Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Her Shoes - 10/7/05

In Her Shoes - 10/7/05

from rottentomatoes.com

In Her Shoes (PG-13)
    THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Oct 7, 2005 Wide

CONSENSUS
    Honesty and solid performances make In Her Shoes a solid fit for all audiences.

CAST & CREW
    Cameron Diaz , Toni Collette , Shirley MacLaine
    Directed by Curtis Hanson

SYNOPSIS
    IN HER SHOES is the alternately hilarious and heart-rending story of two sisters with nothing in common but size 8 feet. Maggie and Rose Feller are both best friends and polar opposites when it comes to values, goals and personal style.

Maggie (Cameron Diaz ) is a party girl who barely graduated from high school, recycles jobs as quickly as yesterday's newspapers and believes her biggest asset is her attractiveness to the opposite sex. Her recurring state of unemployment leaves her virtually homeless as she bounces between the sofas of her friends and relatives. With no confidence in her intellectual ability, she prizes makeup over books and has an innate talent for choosing the perfect accessories and clothes for any occasion.

Rose (Toni Collette) is a Princeton educated attorney at a top law firm in Philadelphia. Her beautifully decorated prewar apartment is her haven from the outside world. With her nose perpetually to the grindstone, she struggles constantly with her weight and never feels comfortable in the clothes she wears. Her low self esteem regarding her physical appearance has left her dating life non-existent. Rose's one joy in life is shoes (because they always fit), but unfortunately she has few social opportunities to remove them from her closet.

After a calamitous falling out, the two sisters travel a bumpy road toward true appreciation for one another - aided along the way by the discovery of the maternal grandmother (Shirley MacLaine) they thought was dead. Through their re-connection with their grandmother, Ella, Maggie and Rose learn how to make peace with themselves and with each other. -- 20th Century Fox

MPAA RATING
    PG-13, for thematic material, language and some sexual content

RELEASE COMPANY
    20th Century Fox

GENRE
    Dramas

I'm a big Jennifer Weiner fan and love Curtis Hanson's previous work, so this is a must for me. Cameron Diaz seems like an ideal choice for the role of Maggie; I am, however, a little disappointed that they went with an average-sized actress as Rose since her being plus-sized was such a big (no pun intended) part of the novel. Toni Collette is a great actress, though, and I suppose it's possible she put on a couple of pounds for the role, just like she did for Muriel's Wedding.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I saw this last week sometime, I liked it- it was a little long, but there was real character growth, and as much as the pulling on heartstrings was obvious - I still cried I loce Toni Collette, but she in no way looked overweight to me - she was gorgeous even when they tried to make her look ugly, and I didn't understand where she got off thinking she was fat - but after reading your comment geek, I understand a bit more.

Plus, it had Mark Feurestein, and he's a sweet good-looking guy!

Roger Ebert loved it. I haven't read the book and I'm no Cameron Diaz fan, but by most accounts, it's pretty good. I'll have to check it out.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I'm a big Jennifer Weiner fan and love Curtis Hanson's previous work, so this is a must for me. Cameron Diaz seems like an ideal choice for the role of Maggie;
    That's the casting that I just cannot get over, and I think is going to keep me from seeing the movie. It's not only because I hate Cameron Diaz, but also because I always pictured Maggie as a petite woman. I pictured someone along the lines of the actress that played Sydney on Melrose Place... a 5'2 size 2. Heck, Cameron Diaz is taller than Toni Collette. That just doesn't work.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    That's the casting that I just cannot get over, and I think is going to keep me from seeing the movie. It's not only because I hate Cameron Diaz, but also because I always pictured Maggie as a petite woman. I pictured someone along the lines of the actress that played Sydney on Melrose Place... a 5'2 size 2. Heck, Cameron Diaz is taller than Toni Collette. That just doesn't work.
    Funny you should say that. I always thought of her as super-skinny and gorgeous, but not necessarily short. Also, Cameron Diaz can be quite endearing AND annoy the heck out of you at the same time - just like Maggie.

I dragged my boyfriend to see it on Saturday and we both loved it. Toni Collette did an awesome job. Has anyone read the book and seen the movie? How do they compare? I want to know if I should read it.

I loved the Jennifer Weiner books I've read and the movie was a great adaptation of the book . I wasn't sure about Cameron but she did a good job in the movie.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

in banana world
    I just saw the movie and I must say...is it just me or did Cameron Diaz get implants?

I think it's "Erin Brockowitz syndrome" - that is, a REALLY good push-up bra and various other creative techniques to help enhance her cleavage. Somehow I can't see Cameron getting implants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast