Thread: A History of Violence - 09/23/05

A History of Violence - 09/23/05

from rottentomatoes.com
    A History of Violence (R)
    THEATRICAL RELEASE
    Sep 30, 2005 Wide
    Sep 23, 2005 Limited

CONSENSUS
    A History of Violence raises compelling and thoughtful questions about the nature of violence.

CAST & CREW
    Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris
    Directed by David Cronenberg

SYNOPSIS
    A thriller from director David Cronenberg, A History of Violence stars Viggo Mortensen as a pillar of a small town community who runs a diner and lives a happy and quiet life with his wife (Maria Bello) and two children. But their lives are forever changed when Mortensen thwarts an attempted robbery and is lauded as a hero by the media, attracting the attention of some mobsters (William Hurt and Ed Harris) who believe he is someone else. -- New Line Cinema

MPAA RATING
    R, for strong brutal violence, graphic sexuality, nudity, language and some drug use

RELEASE COMPANY
    New Line Cinema

GENRE
    Dramas, Drama, Thriller

A slow-paced, but interesting film. If you've seen a David Cronenberg film, you'll know what to expect. Some gore (definitely not for the squeamish). Some over-the-top sex scenes. A simple but strange story sprinkled with strange characters. Those who haven't seen any of his films (The Fly, Deadringers, Crash), see this only if you're up for something moody and offbeat. It's Blue Velvet meets Unbreakable meets Frailty.

Happyblue: Your analysis of this movie was interesting and very different from mine. I saw it as a character study of a basically gentle man who becomes someone else entirely when his life and those of his family are threatened. I didn't think the sex was over the top, however it was more realistic than in most R rated movies. The sex scenes helped to show the great love the husband and wife had for each other and how that love had made him the man he is, rather than the man he was.

FORT Fogey
    From what everyone is saying, I don't think this movie is appropriate for me. I do like Cronenberg movies though, like Existenz.

The sex scenes felt over-the-top, to me, because of what was shown before (and yeah, also in comparison to the norm in movies). We're introduced to a perfectly happy family in small-town America. We see that movie cliche of the father tucking his little daughter to sleep and giving his son fatherly advice. Then bam! We see a wicked
    Click to see Spoiler:
    scene. The violence and sex seem jarring when we see it, which is probably the director's intention. He obviously wants to say nothing is what it first appears to be. Everyone seems to be hiding something.

I don't know if I saw the movie as a character study. The character being studied was hiding too many things about his past and his feelings. When he finally reveals some crucial information, he doesn't really change his attitude or mood. It's a pretty straightforward role for Viggo.

I do think it's a commentary on the nature violence, as you say.

I cannot wait to see this. I saw it during previews before emily rose movie and wow! I want to see it.

I saw it this afternoon and I thought it was a smart, entertaining all and surprisingly erotic thriller. A great and amazing performance from Viggo who I never really thought was very interesting outside of A Perfect Murder, Boiling Point, and Daylight. But he returns to his thriller action roots here and gives an enormously satisfying Clark-Kentish performance. I was most impressed by his transitions and also Ed Harris jockycocky bad guy role. Maria Bello gives a smutty and brave performance, it was just wonderful. I just loved the suspense and tone of the film, David Cronenberg did a great job directing and Howard Shore's score never disappoints. I forgot to mention how HOT the sex scenes are.

Being a huge fan of Viggo, I couldn't wait to buy this movie. I have to admit that I thought it was extremely disjointed. I guess that is typical of the director, but I wasn't too thrilled. I loved the acting, I just thought everything was thrown together. I especially didn't like the ending. I like a little "bang" for my buck and at the end I was just like "Whah?" It was such a non-ending. IMO the sex was extremely violent and non-emotional. That didn't really say too much to me about the characters in a positive way. However, would I watch it again? Probably in a few weeks to let myself digest.

I love this movie - of course, I am a big fan of Viggo and Ed Harris. The movie was a nice, tight, well acted suspense/mystery and had twists, turns, and surprises. The sex scenes were erotic and the chemisty between Viggo and Maria Bello was wonderful. Viggo is one of my favorites and I think he is underestimated as an actor. He oozes sex appeal and a quiet intensity that is very compelling.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I just saw this the other day and I loved it. Was it my favorite movie of all time? No. But would I recommend it to other people? Absolutely. I like "weird" movies so this didn't seem to out there to me. Also, I guess from all the press about it, I had expected it to be ultra violent and sexual.

And not that I'm a total perv or anything (ahem...), but I didn't find the sex scenes so wild, especially the first one where Mario Bello's in the cheerleading outfit. I'm guessing that prior to that, the couple had had plenty of warm missionary position sex...but that whole night was supposed to be about fantasy. As she said to Viggo, they never got to be teenagers together so it was kind of set up for them to have animal sex that night... The other sex sequence when she finds out who he really is--it was weird and violent but I didn't think it was that out of character for the plot.

There were elements of the film I didn't believe...I had gotten the impression that his diner was REALLY far from his house...but then there's the sequence of him walking to work...

Anyhow, all things considered, I really enjoyed it.

If there are any Viggo lovers out there, go rent "Indian Runner." It's another weird film but he is superb in it and plays a downright nasty guy. (There's also full frontal Viggo nudity so don't say you haven't been warned...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast