+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodnight, and Good Luck, 10/7

Goodnight, and Good Luck, 10/7

SYNOPSIS

In the mid-1950's Edward R. Murrow and his producer, Fred Friendly, help bring an end to the tyranny of the blacklist and the House Un-American Activities Committee's anti-Communist hearings. With the platform provided by his CBS News program "See It Now," Murrow challenges Joseph McCarthy on his claims that hundreds of avowed Communists are working covertly as Soviet spies in the U.S. government, among other allegations, and that they have the power to destroy lives and careers.

CAST & CREW
    George Clooney, David Strathairn, Robert Downey
    Directed by George Clooney

MPAA RATING
    PG, for mild thematic elements and brief language.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good.../showtimes.php

I've read great reviews of this, and a friend saw it and loved it. I can't wait to see it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

What an odd coincidence. I just a trailer five minutes ago on television. It's the first time I've heard about it, but I'm interested. (Did I see that right? Directed by George Clooney?)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I've read great reviews of this, and a friend saw it and loved it. I can't wait to see it.
    I've been dying to see this. I think Clooney is a really sharp guy, for one thing. He not only directed and produced it, he also co-wrote it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I just saw this. Excellent! It's almost like a one-hour HBO special, but it sooooo reflects the current political climate of intimidation and fear. And George Clooney's just a babe.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

This one is at the top of my must see list. I've heard that David Strathairn gives a superb performance, as he often does.

I saw it this afternoon and it was great. Just the right length and gripping. The black and white, the music, and the ever present cigarette smoke really evoke the '50s. The parallels to today's political climate are hard to miss and scary. David Straitharn does give a great performance as do the rest of the actors.

I wonder what would happen to Murrow today. He'd probably be accused of pushing a liberal agenda and forced to resign.
    Also, I finally saw The Human Stain. Excellent! For all you Ed Harris fans, his part is relatively small but, man, he was incredible!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

I finally saw this. Awesome movie, very intense. It's really interesting how the themes of the movie -- un-Americanism, the state of journalism -- are still so relevant today. I *highly* recommend this.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Fort Member
    Saw this yesterday afternoon and while its not my type of movie ( I usually see movies I can escape into and try to avoid real stories especially if i know the outcome) it was my husbands choice and I really liked it, throughly recommend it.

I saw this film with Sally, in early January, and after weeks of thinking about it, I'm still on the fence. I liked it...yet I didn't.

I grew up during the McCarthy Years and being that he was a senator from our neighboring state, Wisconsin, he was still referred to often in conversations.

I felt that the mood and characterization was phenominal, with cudos to George Clooney and David Strathairn. Again, growing up during those years, they nailed the look, feel and omnipresent cigarettes that embodied that time.

However, what I do find exception to, is how I never got the true feeling of mass persecution that McCarthy visited on his victims. Sally, who knew absolutely NOTHING about McCarthyism, didn't see "what the big deal was", concerning McCarthy. This is disturbing. I'm guessing that the producers wished to document and show an ugly, ugly time in American history and use it to parallel the "Cry Wolf" attitude we have now, seeing terrorists behind every bush. But, if the uninitiated can't get the point of the film, then "who" is the film directed at? The ones who remember? The ones who've heard of it but need it fleshed out? I don't know.

I found it interesting that the two or three cases that they used of McCarthy persecuting people were of "common folks". Sally's take on this, after I explained what happened in the 50's and it's horrendous after effects, was "maybe the producers wanted to show that McCarthy could target anyone." However, she didn't come up with this conclusion by herself, since I had to explain to her that famous people such as Charlie Chaplin, Aaron Copland, Dashiell Hammet, Authur Miller and J. Robert Oppenheimer had their lives and reputations ruined, for years after the trials. The way she first viewed the movie was that there was this "irritating little man who went after the 'little people' and that it took effect in a couple of months."

What's interesting is that the famous Edward R. Murrow's "Report on Joseph R. McCarthy", on March 9th, 1954 came when virtually ALL of McCarthy's senatorial support had withered, and he was a ruined man. Although Murrow is to be applauded for attacking this former War Horse, it was more as if Murrow was beating a dying horse than one alive and kicking.

The McCarthy Witch Hunt lasted four years while the Salem Witch Hunt lasted 10 months, yet they are both used as 'cautionary tales' of imagined Boogie Men, waiting to corrupt us. I never got the feeling (nor did Sally) that the McCarthy years actually were years, but took place in as short a time as Salem.

Still, I applaud Cooney and Pals for a well done movie. Maybe it inspired viewers to read more, in depth, about what went on, during those dark days of the 50's.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast