+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elizabethtown

I finally saw this movie tonight. What a horrible film!

I was interested in it since I have been to Elizabethtown approximately 5,000 times in my life (give or take a few hundred ) and I wanted to see how they portrayed it. What a mess. I can't even believe what a mess it is, or put it into words properly.

Kirsten Dunst is the absolute worst thing about this movie, and her ATROCIOUSLY bad accent just goes in and out the whole time.

Two good things about it...the guy who plays cousin Jessie, and the soundtrack. The music is excellent, but so wasted in this crap movie.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I finally saw this movie tonight. What a horrible film!

I was interested in it since I have been to Elizabethtown approximately 5,000 times in my life (give or take a few hundred ) and I wanted to see how they portrayed it. What a mess. I can't even believe what a mess it is, or put it into words properly.

Kirsten Dunst is the absolute worst thing about this movie, and her ATROCIOUSLY bad accent just goes in and out the whole time.

Two good things about it...the guy who plays cousin Jessie, and the soundtrack. The music is excellent, but so wasted in this crap movie.
    Its interesting to see another Kentuckians viewpoint on this, suncat. I was really torn over the movie. I felt like it could have been really good, but it needed to be cleaned up considerably and Kirsten Dunst needed to be replaced (and I usually like her). Her accent was horrible and distracting. She should have just done the part straight if that's the best she could do with it. :nono

I've been to E-town many times as well, and almost turned the movie off during the scene when he first arrives in town. It's not a small enough town that all the local kids are going to stop playing stickball in the street () so that they can point the way for you. They aren't all immediately going to know who a stranger is and where they are headed. It's a sizable town.

However, there are moments that made the movie interesting for me. When they refuse to acknowledge this intentions to cremate his dad, I lgiggled to myself. We cremated my own dad and its an accurate portrayal of how people feel about it around here. I also liked the scenes where there were dozens and dozens of people around and they were all talking at once. That was very realistic of the area as well.

It was also cool to see some of the Kentucky "touches". The Ale-8 shirt, the Maker's Mark bottles, the scene where she tries to teach him how to say, "Louisville".

Overall, though, I don't think most people will enjoy this movie as a whole. It's good in parts, but not enough to save it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, you're so, SO very right about that opening scene. My first thoughts were, "what is this, Elizabethtown the Twilight Zone version?" because it's just not like that. I live 45 miles from Elizabethtown. I have been all over it, spent lots of time in it...that's just NOT the way it is.

I hated the scene where she tries to teach him to say "Louisville" because her accent SUCKS so much. I lived in Louisville for 15 years, she did NOT get it right, it sounds so forced....just like someone trying to fake an accent, which is what she was doing. I'm with you, why not just do it in her regular voice (since not EVERYONE in KY has an accent) and be done with it.

I noticed the Ale-8, Maker's Mark, etc stuff. It still didn't make it "KY" for me. They should have plastered some UK stuff here and there, as THAT is KY. Outside of Louisville, it's WILDCAT country. You can't go ten feet without seeing a UK shirt/hat/bumper sticker. Heck, that's in Louisville, too. What about some Double Cola signs or Ski placement, too?

And a big huge MEH to the whole Freebird/funeral thing. Whatever.

A couple of times the sounds of the bugs drowning out everything else was pretty accurate. Twilight in summer those bug sounds can get LOUD.

Sorry, I'll quit complaining about this crapfest. I wish I had my $4 back for the pay-per-view (though technically I don't have the bill yet.)

Premium Member
    I haven't seen it yet but I want to because I love that they cast Paula Deen as the aunt or whatever she is. I love Paula Deen y'all.

Paula Deen was just fine in it. And her accent was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    Paula Deen was just fine in it. And her accent was perfect.
    Yeah, imagine that.

You're right that they should have put UK stuff in it. I was just up in Louisville the other day and it kept shocking me whenever I saw Louisville Cardinal stuff. There was still more UK stuff, though, even there.

This is the kind of movie you might watch with someone that had never been to Kentucky before, just so you could point out scenery and background stuff like the bugs. I think there could have been an interesting story going on and even a touching love angle, but I just think the meandering plot and Kirsten Dunst killed it. You had to believe that the girl was so amazing that she pulled him back from the brink of suicide. Um..no. That didn't happen. They didn't have the chemistry required to sell the amazing connection they were supposed to have.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I know that it was initally about 35 mins longer and that it was cut down. For some reason I don't the extra time would have made you like it any more though as Drew told me the edited version was much better. I still love it though
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I mostly liked this film. It did drag at times and was a bit long but overall I liked it.

Since I've never been to Elizabethtown I was able to watch it without preconception. But I understand the point that those who have been there or live there are making. When a movie uses a real town, anyone associated with that town is going to be more watchful to see if it's accurate. My city has had movies filmed in it but not always used it's name as the location. Some of "Forces of Nature" was filmed here and they did use the city name but they changed around some stuff that wasn't real. The backdrops were real but the restaurants or bus station weren't real.

I don't know why movies don't portray cities accurately if they're going to use the name. Why not just make up the city name? If it's a big city like NY or Philly or something, I can understand making up a suburb that isn't real but when it's a small sized city or town, they should at least try their best to portray it as accurately as possible.

MRD
    LOVED this movie, but they stole my funeral song. I have told my family for years that I want Freebird played at my funeral. But not like THAT. No flaming birds flying over! LOL!

My daughter has decided that I need to make her a map/scrapbook/CD collection so that she can take me and her dad on a roadtrip when we die. We want to be cremated too. And she is going to spread us all around the state of Florida and the rest of the South.

It's funny, but we had a lot of talk about our final plans because our best friend died in March and because of what he wanted (non-traditional) and I want a non-traditional funeral, this movie also provoked a lot of talk in our family about our wishes. Which I guess is good because you never know. My friend was only 39.

I watched this movie twice and was thouroughly entertained both times.

Now all those people in the house and all that food. THAT is definetly a southern funeral. Everyone comes over with tons of food.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Newbie
    I've been wanting to see this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12