+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wong Kar Wai

Wong Kar Wai

I am a big fan of Wong Kar Wai and would like to know if any other FORT users are fans as well. I will post my comments later and would like to hear from others.

I love Wong Kar Wai, what a great director! My favorites are In the Mood For Love, Happy Together, and Chungking Express. Any of these movies would be an excellent introduction to his work, if you are someone not familiar with Wong Kar Wai, and would like to give him a try.

Are there any more by him you'd recommend as must-sees?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Oh yes, I adore In the mood for love, his masterpiece. I can write forever on that movie but won't this time as I can't be online for too long. I remember sharing that special movie for the first time with my mother, a treasured memory.

Happy Together is good but needs a few viewings before you can get into it. Maybe it's the subject matter of 2 homosexual guys. Gays are not often portrayed such as in this film in other Chinese movies.

Chungking Express is the movie that first attracted western admirers to his films.

I also like Fallen Angels, another good one.

Kao
    Huge fan here, loved Chungking Express, Fallen Angels (my favorite), In the mood for love, Happy Together, and I definitely wanted to catch 2046 when it came to the threater here but I was broke. Now I'm not anymore and it's gone.

I'm not a fan, but did enjoy some of his movies: Chungking Express and Fallen Angels. Who could forget the loveable Takeshi Kaneshiro in Fallen Angels?

Happy Together was great, but now everytime I watch that I'm reminded of the late Leslie Cheung, who I still miss.

WKW is definitely in a league of his own in the HK film industry. He's a major perfectionist and he's brilliant when it comes to casting. He'd never pick any "popular" actors just so the film is more marketable. He only picks those suitable and capable of handling his roles. As a result, he can get any actors he wants because its almost an honor to be casted in his films.

Other films include Ashes of Time, Chinese Odyssey 2002, and a enjoyable all-star casted comedy that he produced only, The Eagle Shooting Heroes. From his films, its obvious he loves Tony Leung!

His films are not only great introduction to his work, but some of HK's finest actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    Other films include Ashes of Time, Chinese Odyssey 2002, and a enjoyable all-star casted comedy that he produced only, The Eagle Shooting Heroes. From his films, its obvious he loves Tony Leung!

His films are not only great introduction to his work, but some of HK's finest actors.
    He did not direct Chinese Odyssey 2002, a god-awful movie. He was only a producer. WKW is more famous as a director. His earlier films include Days of being wild and As tears go by.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    He did not direct Chinese Odyssey 2002, a god-awful movie. He was only a producer. WKW is more famous as a director. His earlier films include Days of being wild and As tears go by.
    Sorry my bad, I meant to add that was a list of movies he produced. I know he's more famous as a director, but he's done a significant amount of producing and that's what I notice more on him.

I'm not huge on his movies, but I've always admired the fact that he's a noncomformist when it comes to his overall production. Throughout these times he'd never cast an actor because they're more marketable or popular among age groups. Its hard to find that in HK film industry these days especially in the slump their in. Even other good directors are forced to cast incompetent leads to make the film more profitable.

Jackie Chan has gone on a recent tirade about this saying a certain actor need to rebuild the industry (hint: WKW's favorite actor). Gosh Chan is such an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cwebb
    Jackie Chan has gone on a recent tirade about this saying a certain actor need to rebuild the industry (hint: WKW's favorite actor). Gosh Chan is such an ass.
    Jackie Chan is some sort of a pioneer in bring HK movies to the west. He has a right to his opinion given his high profile but I am not sure which quote you are referring to and what he actually said. His movies are more commercial whereas Wong Kar Wai movies are more art-house, is WKW big in the HK box-office ? Wong Kar Wai should follow Ang Lee's lead and make some English-language movies. He would be awesome and successful, given his big following overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner
    Jackie Chan is some sort of a pioneer in bring HK movies to the west. He has a right to his opinion given his high profile but I am not sure which quote you are referring to and what he actually said. His movies are more commercial whereas Wong Kar Wai movies are more art-house, is WKW big in the HK box-office ? Wong Kar Wai should follow Ang Lee's lead and make some English-language movies. He would be awesome and successful, given his big following overseas.
    I believe 2046 did modestly considering it was hyped up for 5 years, although some people did opted outta it because they grew tireless from WKW's reediting of the film numerous times and delaying its release. Still, the HK industry is in such a slump any film featuring WKW, Stephen Chow, Tony Leung, & Andy Lau will get plenty of publicity and profit. Its sad, but HK film industry is in a huge slump at this point.

I don't know if WKW will ever make the transition overseas. He's a stubborn and opinionated guy and probably won't come over if he feels the studios will manipulate his work. And since you're a fan, I'm sure you know, you NEVER alter WKW's work! Miramax manipulated two of Stephen Chow's previous films by editing out significant portions of it and changing its title. Which is why Kung-Fu Hustle was released by Sony Pictures instead.

As far as Jackie Chan goes, he has a tendency to whine like a baby whenever he has a film about to be released so he can gain publicity. He basically said HK film industry is in a slump, audiences are turning to Korean dramas now and that a "major star" is not doing enough to save Hong Kong. That "major star" he hints at is Tony Leung, which is probably the most ludacris statement one can make at this point considering Leung's achievement and contributions in the last 5 years, not to mention his entire career has been legendary on both the big and small screen. Chan may be a pioneer, but he rides on that title and points finger at everyone else, but himself.

Edit: Thanks Original Sinner, all this WKW talk is making me desperate to watch his films now. I haven't watched Fallen Angels since its release....freaking 10 years ago! I was young then, so I think now if I watch it I'll have more fun analyzing and reflecting on it.
    Last edited by Mrs Cwebb; 10-03-2005 at 02:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread