reply to Thread

Thread: actor Charles Rocket commits suicide

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

actor Charles Rocket commits suicide

da news link

US actor Charles Rocket commits suicide
    Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:27 PM ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - Actor Charles Rocket, whose unscripted profanity on "Saturday Night Live" in 1981 cost him his network television job, has committed suicide by cutting his throat, police said on Monday.

Rocket, 56, was found dead behind his Connecticut residence on October 7 with his throat slashed, said Connecticut State Police Sgt. J. Paul Vance.

"There was no criminal aspect to this case. The post-mortem showed he had committed suicide by cutting his throat with a knife," Vance said.

Rocket, whose real name was Charles Claverie, was a cast member of NBC's late-night comedy show, "Saturday Night Live," during the 1980-81 season.

He lost his job after he appeared in a parody of the U.S. television show "Dallas" and its famous "Who Shot J.R.?" episode.

After Rocket's character was shot, he uttered the obscenity while saying he'd like to know who did it. Viewers complained and NBC issued an apology.

Rocket, fellow cast members Gilbert Gottfried and Ann Risley, and four of the show's writers were then dismissed.

His movie credits included "Earth Girls are Easy," "How I Got Into College," "Dumb & Dumber" and "Dances With Wolves." He also played a role in the 1980s television series "Max Headroom" and provided voices for several cartoon characters.

Rocket is survived by his wife, Beth, and son, Zane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

He cut his own throat???!!!!! man that takes all kinds of nerve, sends chills up my spine just thinking of that.

ugh! ouch.... While I never understood suicide, This just creeps me out.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

LG.
    I think he played Bruce Willis / David Addison's brother on an episode or two of Moonlighting back in the day. This is very sad. He must have been clinically depressed to be able to do this.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Newbie
    I feel really sorry for the loved one he left behind.... May he rest in peace.

They might actually check whatever prescription pills he had taken recently - many of them now actually have 'suicidal thoughts' as a side effect! (not just psychiatric pills, either) It is something not usually thought of.

Isnt this also the guy who was on Touched By an Angel? He played an angel of death, along with Andrew, in a few episodes.

+ Reply to Thread